xisto Community
FearfullyMade

Thunderbird Does anyone use?

I hear quite about about Firefox from people, but I never here much about Thunderbird and I'm wondering why. I started using it a few months ago and I really like it. In my opinion it has nice, easy to use interface.The part I like the best about it is that I'm able to access all of my email accounts with it. There are extensions that allow you to download mail from places like Yahoo and Hotmail, which don't have POP access. That is why I like it more than Outlook becuase I can't check my Yahoo mail with Outlook.Does anyone else out there use it, and if not what do you use?

Are there really extensions for hotmail and yahoo? :P I use gmail with it so its quite convenient. Personally i think it loads pretty slow and checking it on the iexplore browser is much faster than using thunderbird. But if you keep using it, it somehows gets faster everytime you open it. There's also the gmail notifier that comes in Google. When you get mail you open thunderbird. Easy. Thunderbird is also a great companion to Firefox. You can set Firefox's default e-mail client to be Thunderbird. I don't see why anybody would want to use outlook. It is pretty cool but not as much plugins as Thunderbird and Firefox.

Are there really extensions for hotmail and yahoo?  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. There is such extensions for hotmail and yahoo.

And Lycos accounts are supported as well.

have a look

http://webmail.mozdev.org/

This extension integrate web based email accounts into Thunderbird.

You can create a account to receive web mail just like a normal email account.

The following domains are supported

hotmail.com

hotmail.co.uk

hotmail.it

msn.com

Yahoo-0-2-11 yahoo.com

yahoo.co.uk

yahoo.it

yahoo.es

Lycos-0-1-3 Lycos.co.uk

Lycos.it

Lycos.es

I did try this extension.

But it doesnot seems to work

It connects to my hotmail accoutn correctly, but the emails in the email box could not be download..

Does anyone get it works??

I use it but see short comings so I use outlook too. First off it is a trip to get it to send mail via more than one account. You even get a warning about trying to use multiple accounts for sending mail.The second reason I use outlook is for PGP security. I am still fighting with getting it setup correctly in thunderbird.What I like about thunderbird most is the plug-in capability, and the way it manages junk mail is ok. All in all it is a fine mail client and I expect it would get better.

I did try this extension.

But it doesnot seems to work

It connects to my hotmail accoutn correctly, but the emails in the email box could not be download..

Does anyone get it works??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's weird, the extension works great for both my Hotmail and Yahoo accounts. Maybe I have a newer version that works better. My Web Mail version is 0.3.2, the Hotmail component is 0.3.6, and the Yahoo component is 0.2.10.

I that isn't the problem try changing the port under Web Mail options. Their default port didn't work for me. Maybe changing it will solve your problem.

BTW, another cool extension I've found for Thunderbird is Minimize to Tray. It lets Thunderbird run in the system tray, which I find really handy.

BTW, another cool extension I've found for Thunderbird is Minimize to Tray.  It lets Thunderbird run in the system tray, which I find really handy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say that the Minimize to Tray extension is a must have.

It gets Thunderbird out of the Taskbar, and keep it running in systemn tray.

This gives you more Taskbar space for your other applications.

You can set it check your mail box in a time inteval, let say 10 minutes.

Thunderbird will let you know if there is/are new email.

ive been using a open source program called freePOPs, but im going to have to check that extention out for hotmail.im not a super user of email but i like thunderbird. does outlook have a spam filter like thunderbird? the thunderbird one seems to work pretty well.thunderbird is not as much of a obvious choice as IE v firefox. it is far nicer to look at than outlook, outlook - ugliest microsoft program ever? when i got firefox i just thought i'd get thunderbird to go with it. i think most people who convert to firefox will do this. anyone agree?

I just learned something today about being able to use Thunderbird to read Yahoo mail, I am downloading it right now just for that purpose. I am glad I found this post.I also at one point in thime had a linkto an extension for Firefox that allowed you to have plenty of options when right clicking, I am now using Firefox 1.04 and I don't have those options anymore, but I have reinstalled my OS since so that probably went with it.Does anyone know the link to the right click extension or whatever that allows you to insert smilies and BB Code into a post on any forum? If I find it I will post it on these forums somewhere.

I have never had much luck with email clients. For me it is just easier to use the webmail because it always works and isn't slow. I did use Thunderbird for a while though! :(

I'm using 3 browsers: Firefox, Opera, IE.Opera has built-in mail client, I tried to use it but it was very slow because my email is full of spams. After that, I never use any mail client anymore.