xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i use my computer a lot so i bought a laptop and a dual :) i like laptop because i move a lot in my house but if you like perfomance you can get a desktop :( since processors are available in both hardwards if you want perfomance you can have a dual on a desktop but not in a laptop ;)

this is a very interesting post...i love my laptop...just the fact that i can take it everywhere and anywhere...the only problems is...desktops still have more power :rolleyes::) some day laptops will surpass desktops...well...prolly not...maybe...nah...just to hard to say :)but yeah...my laptop is great, its not the best i have seen better, but there is always a desktop that is better...specially since my laptop cant have more than one cd drive :) or one hard drive :)...but it can have two batteries...and a floppy...but floppies are too outdated...desktops can hold bigger and better vid cards than laptop...bigger and better sound cards...for instance the audiology :):D:D:D i love that thing...they can have more hard drive space...sometimes...same with ram...sometimes...you can always have a bigger and better monitor with your desktop...even tho i do hook my laptop up to my 52 incher (tv btw ...lol...) some times :):D boy do i love that one... i have noticed that hl2 does run a lot better on desktops than laptops...altough the specs are the same...but still...very very hard to decide...but i think id take a great desktop over a laptop any day...at least untill laptops surpass desktops...hopefully

I love my laptop, I've got a HP Pavillion zd7000 w/a 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 and 512 mb of RAM (hopefully 2gb soon!). I love the portability of this thing. It's great for movies with the widescreen and it takes up very little room in my prison cell of a dorm room. theft is an issue, but nothing a good lock won't solve in my situation.

I have to go with a desktop. I love doing vanity mods to my desktops, florescent lighting, coloring my watercooling system with dye, adding side windows, putting an led light behind my case badge, you know anything to look cool. Those are some things that are really hard to do with a laptop, I mean there isn't much you can do to mod your laptop at all, and I don't like to be limited in what I do. Also when I run alot of 3d intensive programs, and... lets face it you cant fit a huge video card in a laptop. Some people need a laptop for small size, but I have the extra room and I need the extra performance!

Right now the only computer I have is a desktop. There are several reasons why I decided on a desktop. First, it was cheaper than a laptop with the same specs. Since I like playing games, I needed a pretty fast computer, which put laptops out of my budget. Also, I wanted to be able to build my computer, which is kindof hard to do with a laptop. I may someday buy a laptop in addition to my desktop, but I don't know if I'll ever abandon desktops.However, I do believe there are situations where laptops are better suited than desktops. If you have to travel and need access to your computer, then definitely go with a laptop. Also, if you only have limited space then a laptop might be the better choice. But if you are just going to sit the laptop on a computer desk most of the time then I think a desktop would be better.

The difference between the laptop and the desktop is focus on portability. Meaning laptops are built for portability not for computing power. You have to consider too that after 1 or maybe 3 years your laptop will be obsolete and as most laptop can not be upgraded. WHile a desktop can always be upgraded. The price is also an issue. Since laptops are portable they cost 3 to 5 times the regular desktop do. Meaning if you have a money that could afford a a laptop which is very good and if you used this cash to build a desktop then you will have a super past computer that will have a 1Gb of RAM and 1Gb of ATI Radeon perhaps and dual processor which is both 3.6GHz of processing speed. Wow that sounds great! What do you think? Anyway, ask yourself what kind of setup do you need, a computer that is portable but of course limited time of power supple and computing power or a desktop that you cant bring along with you but with a computing power 5 times greater that a laptop which you could add lots of peripherals like make it your own TV with cable and FM/AM :DSo good luck!

The difference between the laptop and the desktop is focus on portability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually think the main thing is the great speed and functionabiliy advantage on desktop PC's. For example there is a lot of cooling space in a desktop so the computer can be ovoerclocked to greater speeds than it already is. The same heat issue effects the type of CPU that can be installed into a laptop. It has to be a low heat CPU, which means the cache level has to be lower than desktops. The main advantage I think is the space that desktops have for parts.

As much as I love laptops, I'd have to go with desktops. You can keep adding to desktops, ram, graphics cards, drives, whatever you need; but on a laptop you can't do as much. Plus I hate the mouse on a laptops. They're really annoying. When I got this game The Sims 2 though, and put it on my desktop it wouldn't work until I put a $100 graphics card in it and on the laptop it worked with the default graphics card that came with the laptop and worked faster and in higher quality than it does now on the desktop with the new graphics card. The new graphics card is three times as powerful as the one in the laptop too, so I believe its something about my desktop. Overall though, computers (both desktops and laptops) change so often that if you keep the same one for more than 3 years without any modifications you're out of date. So I don't think that it shoudl really come down to prices or graphics performance, I think its mostly space, portability, and modifications available.

Yep i Prefer Laptops For their cool n slim looks..! even the laptops consume low Power..! I have both a desktop and 17'' wide screen laptop which is just great for computing..! Be i In home or away i just cant leave my laptop..! Well I dont prefet desktop for its limited mobility.. ! As i keep on moving from one place to another I cant stay away from computers..! So well Only laptops will do 4 me..! Yep they are At times Tough to carry from your office when ur tired working n workin..!Yeah as all said we cant upgrade Laptops..! yeah thats true..! But we can modify Only till a limit..! My verdict is Desktops---7/10Laptops-----9/10

the preference of laptop vs. PC is completely determined by what you need the computer for. here are some good reaesons to use one over the other:PC------- home- business/office- shared users- programmers- immobile userslaptop------- single-users- users who use computers for recording (shows, for example)- journalists- college-students (work on campus)

I prefer to have a desktop. From my understanding, laptops will not last as long as a desktop will because of the airflow problems. I also prefer a desktop, because it is so much easier to upgrade and maintain. it's pretty hard to put a new processor in a laptop from what i've heard.

the preference of laptop vs. PC is completely determined by what you need the computer for. here are some good reaesons to use one over the other:

PC

------

- home

- business/office

- shared users

- programmers

- immobile users

laptop

------

- single-users

- users who use computers for recording (shows, for example)

- journalists

- college-students (work on campus)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a good sum of uses, except the single users part. I singly use a computer which isn't a laptop.

I prefer Desktop cause its better and easily upgradeable but my dad prefers Laptop cause he travels a lot.The choice depends on what reason ur using it for.If ur using it for games or Photoshop,Maya,and Dreamweaver, I reccomond a Desktop.If ur using it only to store data and text and other files or ur a doctor and need for PRescription use a Laptop .U can also use the Photoshop and softwares in laptop but i reccomond u to buy a USB port mouse for gd access.Personally i find the laptop a big bore cause of the touch pad.It moves too slow.! :D.My father prefers laptop cause he can carry it around his Office easily.It depepnds on What u need it for and how much u can afford.For a costly rate u can get a cool laptop ,very light weight and 4 hours of bettery like my fathers.But still i find it a bore.I study in school ,theres no need for a laptop.Its up to u to make the decision :DBest of luck .:D--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------MESS WID DA BEST DIE LIKE THE REST - UNDERTAKER!

In general, I like desktops much better. They can be upgraded and remain useful longer. That said, their IS something to be said for portability. I guess if you don't want to play lots of games or upgrade your computer, a laptop is OK.