xisto Community
szupie

Secret Behind Your Nick/User Names Where did they come from?

When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with bipolar and depression. I needed to find things to lift myself out of the depressive periods I was having so often. My parents also did not like to see me so depressed all the time. So when they saw that I was interested in music, they leaped at the chance to get me the instuments that I was interested in. I really wanted a drum set, but they weren't quite ready for that kind of noise. So my next choice was the electric guitar. After getting my guitar, I learned about 4 chords and made up a song about a bird that was on a telephone wire by itself, thinking how he'd done his family wrong. Then a boy with a gun shot him off the wire and the birds last thought was of his family. I named this song... Lonebyrd

I've tried a lot of different screennames, and never liked any of them :DAnyway, so obviously "penguinwings" ... y'know ... penguins can't fly ... wings ... not helping ... I'll see how I feel about this one tomorrow morning o_x.

Well, once I was walking down the street, and Paul McCartney came up to me and said, "My goodness, young man, you ought to make an original handle for the internet." Because of course Paul McCartney is well-versed in internet activities. So he flipped a coin- one side was heads, the other side was "superXfiles".

Wouldn't you know, the coin landed on "superXfiles". So Paul said "I pronounce you 'superXfiles' from now on. You shall carry this name with pride into the World Wide Web." But the next day, Yoko Ono came up to me with a blue slip of paper. I took it and she walked away. On the back, it said "Don't let Paul fool you. You are 'austiniskoge'."

Well that did it. No way was I gonna listen to musical genius when I could be taken over by hippie-artist-oddity. So then I was austiniskoge.

Okay, okay. That was totally made up.

My first name: austin

"Helping verb": is

Danish city that I read about in Hans Christian Andersen: Koge

austin+is+koge

austiniskoge.

Google it!

Tansqrx = tangent squared of x = tan^2(x)

I came up with this nick during a particularly grueling semester of Calculus II. I am by nature a geek and I have always loved some of the weird symbols in math. I really liked the weirdness of squaring a trig function and not the variable, i.e. tan^2(x). I also think the tangent is the most unique of the three main trig functions (cos, sin, tan). Sin is too common and Cos is only 180 degrees away from Sin. Tan has some unique properties and looks nothing like the other two when graphed. In the pursuit of creating a very unique nick, I can up with tansqrx.

Posted Image

once upon an August, 4 years ago, my dad gave me the gift of a giant black box that was 26.4cm (x) * 33cm (y) * 9.4cm (z) [xyz are geometric planes; * is the secondary universal multiplication sign. I use this to not confuse mathematicians] and it weighed 5.4kg. Also, it was the powerhouse gaming device at the time.Can anyone figure out what type of black box that is?... It's the XBOX, the original one that I got 4 years ago on an August, right before school started for me.*P.S: There isn't really much a secret behind my name, I'm just doing this for fun :unsure:*Cheers!xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

The origin of my nick is actually a long story that some of you might not even understand. Anyway here it goes:
I'm a Chinese from Hong Kong, and while my parents were in Taiwan, I was born. They use Chinese there too, but their transcription of my name into English to put on my uh... ID? that card that signifies my identity... I don't think that it's used in the US. Well, they called me Szu Chen Lo, but actually sounds like See Ching Law in my language. 9 years later, on a Friday after a testing week which lets us out of school early, as I discovered the Little Fighter 2 game (this settings info has no meaning towards the subject, they're just facts.), I signed up for a new Yahoo! Mail account, and tried to come up with a unique name. At this point, I should tell you that my classmates call me Law-See-Pie (Last name is called first in my culture, as your family is more important) as a nick name, because it means "Screwdriver" in Cantonese, and very similar, just a change of the last word of my first name, to my real name. So, I used the "szu" part of my name and added "pie" after it, making it szupie, pronounced sue pie. I have kept the name for a long time.

How did you come up with YOUR nick/user names?

My name is simple. I am Maggie and I write. I already have a website - writemaggie - with hotmail, but it is a bit basic and I read good reviews for this sohere I am

Proleter is a sociological term to referring the working class but I forgot how I started using it. There is a football club - maybe from there.

Mine may look quite bizarre to some people, but to a geek it's damn simple and obvious.After years trying to find the perfect nickname, and an UNIQUE one, I ended up by trying to emulate Wolfenstein 3D in my KDE box. I didn't manage to make it work, so then I came back to windows using the dual-boot.I was looking for some answers to my Linux problems, and the forum I was looking for them needed registering you order for you to access their attachments. Then the first thing that came to my mind was KDE and Wolfenstein (doh). Since KDEWolfenstein was a little big, and WolfensteinKDE wasn't as pretty, I typed KDEWolf.Some time later, I found a new (and awesome, at the time) webmail site, Web.de. Since 90% of the usernames I tried were already registered, I tried KDEWolf and voilà! I did work perfectly in the first try. The same happened for years and years, in every kind of game, forum or site.So here I am nowadays =P. KDEWolf.

Yahoo! was the first place I required an ID. I inspired the nick name from the fictional Nano probe infused secret agent - Max Steel.

I used this short program of mine to get a unique and cool name.

Module Module1	Sub Main()		Dim ReadText As String		Console.WriteLine("Enter the probable words seperated by a comma:")		ReadText = Console.ReadLine()		Dim Params() As String = Split(ReadText, ",")		Console.WriteLine(vbCrLf & "Use this Nick Name:" & MakeNickName(Params))		Console.ReadLine()	End Sub	Structure CoolWords		Dim Word As String		Dim CoolNess As Double	End Structure	Function MakeNickName(ByVal Parameters() As String) As String		Dim TheCoolWords() As CoolWords = Nothing		Dim Param As String		Dim FinalNickName As String = ""		Dim Message As String = ""		Dim Character As Char		Dim Counter As Short = 0		For Each Param In Parameters			ReDim Preserve TheCoolWords(Counter)			With TheCoolWords(Counter)				For Each Character In Param					.CoolNess += GetCharCoolness(LCase(Character))				Next				.Word = Param				.CoolNess = .CoolNess / Param.Length			End With			Counter += 1		Next		Dim I As Integer, J As Integer		For I = 0 To TheCoolWords.Length - 2			For J = I + 1 To TheCoolWords.Length - 1				If TheCoolWords(J).CoolNess > TheCoolWords(I).CoolNess Then					Swap(TheCoolWords(I), TheCoolWords(J))				End If			Next		Next		Dim Uniqueness As Double = 0		For I = 1 To 0 Step -1			Uniqueness += GetUniqueness(TheCoolWords(I).Word)			FinalNickName &= LCase(Replace(TheCoolWords(I).Word, " ", ""))		Next		Return FinalNickName	End Function	Function GetCharCoolness(ByVal Character As Char) As Double		Dim CoolString As String = "a23b43c43d56e78f45g45h34i67j96k56l67m76n45o78p78q34r47s78t88u56v56w84x85y76z94 00"		If InStr(CoolString, Character) = 0 Then Return 0 Else Return Val(Mid$(Split(CoolString, Character)(1), 1, 2)) / 100	End Function	Function GetUniqueness(ByVal Word As String) As Double		Dim UniqueString As String = "Max Steel05Nano Probe infused94Secret Agent06N-Tek45T-Juice96Turbo Powered60X-Games05"		If InStr(UniqueString, Word) = 0 Then Return 0 Else Return Val(Mid$(Split(UniqueString, Word)(1), 1, 2)) / 100	End Function	Sub Swap(ByRef Value1, ByRef Value2)		Dim Temp		Temp = Value1		Value1 = Value2		Value2 = Temp	End SubEnd Module

With the input of "Max Steel,Nano Probe infused,Secret Agent,N-Tek,T-Juice,Turbo Powered,X-Games" I had before me turbopoweredmaxsteel.

It didn't end there. Being on Yahoo! got me eventually banned from entering chat rooms, because of having more than 4 IDs in the same room. So I had to get a new one, and got the e removed from turbopowerdmaxsteel and thats how it has been ever since.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

I have gone by MANY nicknames and screen names... On here I just use two of them.

First off, my user name: rwhj07. It's actually just my initials and my lucky/favorite number. I used to go by rwhj7 (actually still do in hotmail), but I had to redo one of my accounts over, and it already previously saw the 7 in my name, so hmmmmm... I just added the zero in front... I made a dummy account for friends to use files from me... it was a lame attempt at a somewhat throw together ftp site... there I went ahead and used _07.

As for my Display name, I have just began using it... The first time I have used it was for my myspace. It is skedad. I was hoping my wife would go be skemom, but she didn't really get my idea until AFTER she did her accounts! Oh well! If that is beginning to be hints... the ske part are my kids. I have three, and unlike our website's name... I was able to have them in their order of age....

Skylar, Kari and Evan. I plan to make my website SKEMB, which adds me [bob], and my wife, Mandy. If I did it in that order it would be BMSKE... not really an easy word, but it could have just stayed that way... I just wanted to make it easier to just make it seem like a word, not a name or initial... Skylar, Kari, Evan, Mandy, Bob. I have been looking for site names FOREVER, and now it is just what I was looking for, and symbolic no less!

- bob - AKA skedad

Mordent's sort of a mixture between Mordan, my previous online alter-ego, and my musical taste. A mordent is a musical term, and as I played the violin when I first heard the word I liked it. Since then, I've slowly moved away from Mordan to Mordent, although I still answer to the former (don't ask "why Mordan?", because I honestly can't remember) as I keep the character from several games with that name. Still, as time goes on Mordan's dying out and Mordent's moving in.I'd be tempted to change to Mordant, but it just doesn't sound as cool to me. Aside from that, Mordent nicely shortens to "Mord". :blink: