xisto Community
jwcgator

Possibility Of A Google Os ?

Would you buy a Google OS?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really, a google OS isn't what is needed. What is needed is a free OS that is as easy to use and work with as microsoft's Windows(for the normal tasks that a normal noob will do on a computer), but without the downsides and pitfalls of both windows and linux in its current form.

Linux could get there, and I look forward to trying out ubuntu linux/gnoppix to see if they have moved things that direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree but unfortunately an OS that works like Windows would be illegal and the big Microsoft Corporation would crush it before it would be widely used.

i think its called CherryOS

or maybe not.. i cant find a good link.

anyways, there IS an open source clone of MS windows, which is compatable with windows applications, no emulation !

however last time i looked, it was a long way from being finished.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cherry OS is actually an emulator which lets you run a Mac OS on your PC. It's out now and you can download it for about $50. You can proabably find more info here.

I also agree that with Majestic and Dizasta on a Google OS not being what is needed right now but if it does come out and is good then I would try it to see what it's like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't bother with Cherry OS because it is nothing more then a rip off of PearPC. If you want more information about this check out the Cherry OS Post.

Come on guys, Google guys have already enough work. I also read in another topic taking about a Google Webhost service. I am sure those (awesome) guys will make everything they can. If they can make a webhost service, they will make it, and will be kick *bottom*. Just let them be :rolleyes:

I think it's a great thing what the people at Google are doing for the internet comunity at the moment, and they sure are making a huge influence and impact, but as they get more and more powerful, I feel they will go down the road of Microso%t, and put the green stuff ahead of their loyal customers. I would be against a Google OS, I would never buy it or trust it, as they would simply become too powerful, and they would surely lose a large chunk of the popularity.

you have to remember if there is a will, there is a way! - sure if google made a OS that prevented files from being infected, it would only be a matter of time before some hacker bypasses the new security.You will just allways have to be 1 step ahead hehe

I think an google OS would be a bad idea. Google is good at searching(not all the time...but hey nothing is perfect) And I think they should stick to what they are good at.

I don't think google will ever try to make an OS. They will never penetrate the OS market. Competetion from old timers like Windows,Unix and free OSes like Linux,_BSD would be too much to handle. I think the direction they would be taking is to provide services via web paid by subscription. Corporations would love that idea as new technologies will be implemented on existing systems with less cost.Company to watch out for OS is Apple since they have plans to comt to the x86 architecture. Lets see how that goes (btw Apple Mac OSX is a variant of BSD Unix)

Well... they have their own mail service, mapping service, and (surprise, surprise) search engine... Heck, "Google" has officially become both a verb and a noun in the dictionary... I mean, eventually Google might dabble into a new OS. After they own the internet, of course.

I think it wouldn't make much sense. Making an OS takes A LOT of hard work, A LOT of money and A LOT of dedication. Plus, it wouldn't making anything special, as it would probably be like any other OS, probably more like Linux at the moment, which was very User unfriendly, and then it would need all the applications, etc, and A BUNCH of followers, which, unless they made it free, they wouldn't get. And by the way, I'm pretty sure it's practically impossible to be able to run an application on any OS without an emulator, except if it's Java, which I think also needs some changes for the different OS.

OS no, Google thin client terminal....maybe.Think of something a PS2 mini size with blue tooth keyboard that hooks up to your tv and connects through broadband much like the idea behind WebTv/MSNTV. Logs you into a central Google network and then you can search/browse/playgames from there.Not a new idea. That's been Scott McNealy's vision for past couple decades only replace Google with SUN.

That is not impossible. Google is following the Microsoft path. It's likely they will end up with an operating system. They have created webmail portals and latest is an messenger like Google Talk. What google aims is becoming the world's next monopoly. They will try every means to get their goal.

OS no, Google thin client terminal....maybe.

That can happen, what google has done so far is imitation not innovation. Google Talk looks impressive in layout, but it has nothing new. Client terminal connecting to a google server :D and you live and breath google

If they'd make an OS, it would probably some tiny OS, having all the Google features installed, plus some basic management and office programs.Imagine, Google OS, featuring Google Talk, Google Desktop Search, Google Explorer, Google Media Player :D

I might, however I'm not really into all of the Google crazes, the only things I use that ar Google are the searc engine, and GMail. But they might make an OS, however it seems more likely that they will start shaping themselves more after Yahoo! and MSN, which they've already done quite well, even though they aren't doing it in the right way thet they will get noticed. I don't think when they replicate themselves as another Yahoo! that they will ever gain as much publicity for their other features as Yahoo! did, does anyone remember the old Yahoo! comercials, where someone found something using Yahoo! and shouted out Yahoo! That gained alot for Yahoo, it'll be hard for Google to get there.

And I geuss the moral of my story is Google is trying to become like Yahoo! though I think it will fail, I just don't think one of them will make an OS.

But I would buy it if the features where good enough.