xisto Community
jwcgator

Possibility Of A Google Os ?

Would you buy a Google OS?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The people at google are smart! They could easily make an OS!

They would make it so that viruses could not infect it or the files!!!

But It would be compatible with todays software and games!!!

Yay Or Nay?

1064282549[/snapback]

why would you buy an OS when you can get things like ubuntu for free?

linux is becoming more user friendly all the time and soon people are going to prefer very customizable and diverse yet compatible operating systems to be able to suit their own needs. in the future there will be tons of operating systems baased on some kind of compatible framework

sigh.... BOREING,,,,Google has announced that they are working on relasing a desktop Operating system...The Operating system they will use.. GNUThe Kernel they will use... Linux.Basically, a Linux distro...A new Exciting Distro ???Nope... they are basing it on Ubuntu !!!Boreing Boreing Boreing.Ubuntu.. quite easy to use..However... there is nothing special about it.Im betting it will be yet anouther average, non sticking out distro to add to the pool.maybe a massive success because of Googles advertiseing power, and googles huge buisness name...but i dont see it sticking out with the truely innovative distro's.

If they take ubuntu and make it into the true user friendly desktop linux that it strives so hard to be, Google could have a winner on their hands. I wish them luck (wherther I'll be using it or not) since it will open ALOT of peoples eyes to linux of Google releases a distro. Think about it, we hear about linux distros all the time because we are who we are, but everyone (geek or not) hear about the things google does. If they release a linux distro alot of people will take notice that normally wouldn't. I say it'll be pretty awesome even if they don't manage to improve upon the ubuntu base too drastically.Plus they obviously have the money now that it wouldn't be farfetched to think they COULD do some good things for a linux distro.

If they release a linux distro alot of people will take notice that normally wouldn't. I say it'll be pretty awesome even if they don't manage to improve upon the ubuntu base too drastically.

I can just imagine it now, hearing your grandma talking about a new product invented by google called Linux, than has only just been created.

1,000,000 times worse than the GNU/Linux naming controversy.

Out of all the distro's to base it off, why Ubuntu...

MacOSX is a very easy to use operating system, but its based off FReeBSD (a very difficult to use Server OS)

to make a user friendly distro, they dont need to start with a user friendly distro.

start with a powerfull distro, and improve the user friendlyness.. or better yet, design a completely new distro from scratch.

Since it would in turn be using debians apt-get system, I think its a fine choice. I loves my apt-get :) While Ubuntu sometimes feels dumbed down too much for my liking, I've never had any actual glaring issues with it (I have it on this computer here at work). For the most part apt-get is a breeze so installing new software is simple, theres tonnes of pre-built packages since it can use .deb files, and it has insane hardware detection/auto configuration and the like. Then again if they completely redo the frontend like MacosX did then really the backend wont matter all that much... as you won't be directly interfacing with it for most tasks and those that you do, the functionality wouldn't liekly be that impaired if they chose a poorer distro.

With all the resources that google has, its won't be surpising if they do create their own os. But I will assume that it'll suck and it will never push off microsoft. It'll probably be like an os for mac, google is a good search engine and all, but I cannot imagin it comming out with their own os so soon

I have just one question...what does Google do? They have a sweet search engine and...is there really a reason there share price is through the roof besides it being popular and then everyone jumping on that band wagon. And if they do just have a search engine, and various other web-based services, how could that possibly relate to the intricasies *spelling* of a modern operating system. There is talk of Windows Vista requiring 6Gb of webspace. I doubt that Google can spew up that much.Besides Linux, I can't see any major OS being able to compete against Microsoft. What we really need is Windows under GPL. Microsoft can use the Red Hat method of making money while resting on their office and other apps for money. They prolly rake in more with those anyway.

As a gamer, I'm going to stick with Windows. Because I doubt that a Google OS will have very much support from game developers. If I was running some type of server or something, I might use Google for it.

Firstly, no one can compete with Microsoft with their OS. Its hyper troublesomeness and unlimited bugs have unmatched competition by none other than themselves!

I have seen Google integrate with many things lately. They've integrated with MS IE & Mozilla Firefox. They've got Google Desktop for Windows & MacOS. I think they deserve an OS to themselves.

If Google decides to build an OS, then I'm sure it will be packed with integration. If they can do so much with Others' OS, imagine what they'll do with their own! Google's innovativeness is unmatched by anybody on the Internet. If it does come, I think Google's OS would ROCK !

Apart from the praises, I don't think Google would have any time to think about anything else for now - they're neck-deep in working on Gmail, Orkut and Google Talk. It'll be a long time for them to think of an OS and be innovative at the same time.

As far as compaitibility is concerned, software developers around the world would be much too happy to switch over from Windows to Google's OS since they're fed up with Windows and its bugs & problems! Not even a month after release, and Google's OS would be the world's standard in no time! I bet Google would never hesitate to contract with MacOS or Linux for cross-compaitibility. Unlike Microsoft, Google is concerned about its customers and would not keep anything to themselves. Well, if someone like Microsoft can do it, then its a peice of cake for Google!

I just hope that Google's OS (too) wouldn't be 'by invitation only' !!! (Just kidding)

I trust Google that much and I bet it woudn't let me down.

-Omkar Ekbote

Didn't I hear that Google is planning the first Internet Based O/S?

I think that's very feasible, no Operating System on your local PC, just BIOS, and Networking Software. They say that Internet based software is the "thing" of the future. I dunno. I've played with an Internet based Word Processing Program. It was okay, but if for some reason you can't get a good connection (almost a thing of the past now) but if you couldn't, then you'd be dead in the water (or in Non-Cyber Space!)

Posted Image