xisto Community
jwcgator

Possibility Of A Google Os ?

Would you buy a Google OS?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Google Os! :) Seems to be a good Profitabe Idea ,But it would be a lot of complexity,There are many softwares out there and making google os compatible with them would be a really difficult issue to solve.Though Google will also have to keep the os cheap ,it would also need a very good performance ,because if the current os are really at thrie best ,google though can make an operating system ,but would it be that efficient,Google Os ,have to be really fast and very easy to use like windows and should also be providing more flexibility than linux ,and the main thing is that they should be compatible to a lot of softwares out there Google is a wonderful searching instrument for the net ,but the os market can only be ruled by the windows ,its the best and the cheapest of all.I feel there are too many other innovative markets where google can tap, and there is no need for google to get into competition for os when they have so many innovative ways to break in other good markets.There are many other lucrating fields out there which google can tap into like mobiles or even robotics.Google shouldn't go in a feild such competitive Best of luck to google for its other venture but my answer for google operating system is nayyyyyy :)

Even though Google is successful, I don't think they can pull of an OS. If they do, I wouldn't try it for a year or two so that they can work out the bugs. They need to build their reputation too. Also the performance and reliability. All these things are considered by me in order to test an OS. I don't think this is the right market for Google considering, there is already Macs, Windows and Linux. I doubt any of the people using these OS's are willing to make the switch.

I think that if google made an OS, it would be very different from anything we see currently today.For one, google is primarily an internet web based company, so they would probably make their OS web based (and free of course).You would boot up your computer, and it is basically an operating system devoted only to the web (kind of a full screen browser). Everything on it you need to be connected to the internet...kind of like their current web applications such as the spreadsheets and documents ones they have.Basically what i am getting at is I think it would be more like a remote desktop kind of connection, where you can access "your" computer from anywhere. They would of course provide some sort of installable (or maybe bootable cd medium) that allows you to easily access this system without the regular desktop clutter...That is sort of my theory on what a google os would be like, oh and of course there would be relevant text ads on your desktop.

i dont think google will create a os because they are mainly about seaching and keeping tabs and not about providing people with a complete os. i mean i think it would be annoying to see a google logo every where and it wouldntt have any compition

Google will one day take over the planet with their services. They are already a big corporate force in the IT world, so why not throw some money into making a new operating system? My guess is that it would be free, but ad-based. Let's face it, alot of people go to google ads when they want to buy stuff online. Their marketing has been awesome at getting customers and satisfying business-owners. I wonder what the name would be? G-OS? GoooOSe? - Trinifawk

I dont think I would buy an os from Google. Even if they made one it probably wouldnt be very good. They are mostly a web based complany (Not to much work in C++ other then some toolbars). It would be hard to imagen what a google OS would look like. When I picture google I think of a plate white background and colored letters (that are bold). Thanks,Sparkx

I love google! I am bias! and yes, I will use whatever they push in the internet. They had been so good to people and I have no complains since it is all for FREE!!! If they release it for free, they they will be my savior. I had been using Zenwalk Linux, its the best amongst all distro I used since I dont have a super computer at home..

If googleOS comes out! its going to be a hit in BitTorrent!

Not necessarily, unless they have a great advertising campaign behind it. That's the main problem for all Linux is that there's no advertising dollars going to the mainstream market as apparently Linux is not yet ready. The only UNIX that is ready for the market is MacOS X with its Mach Kernel and BSD userland.xboxrulz

They could just advertise on their website. They already have a large number of people that use it. Anything that is put on google's main page will probably get thousands of hit a minute. One thing with google is that they dont need to advertise. You never see a TV comercial for it (or at least I haven't) and I dont get popups that say come to google (other then the powered by google text). So if they did come out with an OS I am sure it wouldn't be a problem getting people to buy it.Thanks,Sparkx

I think impossible to be infected by viruses a bit of a stretch... One of the reasons many less common operating systems have sooo fewer problems with viruses is that there are simply less people looking to infect computers running it. Whatever reason somebody made a virus for they made it to infect lots of computers - and most people run Windows.

A google OS would be interesting, but I doubt it would be commercial. Google seems to like open source software, so it would more likely be linux-based OS. If it was released, I'd install it on my spare PC, to try it out. It would be interesting, and I can see many users using it if it were to be created.

A google OS would be cool.Although features are good, I'd expect google to come up with a lot of them. :)My vote is: Mabey, it depends on the price.(maybe) The features are important, but I don't want to buy anything that's like, $2000!I could buy it if it was cheap. :PGoogle could make one, possibly.

I wouldn't even think Google would charge people for it since they support tons of open source software and many of their technologies have been opensourced. That, or they just make it available for free. The only few services I can think of that is fee based is Google Earth Pro/Plus, Google Apps (the higher versions) and AdSense.xboxrulz

I wouldn't even think Google would charge people for it since they support tons of open source software and many of their technologies have been opensourced. That, or they just make it available for free. The only few services I can think of that is fee based is Google Earth Pro/Plus, Google Apps (the higher versions) and AdSense.
xboxrulz

Yeah, that's true.

But if it had tons of tons and features, and it was free, Google would be making no money.

But if it was not free, Google would be making money and probably would use that money to expand the OS. :)
Edited by Snake (see edit history)

The in-house GoogleOS is based on Ubuntu, probably loads of in-house software for all the millions they do. That will never be released, because it contains loads of trade secrets. Google will never make an OS themselves, just not their area.