xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whannagan

The Best Operating System

What do you think is the best operating system ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a very debatable topic.

With all the new operating systems of there it seems that there will one day be a operating system better than windows. There probably already is a better operating system, its just that there are too many Microsoft Windows users out there.

I'm going with Windows. The reason being that all my friends and family use it so its really hard to do everything you would like on another OS, but it is possible.

Windows is also rapidly coming out with new operating systems such as Longhorn.

If you want a sneak peak go here: http://winsupersite.com/article/faqtip/windows-longhorn-faq

-LoipsD

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well,only 'rapidly' if by rapidly you mean 'in a few years' or 'rate of dropping the features they promised'. Then it is coming very rapidly indeed.

Microsoft....im not sure if they are Lazy, Greedy or Stupid ! maybe a combination of all 3.Bill gates is an excellent buisnessman, thats not in question.But Take Windows aproach to Securety...Spyware Removers,Virus Scanners,Adware removersMS has a Beta release of there new Anti spyware program available to download for free.MS is also meant to be working on there own virus scanner, and there are many 3rd partytools.Notice anything ???these are ALL cures to the problem, ANY IDIOT will tell you that PREVENTION is Always better than the cure !Virus scanners are always 1 step behind of virii, simply because they cannot scan for a virus fingerpriint untill after the virus has started becoming a nuisance and been detected by anti virus company's.ALSO, a virus scanner cant detect a virus untill its already on your system, this is a Cure, not a prevention.The only attempt i can find at prevention in windows isthe firewall... I have a Windows firewall, and a router NAT hardware firewall, but windiows still manages to get virii.Now lets look at the Linux / Unix aproach to securety....1) Chroot Jails, if a server is compromised the attacker is locked into a subfolder, without root access they are inncapable of moving out of that servers folder, they have no access to the system.this is damage controll, windows has no damage control, if your hacked, potential damage is unlimitde.2) Tripwire, similar to a virus scanner, however, tripwire will detect any maliciouse behavior by things un-known to key files. It takes fingerfrints of all your non trivial files, and stores them in an encrypted database, if a fingerprint changes, yuo are warned. This is Cure.3) Snort, a packet sniffer. it watches all internet traffic. Snort can Scan for virii ON THE WIRE.if it detects a virus is being transmitted, uploaded or downloaded, it can instantly adjust your firewall to react, for example Ban that Ip for X amount of time, or simply Drop all packets containing parts of virii.This is PREVENTION.4) Any flaws are Instantly patched... INSTANTLY. there was recently a flaw in the linux kernel that allowed a local user with access, to force the machine to re-boot, even if they didnt have re-boot access.this was a pointless flaw, because any local user could just hit the reset button, or pull the power cable out. however there next day there was a patch. it often takes MS months to patch even critival vunrabibilities. this is PREVENTION.. (it doent count as prevention if you wait for poeple / virii to start exploiting it)5) Some Servers are compiled without Loadable module support, meanting all drivers must be hard compiled into the kernel. Without loadable module support, the only way an attacker could root kit your system, would be to recompile the kernel... impossable to do without detection, and insanely high access rights.... PREVENTION.6) ohh, and one more privilages. if a user on the system is stupid enouigh to download and run a program from an untrused source, the damage that script could do is limited to that users home directory.because that user doent have write access to the main OS, just there own files.Hey Microsoft... How many of your customers can read and write Hexidecimal Machine Code ???None of them... so WHY DO YOU GIVE NORMAL USERS WRITE ACCESS TO SYSTEM LIBRARIES AND OTHER CITICAL FILES.... cummon guys, this is just stupid.Again... this is called PREVENTION.Now.... the other side of the argument is "Yeah, but windows is easyer to use" and the answe is yes... Windows is easyer to use... However a Push bike with stabaliser wheels is easyer to driv than a Car....but i would never Recomend you you take your 3 wheeler peddal bike down the freeway !!!Windows, its easy to use.... but its a crap OS.is ease of use an excuse ?? there is no reason why they couldnt implement ALL the above into Microsoft windows, without making it any harder to use.but they dont... Why ? Stupiud / Lazy / Greedy ? you tell me.

Microsoft....

im not sure if they are Lazy, Greedy or Stupid ! maybe a combination of all 3.

Bill gates is an excellent buisnessman, thats not in question.

But Take Windows aproach to Securety...

Spyware Removers,

Virus Scanners,

Adware  removers

Now.... the other side of the argument is "Yeah, but windows is easyer to use" and the answe is yes... Windows is easyer to use... However a Push bike with stabaliser wheels is easyer to driv than a Car....

but i would never Recomend you you take your 3 wheeler peddal bike down the freeway !!!

Windows, its easy to use.... but its a crap OS.

is ease of use an excuse ?? there is no reason why they couldnt implement ALL the above into Microsoft windows, without making it any harder to use.

but they dont... Why ? Stupiud / Lazy / Greedy ? you tell me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you can put all that stuff in osx with fink, darwinports, or its already built in. AND its easy to use.

And you can put all that stuff in osx with fink, darwinports, or its already built in. AND its easy to use.

Darwin (base of macOSX) is similar to *nix, mant people consider Darwin to be the 4th *BSD.

so when i say *nix im usually talking about Solaris, *BSD, MacOSX, and Linux.

whats fink ?
i assume darwin ports is a clone of BSD ports and similar to Portage (Gentoo Linux)

MacOSX, in terms of average use is easy to use... but i assume you still have to have a bit of knoledge to correctly setup snort or a chroot envoronment ???

Has anyone heard of Lindows? It's an interesting concept- I had it on a computer when it came out, its sorta a mix of windows and linux. I didn't like it all too much, but then again i havent tried any further developed software so i don't know what its like now.

-------------------

prs: Try not make one liner posts or 2-3 consecutive posts on the same topic.. use the edit feature instead and add in to your old post. I've removed the post you made right after this and am adding the content of that post in here:

This is what you'd put into the post immediately following this:

prs: I'd have to say that the best OS is either Mac OS X or Linux Redhat, depending on what you are using it for.

Such posts might be considered as SPAM.

--------------------

m^e

i love windows XP.. fedora core is also good.

Has anyone heard of Lindows? It's an interesting concept- I had it on a computer when it came out, its sorta a mix of windows and linux. I didn't like it all too much, but then again i havent tried any further developed software so i don't know what its like now.

-------------------

prs: Try not make one liner posts or 2-3 consecutive posts on the same topic.. use the edit feature instead and add in to your old post. I've removed the post you made right after this and am adding the content of that post in here:

This is what you'd put into the post immediately following this:

Such posts might be considered as SPAM.

--------------------

m^e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is just a linux distribution which tries to get a windows look and feel. not actually a combination of windows and linux..

and they changed their name to Linspire because microsoft complained that its copyright infringement for the word "windows"..

Most countried that MS cares about rules that Lindows is not infringment of windows because hey,, there pronounced, and spelled differently.so Ms did what its best at, and threw money at the problem and it went away.they paid a HUGE sum of money to Lindows to get them to change the namr to linspire.as far as commercial distro's for the newbs goes, i think Xandros is one of the better.

windows is very popular, but it's so stupid and I don't understand why there are a lot of programms for Windows. Linux is our future I think. I hate windows's "Not Responding". Linux don't count some incredible formul in Tray as Windows :P

I have to admit, Mac is my fave OS, but Windows is the one that I am forced to use, just for compatability sake. Saves me a lot of hassle, rather than downloading and installing tons of conversion softwasre on a Mac.Hopefully Mac's will continue to increase in popularity!John

I have to admit, Mac is my fave OS, but Windows is the one that I am forced to use, just for compatability sake.  Saves me a lot of hassle, rather than downloading and installing tons of conversion softwasre on a Mac.

Hopefully Mac's will continue to increase in popularity!

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its getting better, two new conversion software things came out recently. If either of them are better/cheaper than Virtual PC then all these compatibility issues that people are having will go away.

Other than that, hasn't this thread been talked to death?

:P  :P  :P what do you think i think that mac os X is? :P  :P  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all depends on what you define as 'best'

what i mean is that if you're a coding wizard or something like that you'll probably go linux or even unix

if you look at user friendly interfances etc ... i guess i'd say OSX Panther (for now)

i vote for microsoft and i didn't try yet Mac OS X and i wanna to try it but i thinx microsoft is the best os cose it easy and searching for a os to be goodi got idea lets make os and put what we wanna in it and what we love and say what we hate