xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whannagan

The Best Operating System

What do you think is the best operating system ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WOOO gentoo !people are always saying how hard things are to install in Linux. they have never used emerge.yesterday i "emerge --update system" by the time the simpsons was finished, my pc was again, bleeding edge.

I love emerge, it's amazing. I use a cron to update certain packages for me at like 5 in the morning. Works great. The glsa-check is also an amazing tool. Updates all packages with known security problems, yet another brilliant idea.

Not one person can cay that any one OS is best. The best OS will all depend on what kind of system you are running, and what will you be doing with that OS. In my opinion, I like XP pro because it has a very easy to use GUI, and most of the apps made these days, are made for windows only.

and most of the apps made these days, are made for windows only.

and the vast majority of free software (not including the spyware infested stuff) is made for Unix / Linux Only.
My Linux System has a far better choise of Media players than your windowsXP system will ever have... well, windowsXP is limited to Windows Media PLayer, and the dead project winamp.

Linux has Amarok, Xmms, Beep-media-player, mplayer, Xine, and many more.

Not one person can cay that any one OS is best. The best OS will all depend on what kind of system you are running, and what will you be doing with that OS

yeah we already discussed this and decided...

Best OS's for different tasks....

FreeBSD (or possably Solaris) for servers
MacOSX for desktop publishing (no contest)
Windows for Games.
Gentoo Linux for performance for EXPERT users only
Linux (fedora / mandrake / xandros / lindows / suse) for general desktop
OpenBSD for super paranoid security (not a single security hole in 10 years !)
NetBSD for portability (some1 managed to install netBSD on a gameboy Advance !!!)

and the vast majority of free software (not including the spyware infested stuff) is  made for Unix / Linux Only.

My Linux System has a far better choise of Media players than your windowsXP system will ever have... well, windowsXP is limited to Windows Media PLayer, and the dead project winamp.

Linux has Amarok, Xmms, Beep-media-player, mplayer, Xine, and many more.

yeah we already discussed this and decided...

Best OS's for different tasks....

FreeBSD (or possably Solaris)  for servers

MacOSX for desktop publishing (no contest)

Windows for Games.

Gentoo Linux for performance for EXPERT users only

Linux (fedora / mandrake / xandros / lindows / suse) for general desktop

OpenBSD for super paranoid security (not a single security hole in 10 years !)

NetBSD for portability (some1 managed to install netBSD on a gameboy Advance !!!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with what your saying except for your choice for best general desktop, that's still more of a personal opinion thing. Personally, I like Mac OS X the best for general desktop. It has the Dock, Expose, and some other cool stuff. But I thing your right with everything else. It just matters what you want to do.

I like Mac OS X the best for general desktop.

i would have said MacOSX / Linux for genral desktop, but i had already given MacOSX the desktop publishing crown.

however where i live, there is ony one shop in the whole city (nottingham england) that i know of that sells Mac hardware / software.

Pc hardware is almsot anywhere, and all of linux's software is available on the internet.

but i would definatly say that Desktop is Linux / MacOSX... moving towards Linux as nerdyness increaces, and towards the mac for the first time user / novice / whatever.

Ok, Linux and MacOSX can share the desktop crown, depending on the type of user.

i would have said MacOSX / Linux for genral desktop, but i had already given MacOSX the desktop publishing crown.

however where i live, there is ony one shop in the whole city (nottingham england) that i know of that sells Mac hardware / software.

Pc hardware is almsot anywhere, and all of linux's software is available on the internet.

but i would definatly say that Desktop is Linux / MacOSX... moving towards Linux as nerdyness increaces, and towards the mac for the first time user / novice / whatever.

Ok, Linux and MacOSX can share the desktop crown, depending on the type of user.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think, as an OS, Mac OSX wins hands down. As a 'platform' it is less clear because of hardware reasons. Now, if only linux users would start learning and copying the mac instead of MS.

Personally, while I love my mac, for a lot of reasons I feel that linux or something like it needs to become 'the' OS. BUT, it needs to do it by being the most user friendly and powerfull OS(linux has nothing even close to cocoa AFAIK).

This will only happen when someone outside of programers is allowed to call the shots. Programers write dandy code, but the suck at useability, they suck bad.

I think, as an OS, Mac OSX wins hands down.  As a 'platform' it is less clear because of hardware reasons.  Now, if only linux users would start learning and copying the mac instead of MS. 

Personally, while I love my mac, for a lot of reasons I feel that linux or something like it needs to become 'the' OS.  BUT, it needs to do it by being the most user friendly and powerfull OS(linux has nothing even close to cocoa AFAIK).

This will only happen when someone outside of programers is allowed to call the shots.  Programers write dandy code, but the suck at useability, they suck bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like we have been saying, no single OS is good at everything.

for example, i doubt even the biggest Mac fan would argue that MacOSX would make a better Mission Critical Juicy hackers target fileserver, than OpenBSD !

Sadly, windows has to win for gamers support, and hardware support.

For the nerdy hackers types, linux HAS to win... its got too many kickass features.

as i speak, i am using an AMD64 computer, an AMD Athlon XP, and a pentium2-266 as a cluster computer to Author a DVD at almost double the speed my AMD64 could possably do alone.

and harnessing the wasted CPU cyles of machines in my house was as simple as

"emerge openmosix && genkernel --menuconfig all"

so although i like MacOSX, its just not nerd orientated enough. lol.

Like we have been saying, no single OS is good at everything.

for example, i doubt even the biggest Mac fan would argue that MacOSX would make a better Mission Critical Juicy hackers target fileserver, than OpenBSD !

Sadly, windows has to win for gamers support, and hardware support.

For the nerdy hackers types, linux HAS to win... its got too many kickass features.

as i speak, i am using an AMD64 computer, an AMD Athlon XP, and a pentium2-266 as a cluster computer to Author a DVD at almost double the speed my AMD64 could possably do alone.

and harnessing the wasted CPU cyles of machines in my house was as simple as

"emerge openmosix && genkernel --menuconfig all"

so although i like MacOSX, its just not nerd orientated enough. lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your first point is correct, but the comment about windows is about the 'platform'. Windows isn't any better innately for gaming than MacOS or linux(unless you really care about directX). That was the point I was making. Arguing technical merits, windows just sucks.

I think it all depends on what you use your computer for:-If you like photo/video editing then Mac OS X is the best-For the gamer then Windows XP is the best-Coders/hackers and those with old systems who know a lot about computers will go for Linux-Most general users will go for Windows but those fed up with its bugs will use MacsThere are also many more distros than those in the poll choices that are designed for different types of computer users:-Redhat/Fedora, Mandrake, and Knoppix being for new users-Slackware, Debian, and Gentoo being for those who want the most out of their computer.

Spare me the flames and curses after my post ...> Windows XP Sp2 with The latest Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta Yeah i know what ur thinking ... but it's still better and more widely used whatever you , Macintosh or all linux developers will do and when Longhorn is out it's going to be just like any other windows .. and no force on earth will change that .. . except an earthquake eating Microsoft under the ground . so stop posting about OSs please .. pretty please .. We all know u fancy 1337 ppl using Linux cuz ur so 1337 and microsoft is so lame ... you all are 1337 hux0rz now let us live with our lame Windows , I love it and i didn't face a single incident , i got so sick of this USELESS war ppl are waging against microsoft for the 120392109302190 times ,if you dont like Microsoft , dont use windows and use linux , dont just sit here and ***** . end of story .

I think, as an OS, Mac OSX wins hands down.  As a 'platform' it is less clear because of hardware reasons.

Thats very true. You have to separate the two items. Windows XP is the best for gamin mostly because most games are written for it, not because it's really a better OS for gaming.

Now, if only linux users would start learning and copying the mac instead of MS.

Amen! The one thing I don't like about Linux is how much it is like Windows. :)

Programers write dandy code, but the suck at useability, they suck bad.

So true! :P

Your first point is correct, but the comment about windows is about the 'platform'. Windows isn't any better innately for gaming than MacOS or linux(unless you really care about directX). That was the point I was making. Arguing technical merits, windows just sucks.

yeah, when i said windows wins for gaming and hardware, i was talking about windiows as a product, not an OS.

Amen! The one thing I don't like about Linux is how much it is like Windows

be be fair, Linux is nothing like windows.. at all, the internal stuctur is based on Unix standards, somthing windows has avoided.

about linux distro's being similar to windows, i assume you are talking about the open source project "KDE" which as stated on its web page, is a "Unix desktop environment"
nobody over says unix is too much like windows.

KDE is a very small part of Linux, and isnt needed, many distro's actually dont install KDE per default, and use Gnome instead.

As for learning and copying the Mac..... Well, there called OSX desktop clones :)

As for the comment about useability sucking... well...
the thing about amateur programmers, and other contributers of linux,
they seem to love the codeing, but never bother to learn User interface design theory.

At my university, there is a module on User interface design.... and yep, its not all about making it look good, there are formulaes.. lol.. did i take it... nope, it boreing.