xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whannagan

The Best Operating System

What do you think is the best operating system ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

True, but it also depends on what you do on your computer as well. If you are a programmer or just someone who chats online and everything else in between makes a difference. Some are content with how things work, others like to hack and tweak like nuts. I'm the inbetween. I play a game, and make things for it, run a couple websites and chat, so to me winxp holds enough for what I do.

The arguemt here is between what OS is BETTER, and what OS is more SUITED to a given person... you may count this as the same thing, i dont.

if you just use a computer for the internet and email, then use whatever OS your machine came preinstalled with (most likely windows)

however.. just because Windows3.1 is more suited to someone who bought an old PC, and uses it as a persolal diary / recipe book / email, because the guy doesnt know how to reinstall a diffrernt OS, it doesnt mean that windows3.1 is the BEST OS, just more convinent.

The BEST OS for games is Windows.
the BEST OS for securety is OpenBSD
the BEST OS for portabbility is NetBSD
the BEST OS for servers would be one FreeBSD / Solaris

i think Linux is a good middle ground.. its not the Best of anything (except maybe community) but it is very good at everything.

So while I agree there is no Single Best OS for everything... some OS are clearly better than others.

I really think the linux red hat is the best. Actually all linux operating systems are good! They are much safer than a windows os like xp...and the best is they are free (at least some of them)!Of course are the windows systems better for games...but that's just because they don't have so many games you can play on it!I would definitely recommend all kind of Linux!

i think Linux is a good middle ground.. its not the Best of anything (except maybe community) but it is very good at everything.

So while I agree there is no Single Best OS for everything... some OS are clearly better than others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if linux is a good middle ground, at least for everyone. For instance, it seriously lacks for gaming(unless you want to run it as a games server, for which it is just dandy). Graphics, Office work, and general useability/intuitiveness are still a good ways behind windows(which is saying something, because windows isn't very good).

For instance, it seriously lacks for gaming

Linux is the second best gaming OS behind windows..
where as windows is the worst OS for securety behind every other OS ever vreated in the entire history of times..

do the math....

Linux is the second best gaming OS behind windows..

where as windows is the worst OS for securety behind every other OS ever vreated in the entire history of times..

do the math....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, for gaming neither Mac nor Linux holds a candle to windows right now. However, at least mac has a reasonable number of large games come out as native ports. Linux not so much. Either way it doesn't matter that much unless you do a lot of gaming. Even then, there are consoles. So, while PC gaming is big, if you also do a lot of work, either run linux or get a mac. Then go get a console or two. I don't like console games as much as PC games, but thats just because of the genres I like (mainly fps). For anyone else it doesn't matter so much.

Well, for gaming neither Mac nor Linux holds a candle to windows right now.  However, at least mac has a reasonable number of large games come out as native ports. Linux not so much.  Either way it doesn't matter that much unless you do a lot of gaming.  Even then, there are consoles.  So, while PC gaming is big, if you also do a lot of work, either run linux or get a mac.  Then go get a console or two.  I don't like console games as much as PC games, but thats just because of the genres I like (mainly fps).  For anyone else it doesn't matter so much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

really ?

ive not seen any Unreal Tournament 200X for Mac avaiable on shops... but i have for Linux...

Also, Doom3... first there was the windows verrsion.. then at the same time the windows got its first patch, the linux version was released.... and where is Doom 3 for the mac ?

plus, linux/Unix has Wine.

UT 2k4 is out for Mac, as is Halo, The Sims, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, and a bunch of others. Doom 3 is getting released in February. Some games probably come out faster for linux because you don't have to rewrite assembly optimization. Not like I cared much because I don't game on my Mac, I use it for getting work done. Even so, Doom3 just wasn't that good a game. It looked good, it was fun for a bit, and then when I beat it I never thought of it again.Still, at least in the states, Mac users have easier access to boxed games. It may be different over there.Plus, Macs have VirtualPC.

PC's (on *nix platforms) have PearPC (a mac hardware emulator)Doom3 i agree isnt much for game play, ive only played the demo, but the way it looks rocks !i would LOVE to get my hands on the code of that engine.

and macs have Bochs for emulating x86

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats the difference between Bochs and Virtual PC ?

Bochs emulates the x86 instruction set. You could for instance run Bochs, and install an x86 version of linux on it, if you wanted to(WHY?? I have no clue. You could also install DOS and run old DOS programs though). VirtualPC is a windows emulator. It can emulate mutliple versions of windows, simulate reboots and stuff like that. From what I understand(never had need of it personally), it is nicer than running an actual copy of windows(though slower) because you can 'undo' things in windows, like installing a program, and so on. So, if you do something that would break windows, instead of going the route you would with a windows box(screaming damn it and then reinstalling), you can just roll back everything that happened and try and fix it.However, VirtualPC does cost money ^_^ so Wine is better in that regard. However, WineX and Crossover office also cost money, and they are(as far as I know) the best emulators for Linux currently(depending on your purposes).

I think what was said before is true: there my not be a "best" OS, they all do different things. I like this quote:

Macintosh for productivityLinux for development
Palm for mobility
Windows for solitaire

I prefer Mac OS for most things. Linux is good. Windows for games.

I don't know about palm for mobility, Granted, the last(and only) palm I owned was a few years ago, but I really wanted to stab it. I despised the thing very quickly, because the software at the time was not very robust, and it had lots and lots of useability issues.

I said Knoppix, but I really think you should take out the individual distros. There's a huge difference between using Red Hat or Fedora and using something like Gentoo, which is what I use.