xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whannagan

The Best Operating System

What do you think is the best operating system ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

yeah, when i said windows wins for gaming and hardware, i was talking about windiows as a product, not an OS.

be be fair, Linux is nothing like windows.. at all, the internal stuctur is based on Unix standards, somthing windows has avoided.

about linux distro's being similar to windows, i assume you are talking about the open source project "KDE" which as stated on its web page, is a "Unix desktop environment"

nobody over says unix is too much like windows.

KDE is a very small part of Linux, and isnt needed, many distro's actually dont install KDE per default, and use Gnome instead.

As for learning and copying the Mac..... Well, there called OSX desktop clones :)

As for the comment about useability sucking... well...

the  thing about amateur programmers, and other contributers of linux,

they seem to love the codeing, but never bother to learn User interface design theory.

At my university, there is a module on User interface design.... and yep, its not all about making it look good, there are formulaes.. lol.. did i take it... nope, it boreing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why useability classes should be A. Fun and interesting, because they can be, and B. required, and even a large part of the curriculum. However, I say this as a person who studied ergo in college and liked the idea. You are correct though in that somehow people who teach ergo don't exactly practice it.

As for these linux OSX desktop clones. Where can I find them????? I am MOST interested. This would allow we to turn my x86 box into something nice to use.

when i say OSX clones... i suppose i should have said OSX themes for existing desktop tools...i canot remember the name, but there is an openGL taskbar with a macOSX theme, many OSX themes for metacity, GTk2, than kind of thinghave a look on places like gnome-look.org, some screen shots show people having a very mac looking destop.

Yes, that's right, it depends on your requirements.A gamer needs Windows, because the most games are programmed for Windows.If you want to change your pc to a server, you'd better use linux!But I also think that Mac OS is also good for home office use...

Yes, that's right, it depends on your requirements.

A gamer needs Windows, because the most games are programmed for Windows.

If you want to change your pc to a server, you'd better use linux!

But I also think that Mac OS is also good for home office use...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LoL... yeah, those exact sentences have already been said..

you dont 7 pages of disscussion without comming to a conclusion around page 2.

anyways.... a MacOSX looking Linux desktop.. whadaya think ?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Posted Image

Even if you use linux you can still run windows games with programs like WINE (all purpose) or the commercial WineX (mainly for games) or CrossOver Office (for MS office)By default Linux doesnt install a gui of any type it uses CLI for everything. That changed when X was developed and later KDE, Gnome, and all the other lesser known ones like Xfce were created but they all use the X libs.I know in KDE when you load it up for the first time it asks you what kind of 'feel' you want your desktop to have. The default KDE one, a Microsoft feel, or a MacOS feel.

your welcome.whats the theme like to you ?looks spot on to me, but ive never realy used a mac for anything more than a quick slashdot read.

:P That Mac OS X clone for Linux is awesome! It looks really good! Does the dock really work and everything? That is so cool. Thanks for the link, I'll have to try to add it to my Linux computer. I'll be able to use OS X for any occasion. :) Do you use that theme most of the time?

I dont use it at all.I prefere Gnome's desktop.if i wanted Linux to be MacOSX, i would have installed MacOSX on my PC. (yes, it can be done)

Windows XP is the absoulute best, 2 out of three computers in my house have it, the third one is a bit older so it just has windows 98 SE but thats just my sisters computer, but both my computer and the family computer have Windows Xp and it rocks!

Windows XP is the absoulute best, 2 out of three computers in my house have it, the third one is a bit older so it just has windows 98 SE but thats just my sisters computer, but both my computer and the family computer have Windows Xp and it rocks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Out of curiosty, have you used any non-windows OS's for any extended length of time?

Out of curiosty, have you used any non-windows OS's for any extended length of time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have an old mac laptop that I have used thats about it though, I wouldn't wate money to buy another os when windows xp works just fine, beside from what i hear about other os's like mac and linix are that they aren't as good as the public seems to think, but xp on the otherhand i know for sure is.

i have an old mac laptop that I have used thats about it though, I wouldn't wate money to buy another os when windows xp works just fine, beside from what i hear about other os's like mac and linix are that they aren't as good as the public seems to think, but xp on the otherhand i know for sure is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, well ok. I am unhappy with windows and linux is indeed overrated (at least as a general user OS), but yeah, winXP will do if you don't need much except that it run(and you don't deal with hostile environments).

This is a very debatable topic.

With all the new operating systems of there it seems that there will one day be a operating system better than windows. There probably already is a better operating system, its just that there are too many Microsoft Windows users out there.

I'm going with Windows. The reason being that all my friends and family use it so its really hard to do everything you would like on another OS, but it is possible.

Windows is also rapidly coming out with new operating systems such as Longhorn.
If you want a sneak peak go here: http://winsupersite.com/article/faqtip/windows-longhorn-faq

-LoipsD