xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Photoshop Vs Paintshoppro Which Appliction do you use

Photoshop OR PaintShopPro  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Photoshop CS rocks. I'll occasionally use Fireworks or Illustrator for some tasks, but Photoshop does most of what I need to do, and does it well.

I am not saying or denying that PS has more features than PSP , but then again I was used to PaintShop Pro since version 2.1 for the Windows 3.xx OS , up till PSP V9.04 now .. ( 1996-2005 ) so 9 years of experience .... so whatever PS has more than PSP i will never ever change ... even if PSP is no longer developed I will still use it ..Back when i was using PSP 4.0 ( Win 95 ) I tried Photoshop and I was pissed off by the amount of TOTAL useless stuff to me ( as a graphics/web designer ) and spent like 2 hours trying to figure out and simplify the interface to only suit my needs and to look like PSP , after 2 days I totaly gave up and uninstalled it .PSP for me is the way to go for web / small print graphics ( I make static commercial adds for the newspapers in PSP )

Paintshop Pro and Photoshop aren't even in the same league. Photoshop is a professional image editing and digital content creation application. Paintshop Pro is and always has been for the consumer/enthusiast. Photoshop doesn't cost six times as much just because it "has more features". It is more powerful, has more control over gamma settings, has a wider range of file support, and has a much better compression system.I own both Photoshop CS and Paintshop Pro 9. I will admit that psp has a more user friendly interface, buts that because its designed for less intensive tasks. Both are great, but when I want something done properly, I usually go for Photoshop.

I prefer Photoshop over Paintshop since right now, I'm working with PSP 8 and to put it bluntly, it is not really what I would call the 'easiest program to follow.' The first time I tried it out, I was confused out of my mind. If you're still considering PSP, then I personally think PSP 7 is the best out of all of them. The controls are easier to follow. But if I were you, I would go with Photoshop.

I will say that Photoshop is much more powerful tha Paint Shop Pro. But since I originally learned on PSP, I've always had kind of a soft spot for it. :P It's also quite affordable. So when I get the chance, I use Photoshop... but seeing as I'm just a meager, empty-walletted (is walletted even a real word :) ) college student, PSP fits my needs much better. :) I find that it does just fine for all my web graphics purposes. Plus I don't really mind the waits for high resolution projects. With enough skill and experience, even without all the canned tools on Photoshop, you can get the same look and quality on PSP. So in that light....

GO PSP!

It all depends what your doing. Like all things in computers nothing is simple.I've used both programs for years. I enjoy paint shop pro 8 more, but I use photoshop 7 more. Yeah, I'm behind the times.Photoshop is more complicated. It has more features, the tools are more refinable, it has far better control over complicated things. It pushes some further toward layers and vectors. It is great for getting quality content - especially for web and graphic printing. It stores graphics faster.Paintshop is more user friendly. It gets small things done quickly. For average things like, personal website building, photo-editing - I prefer it because it's more intuiitive. And it has a lot of fun features. It keeps things simple and encourages raster images.They're both good, if you have to chose one over the other then ask yourself what you'll be doing. Are you home user wanting to clean up his photos work on his personal web site, wanting proffessional quality without being a proffessional? Use Painshop. Are you chosing what's best for your company, managing a large website, preparing graphics for print, etc.? Use Photoshop. If it's for print, you'll want Illustrator probably too.

I love photoshop. I like to use it becuase it comes with imageready, and it's one of the most popular programs with tons of tutorials for new users. It also has a lot of addons and more features than paintshoppro as avalon stated. Once you have it mastered, there's nothing you can't do. If you ask most of the best graphics designers, they will tell you that they prefer photoshop over basically any other image editing program.

At the moment I have PhotoShop 7 and PSP9. PS CS is too much for my pc LOL. I have been playing around with PSP since v6 or so, I have no idea how long that is LOL. PSP has always met my needs, there was only one major downfall, which I noticed from v7.04. When applying filters etc it would take ages, and the program had become a major resource hog. A friend told me about PS and I got the try out version. Much to my surprise PS was actually more powerful, with more options and required LESS resources. But I was so used to PSP that the switch to Photoshop was a major shock to me. I didn't even know how to add layers in PS. Now a few weeks later (and I do mean a few - about 2) I haven't even opened PSP, only Photoshop. Yes, I am again stuck doing tutorials to find my way around in PS, but that is temporary until I know where what is. At this point, I do recommend Photoshop to friends, of course it depends on what you need. For the basic graphic stuff, I'd stick with PSP since it *does* have an easier GUI, however if you want raw power, then I'd go for PhotoShop. For the time being I am keeping both PS and PSP, just in case I need to quickly do something and don't have the time to look for certain filters. :)

Hi All,

This is my first post but a favourite topic of mine. I think Photoshop is far superior to PaintShop or even PhotoPaint (Corel).

My reasoning is both personal and factual. Personally, I found the "mode" of PaintShop to be rather illogical. In other words, the actual interface of the software wasn't very intuitive, with commands and controls in places that didn't lend themselves to being found easily. Photoshop is far more intuitive with everything in a logical place and lending itself towards ease of use. You can attribute it to the fact that Adobe was there first and they got it right. For Jasc to copy Photoshop's interface (PaintShop too) would have become copywrite infringement. The software designers were forced to come up with different ways of achieving the same end.

The second reason that Photoshop is better than PaintShop in my opinion is because of PostScript. Adobe invented it and continues to expand this powerful file format's capabilities. Everyone else is simply licensing Adobe's code and having to "export" as .eps rather than Photoshop, which can save .eps files as a native format. I've found time and time again that PostScript coming from other programs can contain all kinds of garbage code forcing render times that are far longer than Adobe generated files.

In the end, I'd far rather use Adobe products. They're stable, they're powerful and they're easy to use.

Cheers,

Phoenix :D

I totally agree photoshop has all the features you need in an easy and friendly way to use and really is quite easy to learn. It also is very powerful and has extremely useful features for the expert level users. I've been looking at a magazine i bought called "Australian Photoshop" (has over 240 pages) and it's amazing what people can do with the program (mainly the photo manipulation, i love, i've attached down the bottom, my favourtie image form the mag). It also has great tutorials which got me started and now i think i'm a relatively k designer :D.

I've never really tried paintshop pro, i only ever used to open images in it and crop and thats all (that's all i could do when i was 6, i'm 14 now) but i agree with your point there RainbowPheonix with the layout/design, i've re-opened it for the first time in about 4 years and i agree the layout isn't very user friendly, it might just be that i'm used to Adobe's but i just don't like it really.

Posted Image

Well thats my opinion :D

Your Faithful Photoshop User, Silent