xisto Community
rmdort

How To Mount A Cd Image

.gbi file how to munt image?How To Mount A Cd Image

how do I emulate a .Gbi file...I tried to run it in deamon tools but the format is not supported...Please help

-reply by Ilij

Mounting .iso files onto FlashdriveHow To Mount A Cd Image

So is there  a way to mount an .ISO file to a USB flashdrive? if for instance I wanted to run a Windows 7 .Iso file from a flashdrive to a netbook?I was able to mount it onto a virtual drive, but I want a virtual drive on a flashdrive???

-reply by The Question

You can do that with help NERO image drive and virtualISO, ISOBuster. If you've installed NERO express or NERO 8 on your computer then you'll find NERO imagedrive on your control panel. From there you have to open it. Then click on enable imagedrive. After that give the path of ISO be it from flash drive or something else. That way you can let ISO files access the flash drive. Hope this helps you.

if for instance I wanted to run a Windows 7 .Iso file from a flashdrive to a netbook?

You can do that with help NERO image drive and virtualISO, ISOBuster

Of course, it's easy to mount an iso file from a flashdrive on a notebook.However, you will only be able to read files from the CD emulated on the iso file.
You will not be able to boot off that iso file in order, for instance, to perform a Windows 7 installation.
If you really want to temporarily boot off the iso file, you will have to burn from that iso file to a rewritable media, using Nero for instance, and boot off the physical just burnt media.
Use a rewritable media if you want to spare your media for a just-once test, else burn it on a standard read-only media.

It is okay to have backup copies of media or games, if there is an End User License Agreement which permits it, or if you are making a copy 3rd party made cd/dvd's which are included in various video games, pc game magazines - which already have EULA's or software release/demo version appropriate for sharing and distribution; as long as you don't modify the software code or readme.txt notices.Usually all current media have some for of copy protection whether it is implement via software code or hardware defect in the burned media, which makes running the copied media difficult - not an exact 1 to 1 copy.Other family members are pretty bad about scratching my games when it comes to them wanting to watch a DVD with the player. Iso/torrent downloads are not really the best route to go when replacing scratched media. There is no telling what was added or removed from from the corresponding cd. Typically there is some form of patches malacious software involved which trys to send packets across the Internet.As far as using you USB as a boot media, you can, depending on how old your PC or laptop is. Mainly if you bios has that boot capability. Typically there are the external usb drives, the flash media, and zip (iomega) like devices which you bios can can be set to check by changing boot order. Once they pc/laptop queries the device, reading the boot information is totally different process.Partions like a boot partition, boot sector, additional drivers may have to be loaded to read the device, and drivers for the filesystem (fat32, ntfs) prior to the detection of the contents of the media. If you are trying to replicate a cd/dvd boot media, you probably have to make a copy of the boot information from the source of what you're trying to copy, which is seperate from the contents. Almost like creating a custom bart pe, custo boot cd, or UBCD.I recently tried to make a copy of the recovery partition already preloaded on a laptop (without recovery media). It was a heckit process, but I cound not modify the config file which points to the partition (flash drive) which had the recovery partition.Another option I tried was moving all the client burned recovery files to a flash drive, but the I did not have the proper pre boot enviroment setup to read the files.I ended up doing a reinstall (destroying the recovery partitions), and then using the recovery cd's to load the drivers and applications. It wasn't the best recovery I did but at least the client had a clean OS installation, updated driver from manufacture, only the oem software she wanted installed. We ended up creating a recovery media next.

As I know, all the laptops which does not have a CD/DVD drive has the compatibility to boot from and external source in usb, it can be me a flash key or external hard drive or even if it exists an SD key slot.Trough bios you can set the boot device, but it's not so easy as with a CD, you need to make some changes too, as I was told, Today some software exists, which creates a bootable usb key from and image with all the things needed, all you need is to change the boot device in bios. :D

What do you do after mounting the ISO? For installation? If yes, then there is a software called Unetbootin. It allows you to boot any operating system from a USB drive. All you need is, the ISO of that operating system you want to boot from USB. I installed linux distros in that way. See whether it works with Windows 7 or not...

http://unetbootin.github.io/

What do you do after mounting the ISO? For installation? If yes, then there is a software called Unetbootin.

Thanks for the unetbootin link.However, it seems strongly linux-oriented. For instance, seems that you have to provide the Kernel and initrd files. So, it will probably not work for windows, except if you find a Linux kernel+initrd distro which is able to boot a Windows iso CD...
And, of course, if you are successful, please tell us how you performed this, a lot of people around here are looking for the way doing that! :D

daemon tools read only problemHow To Mount A Cd Image

when I use daemon tools, I mount the image to my file that I'm trying to, everything works fine, till I try to run it, it converts it into read-only format, says I don't have the access to change it back, and I cant do anything when I click run, it pops up a small dos window for a fraction of a second, then goes away, any ideas?

-question by Bazil

What I don't understand, is why bother installing programs such as daemon tools or alcohol 120% to mount these .iso or .nrg files?
I just winrar to access the files. Much easier.

You use winrar if you want to unpack/read a single file.
You mount the .iso file as a virtual CD if you want to perform an installation. During the install process, usually, the install program looks for the CD drive letter (let's say d:) and then looks for files with names like d:/i386/drivers/something.dll)
That's why you really need to have the iso file mounted as a cd-rom drive.
This is also useful if you want to browse your iso file in order to view some files, this saves disk space because you don't have to unpack the whole iso in a temporary location, you read inside the iso file.

My personal favorite when it comes to mounting ISOs, NRGs, or most any other CD/DVD image file, is a free utility called MagicDisc, available at http://www.magicdisc.net/

It is a very small but efficient application. I'm not sure how other mounting utilities work, but this one works by installing itself as a virtual CD/DVD drive, on which you can mount almost any image format you can throw at it. It gives you the option to install more than one virtual drive (up to 6, I think) and mount them separately or simultaneously. It can start up with the operating system and it resides as an icon on the tray area of the task bar.

There are two things I particularly love about MagicDisc...

1) It works perfectly with MagicISO - my favorite, simplest burner and archiver, right after WinRAR - since it's actually produced by the same company with integration in mind, and...

2) It is extremely ubobtrusive, light on system resources (almost non-existent), and it works like magic... hence the name, I guess ;-)

I've never tried other virtual drive and/or mounting software, so I have no basis for comparison. But then again, I've never really had the need to try other utilities since MagicDisc simply does everything I need it to do.

its not always about piratingHow To Mount A Cd Image

Ok people, for one its not always about trying to get free programs, certain games require that you have the cd in to even play, so if your playing that type of game for hours it can be hard on your cd rom, by ripping a copy of a pragram THAT YOU OWN, you can save the life span of your cd rom drive. 

-reply by Sean

running rossetta stoneHow To Mount A Cd Image

I was given Rossetta Stone on CD, but I only have a netbook, so I thought I would be clever and put the files on my external hard drive.  I was able to install the Rossetta Stone program, but I cannot view the lessons.  I am fairly computer retarded and cannot figure out how to mount the lessons to get them to play.  I downloaded the Daemon tools lite, but now I'm lost... 

-question by fen fen