xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AndySaurus

Windows 7 Vs. Vista Vs. Windows Xp?

Well, I've always wondered which OS was best on the average computer. Ever since 2001, XP ruled over most OS's with it's lightweight core.Tests has been performed on a computer with: Intel dual-core E5200 CPU, 2GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD4550 graphics card and 500gb harddrive.First Comparison: BOOT TIMEResults:XP: 3.5 / 5Vista: 3 / 5Windows 7: 4.5 / 5Second Comparison: GamingXP has been really compatible with mostly all games. Major games that are released are also written for XPresult:ScoresXP: 4 / 5Vista: 3 / 5Windows 7: 4 / 5Looks like windows 7 wins

i think in boot time you can mention exactly the time not the score and i compared the boot time on my notebook and xp was faster.but about gaming i think there is no way to compare xp and 7 (vista is not important :D ). because windows xp only supports directx 9c (directx 10 ntc release has many bugs which makes it impossible to use) but windows seven has dx11 which has awesome features. if we only look at dx9 games windows xp performance is much better as you see for minimum system requirement they announce two series one for windows xp with much less ram and cpu and one for windows seven with higher ram and cpu.

I don't think there is any comparison between OS which are developed with certain time frame. You'll find that keeping some minor glitch aside there is no comparison between windows vista, XP and 7 in their own way. Windows 7 and Vista are certainly improvement over XP which we can't deny. Windows 7 has low resource requirement which makes it better than vista and likewise there are plenty of points where each one scores up or down.

Another opinion is that it is possible to compare Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.Advantages of Windows 7 are probably a higher speed and a very shiny look of the screen.And Windows 7 is designed for an SSD.Windows 7 has trim built in. This means the speed of the SSD keeps high over time.

Edited by Eza (see edit history)

I currently use Window$ 7 Ultimate 64 bit and well, it's not that great. XP is the greatest operating system from Microsoft to date, in my opinion. Even though it's 10 years old it still holds it's weight in the software world. Yes, Window$ 7 is great and all but I don't think we'll see an OS similar to XP in a long time to come.

I have used all three operating systems. XP is the oldest. It works well and doesn't use a lot of resources. Vista is newer, but it takes a lot of resources and is slow. It seems a lot of people know its shortcomings. Win 7 is the newest. It doesn't require a lot of resources like XP. It must have some new features though I haven't noticed or realized. It seems to be a good next generation product to replace XP. Then, I don't know why but the 2003 version of Microsoft Office keeps having problems on my new Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad. I use Word and Excel often. They both stop working fairly often. I don't know it is the laptop or the operating system. The same version of Office works well on XP.

I have used all three operating systems. XP is the oldest. It works well and doesn't use a lot of resources. Vista is newer, but it takes a lot of resources and is slow. It seems a lot of people know its shortcomings. Win 7 is the newest. It doesn't require a lot of resources like XP. It must have some new features though I haven't noticed or realized. It seems to be a good next generation product to replace XP. Then, I don't know why but the 2003 version of Microsoft Office keeps having problems on my new Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad. I use Word and Excel often. They both stop working fairly often. I don't know it is the laptop or the operating system. The same version of Office works well on XP.

Odd that you should bring up the Office/Excel issues. Not sure if it's related but I experience the same thing with OpenOffice on Windows 7.

Overall I like Windows 7 more than the other two (Vista was just horrible), but some things like GameSpy still act up quite a bit with it. But other than that, it's faster, boots faster, looks better and just feels better overall.

Windows 7 and Windows XP are really good, with the latest updates, Vista wasn't for me something really special, I used to use XP, when I bought my laptop it came with Vista, I downgraded to XP, but had problems with some drivers, so I installed Vista, but as I remember it already had service pack 1, so it wasn't so bad, but wasn't special too, once I got Windows 7 Pro, I installed it and feel that it's really a good OS comparing to previous Microsoft OS releases.

I have tried both Windows XP and Windows 7 on my computer. Just like mahesh2k said, Windows 7 is an improvement of Windows XP. With just this, 7 already has an advantage over XP. Also from my experience, Windows 7 runs smoother and faster. My sister's laptop runs Windows Vista and the specs of her laptop is quite near to my computer. I once used her laptop and it's quite slow. I'm not so familiar with Vista but just that one time of using it, I already experienced its not-so-good performance. Even if it's an 'improvement' of XP, I still prefer using XP than Vista. :lol:

i think in boot time you can mention exactly the time not the score and i compared the boot time on my notebook and xp was faster.

but about gaming i think there is no way to compare xp and 7 (vista is not important Posted Image ). because windows xp only supports directx 9c (directx 10 ntc release has many bugs which makes it impossible to use) but windows seven has dx11 which has awesome features.

if we only look at dx9 games windows xp performance is much better as you see for minimum system requirement they announce two series one for windows xp with much less ram and cpu and one for windows seven with higher ram and cpu.

That is certainly true, and definitely XP (I have SP1) boots a *lot* faster than Windows 7 (even the pre-SP). The point is, if you want fast boot time, you don't overload your computer with junk you do not need. For example, I still have SP1, and most of the software I run does just fine. If I need some feature (like WPA), I install the appropriate KB. One trick is to get Office 2007, which technically requires SP2, to work. To do that, you need to get SP2, put in Office, and uninstall SP2. Office stays, and works just fine.

Once again, if we only compare similar features, XP not only does quite a bit better, but also it has a lot more customizable features. If MicroSoft made the source code of XP SP1 publically available, I think it's possible to take Windows XP quite a bit farther than Windows 7. Just you wait until Windows 8 comes out...

For example, I still have SP1, and most of the software I run does just fine. If I need some feature (like WPA), I install the appropriate KB. One trick is to get Office 2007, which technically requires SP2, to work. To do that, you need to get SP2, put in Office, and uninstall SP2. Office stays, and works just fine.

What? WinXP SP1 doesn't even have a default firewall turned on. To enable it, you need to dwell down into Network Connections->LAN adapter->Properties->Advanced and enable "Protect my computer", but even then, you need skill to configure it, and if you have skill, you don't use such an insecure operating system. Really, do not consider connecting to internet anything less than Windows XP SP3 (Windows 7 is better).

Windows XP Service Pack 1 has such a wide range of known exploits, that when you connect it to internet, machine in couple of hours (or couple of days, if you're lucky) becomes part of some botnet. You are not safe, even if you are in LAN, because ancient Internet Explorer on your PC is another security risk.

Please reformat your PC and install service pack 3

Hello friends,Some operating system is provide the better visual effect and some operating system is provide the better operating facilities.So for best operating system is can be decided on the basis of the user requirements.In my opinion the best operating system on the basis of following criteria is as following:If you want better visual effect plus better security of authorising, then the Window 7 is best in my opinion.And if you use the more internet, then in my opinion the LINUX based operating system is best because of the in LINUX based operating system the virus effect is very less.You can prefer Ubuntu operating system for this.Best regardsVicky Milza

I have experiance with XP, Vista and Windows 7. From my experiance, Windows XP is the most stable operating System, I ever found from Windows. Windows 7 Operaing System is good, But when we compare to the boot time of XP , it is little bit slow. But in Windows 7, we can find improved Graphics and directx support than XP. We can't compare Windows Vista with other two OSs since it has the lesser performance than any other OS. The coming Operating System, Windows 8 is suitable for Touch pads, Tabs etc.