xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Vista Scvhost Eats All Cpu at least most of it

Well, usually it means that you have some kind of an virus or spyware which is using your computer to send SPAM to others, if that process is taking so much resources, you need to remove your Lan cable or turn of Wireless, boot to safe mode and clean up your computer there, by lets say using CCleaner, then some "doctor" to clean up registry and later try to scan from viruses and spyware with the software you're using.Or you can always do a format and install Windows again :D

Svchost.exe is a Microsoft Windows integrated executable which is used to launch DLLs (they can't launch themselves). You shouldn't remove the executable.
However, svchost might get infected and be used as a backdoor to remotely control your computer and other evil stuff. So you might want to scan the executable with multiple malware-scanning software.

You can find more info about the executable behind this link: http://www.liutilities.com/windows-process/svchost-exe/

Strange. The PC's CPU usage is normal now. My dad just got off and I noticed the difference right away.... It's so confusing!.......

You can limit the idle processes from eating your CPU. Though this issue is addresses in next versions of windows operating system, with old you have to use softwares that can work around this issue. There is one software called process tamer which you can use to limit the process hogger services. If you need any support with that software then feel free to post on that forum. It is working for me on XP so thought it might help you. let me know if that helps.

You can limit the idle processes from eating your CPU. Though this issue is addresses in next versions of windows operating system, with old you have to use softwares that can work around this issue. There is one software called process tamer which you can use to limit the process hogger services. If you need any support with that software then feel free to post on that forum. It is working for me on XP so thought it might help you. let me know if that helps.

It helped. A few services tried to slow it down (the PC), but didn't.

svchost high cpu usage can also be a sign of hardware/driver malfunction or a corruption of a DLL file.On case of a malfunction, since the process or hardware no longer respond, your OS will try to give it more CPU access in hopes that it will complete. On case of viral infection/fake svchost, check where they are running from, if they are not coming from x:/windows/ then you have a high change of a virus running and pretending as the legit svchost. The painful fact for this process/software is that you can't turn it off with out potentially crashing your system.Also check for misspellings like scvhost since they also exist and they are really virus trying to trick you.On some windows 7 installations, the process IDLE seems to be CPU hungry which is way odd :D

svchost high cpu usage can also be a sign of hardware/driver malfunction or a corruption of a DLL file.On case of a malfunction, since the process or hardware no longer respond, your OS will try to give it more CPU access in hopes that it will complete.

On case of viral infection/fake svchost, check where they are running from, if they are not coming from x:/windows/ then you have a high change of a virus running and pretending as the legit svchost. The painful fact for this process/software is that you can't turn it off with out potentially crashing your system.

Also check for misspellings like scvhost since they also exist and they are really virus trying to trick you.

On some windows 7 installations, the process IDLE seems to be CPU hungry which is way odd :D

On my PC, IDLE tends to eat a lot of CPU sometimes.That PC is running XP W/SP2 on a 512 MHz processor and 2 hundred something MB RAM.

I think you have already heard of black viper tweaks. I use these tweaks everytime i reinstall or fresh install my windows. This will help you speed up your PC. There are many tweaks mentioned on the homepage of black viper.

If you want to track down some more useless services then you can check this. Hope this helps.

I think IDLE is showing how much of your CPU is not in use. 100% would be a good thing then. If one program is using 34% and another is using 5%, your idle % would be 61. I don't think it can 'eat' anything.As for svchost, I have had the problem too but I just live with it and reboot, it doesn't happen too often for me. Have you tried:https://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/
I haven't, so I don't know if it works.Also make sure it really is SVChost and NOT SCVhost, because I had a virus that disguised itself as SCVhost.

I think IDLE is showing how much of your CPU is not in use. 100% would be a good thing then. If one program is using 34% and another is using 5%, your idle % would be 61. I don't think it can 'eat' anything.

It is not clear with me which is the case since ideally on my windows XP, IDLE represents the free cpu process that I can use without slow down but on Windows 7 it freezes the computer for 1-4mins (commonly 1min) which is odd for me. It is also possible that there are extra garbage memory cleaning being done by IDLE process or there was an IDLE cpu leak which unfortunately hits random users.

@NNNOOOOOO

If your computer don't hang between high IDLE cpu usage then everything is good. That is what I am getting on my windows XP which constantly have at least 60% IDLE cpu use.