xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

India May Ban Gmail Along With Skype And Blackberry

Posted Image

Whatever happened to learning from the past? Strange it may sound, India's department of telecom could ban BlackBerry devices, Skype and even Gmail services if those services do not comply with the government's law. This law is to ensure that data through aforementioned networks will be made available to security agencies.

The story is leaked by stating that the IT laws of India is trying to make foreign companies (like Gmail) that does not need to apply for local license in India to comply fully with security agencies of India.

First was China bullying around Google, and now India trying to muscle Gmail, Skype and Blackberry around.

I am a little confused by this. As far as I know all information sent via any electronic device is logged anyways (at least it is in the U.S. due to the Big Brother laws put into effect).I am not seeing why they would do it in the U.S. and refuse to in other countries -- especially considering we are the "freest country." If they are going to log our stuff why not go ahead and log everyones?I am personally completely against the whole logging information thing. I do not believe that what you do/say/etc. should be visible to the security agency because that means a lot of others also have access. Let's face it -- in any position of power there are also people who are abusing it.

OUCH... but i don't really that is going to happen because India is a democratic county (as i believe) and not like China which is a communist country, so the government doesn't have that much authority as the Chinese the government, its almost like banning something while a majority of the people (ALMOST everyone) uses Gmail as their e-mail provider and they just can't ban it, it has their stored emails and stuff, sure they can ban google because it has nothing stored. And what about the blackberry's, by banning them do you mean not selling them anymore or if it detects its a blackberry, the telecom doesn't allow to make calls or they catch and jail anyone with a blackberry? I'm sure that is not much of a deal in India and either nothing will get done about it and it will be forgotten soon OR they will make rules to allow some things and make it work with Gmail and blackberry, because Google is one of the countries that uses Google and Gmail the most, and if they get banned, the stocks are heading for a DIVE....I'm almost 100% sure about this, anyways i guess we will known in the next few days...

Dont ask me why but Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress" comes to my mind. But this is so sad ! I doubt anything will happen though .. They've said that the data has to be provided in 15 days or the service will be banned. I guess they're being drastic because of some terror threat or something but banning gmail is not really going to help! Anyone who wants to exchange data that the security agents will be interested in can easily use some other offering for that ! The only people harmed are google and normal folks with no gain for anyone !

I love "Digital Fortress", and this does seem similar. Government agencies need to realize that people will find a way around any filters. I can see school placing these stupid rules into place, but a whole country? Can people not think for themselves any more.

Nah, this will not happen no matter how people brag about it. In india people don't care for security this much. They even don't have problem with google maps which was used by terrorists for blast. Just few lakh dollars to political leaders and there will be no protest. :D

Nah, this will not happen no matter how people brag about it. In india people don't care for security this much. They even don't have problem with google maps which was used by terrorists for blast. Just few lakh dollars to political leaders and there will be no protest. :D

Hahaha.. that really cracks me up! I guess the same thing happens everywhere, except the citizens don't know about it, its probably high-scale corruption in developed countries and small-scale in developing countries.

I too think this won't happen in India.. lot of problems arise if they ban google and gmail in India. And Government will not take it much seriously, so as media. In our country media will make anything a News, and in 2 days they will forget it and will move to another news..

Government also same, they will rise the issue once and forget it until someone again rises it. So people are not caring much about issues like these. Now they are more focused in increase of petroleum prices and other products :)

Just few lakh dollars to political leaders and there will be no protest. :D

That's right. A big issue will be closed in a single day if enough amount paid to our political leaders :P

Different countries have their own ways to run their own countries. They are similar, but there are differences. When new stuff comes from a foreign country, it might create some issues with the existing systems in the country. And, the issues need resolved; it may take some time and efforts. When issues are found, they are quickly captured by the media, which may cause a great deal of attention. Google is pulling out of China ... India may ban GMail, Skype and Blackberry ...Goolge stopped the China service (.cn). It re-routes search requests to its Hong Kong service (.hk). And, one can still use other Google services (.com, .ca ...) from within China. In other words, one can still access numerous Google sites (except the .cn site) from within China. If all those that request .cn follow the re-route to use .hk. Then, .hk is going to be .cn. In the end, Hong Kongers will in effect lose .hk because there are so many surfers from within China than from Hong Kong. It doesn't seem to make a lot of a difference. But, the news attracted a lot of eyeballs. Most likely China and Google will work things out over time.Probably, the same is going to happen for the India - GMail/Skype/Blackberry deal?