xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

How to remove the voice from an mp3 file? Software To Remove Voice?

How to remove the voice from an mp3 file?Software To Remove Voice?

How to remove the voice from an mp3 file

-reply by venkatesh.S

That's a very vague question, but I'm assuming you mean how to remove something like a commentary from a movie (?)After a quick google search and by my hypothesis, I conclude that no such software exists at the present time if it is completely embedded into the mp3.However, you could remove a voice if the voice was a separate file or track that was a kind of add-on to the original file (like subtitles in a movie).

This is quite a hard thing to do because the frequency of the voice has to be identified and removed with out affecting the background music. Sometimes the software you use thinks the actual music is voice as well and you end up with no sound.If you want to give it a go, you can try programs like Audacity or Music Morpher. I don't know how well they work but it might be enough for you.Good luck!

Do you mean removing vocals from a song? I've tried a bunch of software and rarely do they work very good. The soundcard and software that came with my computer allowed for "Karaoke mode" which did the job as well as one could expect. Your computer might be able to do this if you look at your sound card options (where you set effects like Reverb, etc)You'll find that with almost any software you try, some mp3s will work better than others, but rarely will it be perfect. I find that all of the software seems to work about the same, unless there have been some serious improvements since I last tried doing this.Just google for Removing vocals from songs or something.

If this is a "one-time only" thing, you could try downloading a 30-day trial of Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio, which features a vocal eraser plug-in that might help you. In my experience, it doesn't do a great job, but might be just fine if you play around a bit. Here's the link:

/audiostudio

I've used Audacity for the same purpose many times and I've noticed that it's like a trial-and-error game. It all depends on how the song you're editing was recorded. If Audacity is able to recognise the frequency of the vocals, then it can efficiently remove the vocals and give you the background music. But some songs are recorded differently and in this case Audacity cannot recognise the frequency of the vocals and the entire process may turn out to be a dud. So give Audacity a try. It's free and you can experiment with other aspects of the track as well.

Making this is called 'Creating a Instrumental' -- which basically means 'a song without lyrics'. It's very easy to do actually, download Audacity (like The Simpleton said) and load the song. Then make it into a 'mono' sound mode and then reverse one of the tracks (right side or left side) and then go to effects>Noise reducer and set it lower than the regular selection. Now let the settings apply and then click play -- you will only hear the instruments and sometimes some tiny voice here and there -- but thats the best Audacity can do, try getting Adobe Audition which costs about $200 dollars and then you might get something professional there too :)

To do this on some of my songs to just get the bass or in other words make it instrumental I use a freeware piece of software called GoldWave or GoldPlayer. It is also very easy to use and doesn't use to many resources.

Adobe Audition did a good job for one song for me, but didn't perform too well with others.

I'm trying to get one synth melody from "night head genesis" anime. It's hard ot get it out from audacity. The reason is that the video is in .mkv format. I have to convert this video format first or have to extract audio from it then have to cut the respective melodic tune. Don't know which editor or software will support such thing. Not sure sony sound forge will support .mkv or .rmvb format. Anyone have other idea ?

I'm trying to get one synth melody from "night head genesis" anime. It's hard ot get it out from audacity. The reason is that the video is in .mkv format. I have to convert this video format first or have to extract audio from it then have to cut the respective melodic tune. Don't know which editor or software will support such thing. Not sure sony sound forge will support .mkv or .rmvb format. Anyone have other idea ?

Maybe you could turn the .mkv to .mp3 using this (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) tool, and then edit it in Sony Sound Forge. There was this plugin for Sound Forge which existed, but in my (honest) experience these are all mostly crap :). Maybe I didn't try enough.

Thank you Little asterisk. I'll check this software. I was in search for something like this. I wish that midi gets available so i don't need to do the hardwork. Let's see what i can do about this.

This is quite a hard thing to do because the frequency of the voice has to be identified and removed with out affecting the background music. Sometimes the software you use thinks the actual music is voice as well and you end up with no sound.
If you want to give it a go, you can try programs like Audacity or Music Morpher. I don't know how well they work but it might be enough for you.

Good luck!

This is exactly what I was going to reply.
Audacity is an excellent program, but requires a lot of playing around with a file and even then cannot guarantee the voice will be fully removed, it may simply be much quieter over the backing track.

I am not sure what you are asking, but if you are asking how to remove audio from a video, you can use any major video editing software. The most accessible software would probably have to be Microsoft Movie Editor. Windows Movie Editor is free so that a plus. Other free video editing software includes Avid FreeDV, Virtual Dub, and Wax.

That is a tricky one because the voice is so integrated into the frequency map. I suspect it had been very heavily compressed/limited and whoever mastered it has done some naughty tricks as shortcuts. The version I have is impossible to treat so that I would be happy to be associated with the results (I have a home recording studio here in Frodsham - mainly for my own interest).
I ran it through a couple of frequency analysers trying to construct a filter-map for the voice, but the result is very poor.
If I take even more voice out then you loose all the headroom and middles on the acoustic guitar picking segment.
As it is the removal of such a prominent frequency range has phased the sound quite badly.
I could spend a couple of hours on it, clean it up and have something that I still would be unhappy with, so I'd rather not. You are welcome to download the test version I made, but as I said - I'm really unhappy with it and wouldn't want anyone to associate it with me, so please don't say who did it - I would have the music-crime enforcement unit down here in no time, making me do my recording engineers course again and lecturing me about GIGO.

I'm presuming, of course, that you wanted the end credit theme so that's what this is. If not and you have a copy of the segment you want - or a reference to it - then I'll have a look - but no promises.
Download

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)