xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ridwan sameer

Judging A Person By His !posts!

So This is just a topic that popped in my mind right now

Ive seen alot of People Flaming other people because of the level of their spoken English

Some times its because they are from a non English speaking country, sometimes because they have gotten used to Slang talk, ad sometimes just because they type too fast ( This is my case :P )

Here let me show you

IM going to re write the above sentence, in a more fast manner, the way i normally type thing

SOme times its because they are from anon english speaking country, sometime because they hae gotten used to lang talk and sometimes just because they type too fast ( This is my case :o )

So you see, Even though ive gotten more used to it, i still make the occasional mistake
Okay now back on topic

Many people, when in a flame war, or just got into an argument with another forum user.... normally after theyve used up all the "yo Mamma " jokes :P , In some cases they turn to making fun of a persons origin, and then comes the posts part of it, they start criticizing hes spoken english and usually throw up replies like " Go learn english before messing with me!". And then the other person replies " I can haz cookiez?" :angel:

SO okay, enough with the humor, what is your honest opinions on the subject

Have you ever taken a persons post quality, when i say post quality, i mean lack of grammar and spelling errors, i dont mean a troll. Okay so have you ever taken a persons post quality and made fun of it, and flame the specific person? if/if not, will you ever do it/ do it again?

Discuss :D

well ON topic with the two versions of the sentence, they were both grammatically incorrect so i don't really think you are proving anything here. second of all, what forums or places are you referring to? you aren't talking about trap. i know in the day, i would razz people here and there and they would razz me as well. just part of the game as long as it wasn't offensive where you knew the other person was taking it wrong or badly.

as far as me, i am a native english speaker and i really SUCK at grammer. my mom was an english teacher even and i never really caught on until i had to submit something for school or something official. i don't believe that a language needs to be such hard work or criticized. as long as i understand the person, it's all good, even if i have to laugh inside sometimes when i see people really really trying and failing miserably :D i tip my hat off to those who are able and willing to make the effort.

as far as trap is concerned, i think it's important to be grammatically correct and spell every word correctly since i think i read in another thread, buffalohelp stated that misspelled words will hurt how much mycents you earn here. whether that is in fact true, i do not know from personal experience. nor do i care so much about it as i still believe language shouldn't be so difficult.

now if opaque changes the name to this forum, maybe i will second guess my thinking as the new name he has choses has a meaning of it's own.

speaking of momma jokes, your momma's so fat, when she jumps in the air, she gets stuck! :P ok. had to throw one in.....

So This is just a topic that popped in my mind right now
Ive seen alot of People Flaming other people because of the level of their spoken English

Some times its because they are from a non English speaking country, sometimes because they have gotten used to Slang talk, ad sometimes just because they type too fast ( This is my case :angel: )

Here let me show you

IM going to re write the above sentence, in a more fast manner, the way i normally type thing

So you see, Even though ive gotten more used to it, i still make the occasional mistake

Okay now back on topic

lol and one mroe thing i have to sayYou say my sentence wasnt gramatically correct, yet you say you suck in grammar..... remind me not to take advice from you :angel:And as a comeback to that yo mama jokeYour mama is so stupid she tried to put M&M's in Alphabetical order

I can't explain it, but I really love writing thick pieces of text filled with luxurious words! For example, I managed to use the word 'serendipity' in an argument the other day- only to be told to "stop being such a f****t".

People tend to get the wrong end of the stick if you use nothing but full sentences and good grammar, either mistaking you for a pretentious college kid with a thesaurus, or a bureaucrat.

I'll admit that I do judge people a lot by the way they post (rather than what it is). For instance, a lot of the philosophical theories and political debates that get posted on Xisto look like intellectuals texting each other!

well I have to add my two cents worth here as well. I do agree, there some that do fuss and complain about how some here do use poor English. But You must remember, English may not be there first Language or even there Second one. It is a very hard language to learn and to speak. But as I said I do agree. There some that may have spoken English all of there lives that have and do trash it with slang. I know when I was growing up if I used a slang term, I would have been sent to my room. But you really should not ever judge someone by his or her posts just by there lack of good english. Never know, they just may judge you as well :angel:

Good subjectI just wanna expose my point of view , but i'm afraid you'll laugh at me because of my english , i'm not an english native person , in fact english is a living language *we call it soo* and i started to learn for 5 years only ,before that all was Arabic N after that all became French !!!Speaking a fluent English is a real problem in my country *Algeria ; don't ask me about geography use google maps instead* , because we've got Arabic as primary language , then French , then english , but we should learn spanish and italian because of the geostrategical ..blablabla .Learning a language , is a combination of three : writing,reading and speaking that language with ease ! in my case i'll work my english harder :angel:

From what I have seen, normally when a person is "losing" the verbal war, they will resort to name calling, as pointed out. Language is nothing more than a form of communication and no language is more superior than the others. Having said that, I got to admit that "lang-ist" (a term I have coined with language + racist) do exist.In my country, to some people, English is associated as being from the up-class of the society. Any other languages, they will see them as being lowly-educated and uncouth. The govt is doing nothing much to change the mindset. But even if they do, this mentality is too embedded into one's conscious that it will take a generation or two to rectify it.

I used to get in these wonderful flame fests with animal rights freaks on some of their message boards. We would argue and argue, and after I would counter all their remarks with logical and sane rational thought, they would have nothing left to do be slam me personally because of misspelled words or grammer. As if, since I didn't know how to spell some silly certain word I must therefore be stupid and my words could not be taken seriously. It was used as a last ditch effort to make me look bad. Personally I think it is a cheap and petty thing to do. I never stooped to it myself, except one time, I did ask a poster if they had been drinking, the post was horribly garbled and made no sense at all, another poster promptly informed me that the other poster had had some sort of medical problem, (something like a stroke) and had trouble with writing. So that was my first and last time of being critical about writing.

Nice discussion.English isn’t my first language and I’ll never speak or write like a native. I learnt not to be intimidated by my own language mistakes but to try to correct them. That’s the way people learn, make mistakes and learn from them.As for posting with wrong spelling or grammar I try to avoid that as much as I can. If I fail at least I tried.I focus more on the content when I read posts. Whenever I come across a post written by a native speaker of English I try to learn something from it, even if it has slang. As for momma jokes, beware guys. It's a taboo in some cultures and I'd never do that or accept it from anybody.

In this particular forum, I would never critisize anyone for bad or improper english. Xisto is a world wide community, and when you consider that as Mamer said, English is not his or many other peoples first language, I think it's pretty great that the majority of folks here get their English as good as they do. Heck, it is my native, and only language, and my gramer and especially spelling leaves a lot to be desired. LOL, when i think what it would be like if this forum was typed in Spanish, I'd really be lost.

Nice discussion.
English isn’t my first language and I’ll never speak or write like a native. I learnt not to be intimidated by my own language mistakes but to try to correct them. That’s the way people learn, make mistakes and learn from them.

As for posting with wrong spelling or grammar I try to avoid that as much as I can. If I fail at least I tried.

I focus more on the content when I read posts. Whenever I come across a post written by a native speaker of English I try to learn something from it, even if it has slang.

As for momma jokes, beware guys. It's a taboo in some cultures and I'd never do that or accept it from anybody.

Wanting to correct your errors is admirable, and sadly a lot of people are the opposite. I can't count the number of times I've been flamed for simply correcting someone. And instead of getting better at understanding what they're doing wrong, those people end up getting worse and worse.

I am not a great fan of flaming neither.One possible good reason for not flaming in a case like this might be because the person writing is a paraplegic person, writing his post with a stick in his or her mouth.The other possibility, of course (although you can usually spot that) is that we are dealing with typos, but that would, of course, not go on all through the post.As for people whose first language is not English posting here, well, so what, they too are entitled to be members here and to ask their questions, and, who cares if their English is not perfect, they might even learn and manage to improve their English by posting here.I must admit however (although this has been a very rare occurrence) that I have read posts (not necessarily here) from non English speakers that were so appalling that I could not make heads or tails out of them.Then, as for having to post in English, some people could learn a few lessons in politeness though (especially the English): I have often noticed that, even on forums that are unilingually non English, that English speakers, especially people from England, just post in English, without even an apology in the way of "Sorry, but I don't know your language.." or something like that, and then get offended if they get no reply, or get a reply in the language of that particular forum, but, when someone posts on a unilingual English forum in their own language (even through ignorance), they get flamed no end.There was a case I once knew, I was posting on an English speaking forum, and one day, a Dutch boy, probably not realising that English was the only language that was used there, had posted a question in Dutch.He then almost immediately got a very rude reply in the sense of "You stupid foreigner, can't you read, can't you see we only post in English here....", or something similar, to which I then answered politely but harshly that the man probably did not immediately realised that it was an English forum and that there was certainly no need to treat him so rudely, especially since (what I mentioned above earlier about the English posting in foreign language forums).The thing I liked then was that the flamer got a public reply from a mod which said "You are once again one of those people who make me ashamed to be English....".By the way, I then answered the Dutch boy's question in Dutch, but the point I am trying to make is: this is an English speaking forum too, and if ever anyone posts here in a foreign language (except for spammers, of course), just point it out politely, but do not flame immediately.If, however, they keep ignoring the message about this and keep posting in their own language, then I do not have a problem with the appropriate action being taken.By the way, English is not my first language neither.

I never flame anyone because of bad english writing or speaking, here we have members from all over the world and of course some of them can not write english very well, so we can not judge people by this.by the way english is the most used language over internet, so everyone who wants to be active in it needs to be able to write english, here we have a spell checker in text editor of this forum which can show you which words that you have written are wrong but even with this extra feature still a sentence may be meaningless even with correct words.So my suggestion is that we can try to help others to speak and write english better and we can start it from here, it is not his/her fault that his first language is not english and should not be blamed for that. my english is not very well also but i try to write and speak it to get it improved, but no one ever told me that my english is terrible because they don't like to flame me because of such thing. so after i got my english improved a little bit i thought like that and i tried to help other people to learn english too.But sometimes you find a meaning less topic where you can not decide whether the starter of topic was trying to spam or he/she can not write english very well. If you have ever seen spam bots you will know what i mean, they just put something in text box and post it which doesn't mean anything and in the end of post you will find a link which shows the main reason of the topic which is advertising that website. with help of many spam protection techniques that have been used in forum software, spam bots can not work very easily but there are now some people which you can find with some googling that will get a little money and post your website link in many forums, and as they don't want to write anything useful , most of their posts/topics are meaningless words that when you see for the first time you think the writer can't write in english.So i will first try to find out whether the post/topic is a real or spam one then i will decide to flame the user or not. and i know my english is not very well but i'm still trying so do not flame me :D

But sometimes you find a meaning less topic where you can not decide whether the starter of topic was trying to spam or he/she can not write english very well.

I run into this so often online, and it always makes me second guess what's going on. Kind of like in games, I've had people send me private messages that seem like spam, and then I realize the person just isn't able to convey their idea/question properly. That's a big problem with the world of spam we deal with every day, and it's especially problematic on things like forums and blog comments. I've probably mis-flagged a few people in the past thinking they were spamming when they weren't.

Things that catch my eye the easiest are way off-topic statements. Like having a forum area about dogs and someone commenting with "how 2 fix my ps2" or linking to a site for some type of software. Generally these things I'll flag.

Well it is not always applicable.A good example will be facebook where people in order to show their fluency in English inspite of not even knowing the ABC of English post their status just by copying from an intellectual and pasting on their own post just to get likes from their peers.And their friend's think that this person knows very good English and are quite impressed by him or her.The most vulnerable targets are the girls mostly from middle class who have a psychological point of view that they can show off a lot in front of their friends if they happen to make this person as her boyfriend.It will be wrong to judge a person's personality just by his staus and posts