xisto Community
electriic ink

Your All-time Worst Book Your all-time worst book

For me it was The Satanic Bible by Anton Levay. To this day I have never finished it. I instead threw it across the room. Hard.Why was I reading it? A friend of mine loved it ( he thought he was Satanic but he was about as "evil" and "hardcore" as a lop eared bunny) and so to try and figure out where his views were and where he was coming from on things I took a stab at it. Now that I think about it I really should have stabbed the book. It was THAT bad. The first page gave you like the 11 statements of Satanism. That truely is all you have to read. The chapters are nothing more than long, hateful expansions on the small sentences on that first page. There is nothing educational or enlightening about the book nor does it have anything remotely entertaining about it. It's just full of wrath, hate and a self justified anger. The only kudos I can give Anton is making boogoo bucks off of 11 sentences. UGH! That book was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddd!

I'm probably the only one who will say this, but Conrad's Heart of Darkness is the one book I read that I truly, truly hated. I can't really pinpoint why...but I think it had something to do with the way the actions they observed were all "pointless." I'm sure the book is full of symbolism and has all sorts of deep meaning, but I was never really into that stuff...I just like a good read :P

Terry Goodkind's "bestseller" about the Seeker and the Mother Confessor (I can never remember the title) was barely endurable. I could see the world had more scope and potential to develop but the sequel blew the whole premise out of the water. That one I couldn't make it 1/3rd of the way in before I annotated a major flaw and put it down for good.

I'm going to be honest and say Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Calling him a master of the English language is like calling Ghengis Khan a master of peaceful diplomacy. The book is utter crap in my opinion. Yes, it does do a good job of informing the reader what society was like at the time, but guess what - society was BORING under Puritan control. I read the first chapter, which was a 3 page description of a prison door and a rose (might sound interesting or poetic, but it's hardly either) and the first few pages of the second chapter. After that I simply couldn't take it. Overall, from what I read (and friends who actually read the book for English classes have informed me that the rest of the book fits this description as well), there are numerous pages dedicated to describing virtually insignificant actions which do not add to the plot or the experience (unless you consider the experience an exercise in literary torture or a cruel test of the boredom threshhold), and the reader doesn't feel much after completing the book other than "Wow, I've wasted a lot of time reading this book [or attempting to]."

I actually loved the Scarlet Letter, though I'll admit it was kinda tedious at times. but I hated A Separate Peace. Book was trash, and there was no real redeeming message from it other than war sucks.

I've read Signs of the Gods by Erich von Daniken It was an entertaining read, actually, if you're willing to suspend your disbelief. However, considering that it is a (supposedly) non-fiction "document" explaining in great detail nearly all paranormal phenomena occurring on Earth and space, going as far as quoting select passages from certain ancient writings and taking their message as a literal truth, this is a big joke. I know, I'm supposed to be laughing but I find myself more annoyed that amused that someone would so painstakingly find conspiracies and "evidences" of a much more colorful history without enough research, save propaganda, hypotheses and speculation to back them up.

I believe myself to be an open-minded person but this is simply too much! >_<

Edited by salamangkero (see edit history)

I borrowed this book called a Legacy of Hate. Forgot the author name, but it was some Irish soap opera story about how a horrible but beautiful woman seduced some guys which led to a legacy of hate and chaos for the next generation. It's full of crap.

I'm usually very careful about what i read. I dont read a book unless I'm quite sure that I'll like it......There was this one book which i picked just because it was a book by mario puzo and that it was a best seller. It's called ' The Family'I read the whole book but it was kinda boring and it was very slow....

Ok, I am an English major, and therefore a literature nerd, so I have a general appreciation for all books. The only book, however, that I have ever started reading and was unable to finish was Grapes of Wrath. Now, apparently it's a classic and I do know people who love the book, but I was still bored about 100 pages into it, and felt there was still no developing plot. So, if it is worth reading for the end, someone is going to have to let me know because there is no way I'm picking that one up again--Grapes of Wrath gets my vote for worst book ever.

There are so many who swear by Paul Coelho's boks - but to me, they are one hell I would rather not get into - I tried to suffer through 11 Minutes and the Devil and Miss prym...but alas! All in vain.

my worst bookYour All-time Worst Book

The worst book I have probably ever read was 'A Wizard of Earthsea'

Yes, It is a best seller, but I honestly found it to be the most boring book I have ever read! Okay, a dude being stalked by a shadow creature. Big whoop!

By the end of it I wanted to throw it out of the window then get a chainsaw and rip it to shreds. Too bad it was a library book...Gosh! Wuthering Heights was better! 

-reply by Rika

Joyce's ulysses.That book never did anything for me.I had thisgirlfriend who insisted I read it.I found it very,verytedious.A real task to read.Why it's considered a classic I don't know. I don't mean to cut down one of the greats,which is what he is,butI have a hard time reading shakespeare.Probably because it'swritten in old english.He is brilliant though,and obviouslya literary genius.The power of his words still cuts through. I should give his books a chance again.I only read them inschool,Maybe I'd apreciate them more now.

Anything by Charles Dickens gives me the runs. Yeah, yeah, literary master, yada yada yada... he can't even describe blinking without taking up 4 and a half paragraphs. I know that he was paid by magazines per word, but that's still no excuse to milk Tiny Tim's death for every drop he could. Sheesh!
He could learn a thing or two from Hemingway or Carver.

Oh come on how could anyone say that? a christmas carrol was and is a classic. be it book or movie.

but best book? Natalus 90 north. Was about the 1st time a nuke sub went to the north pole back in the 50's as a secret.