xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Firefox For Mobile 'days Away' From Launch

<h1 align="center">Firefox for mobile 'days away' from launch </h1>The first mobile phone version of the popular web browser Firefox is "days away" from launch, the head of the project has told the BBC,

For many this is great news they know they will be able to surf the web fast and securely.

The browser will be codenamed Fennec, will initially be available for Nokia's N900 phone, followed by other handsets in the feature.

For me this is great news I cannot wait for this to come out on the iPhone which I am very sure it will :P

Full Article

Please post your views...

Wonder if you can have adblock installed on that. But anyway, mobile surfing is lame.

mobile surfing is not lame.. you can go to forums etc. just like this one.. and i made a point my posting this with my iphone! but using the deflaut safari

Wonder if you can have adblock installed on that. But anyway, mobile surfing is lame.

Other browsers like Opera Mini and Teashark already filtering lot of pop-up ads. Flash ads are not visible on mobile browsers. So i doubt if there is any need for ABP.

And mobile surfing is not lame. It helps many people who can't get access to internet using wi-fi or broadband line. I usually go to place where there is no broadband/wi-fi lines. Only thing i get to surf internet is mobile. So in such cases Opera and tea-shark are the only browsers that can do the job for mobile surfing. With firefox we can tweak and double the speed by disabling some things on webpage like images etc.

Waiting for FF to launch for Mobile, only thing to watch out for is hope it doesn't eat much of memory.

Only if you got a wooden mobile phone, have you even tested sufring on a Nokia e51 or something like that? Its just like on the pc. Dont get me started on the Iphone, that opera browser is just fantastic.

Just to let you all know its available for all Maemo devices that includes all the nokia tablets, the n900 is basically a tablet retrofitted with a mic and a 3g radio. I heard its really fast, and the n900 display at the nokia store let me download the current alpha/beta whatever it is right now. Its pretty fast and easy to manage, but Opera still blows everything else out of teh water. Its been there for so long that we just assume that its the best, because of the integration between all versions, especially with the new unite stuff. I'm hoping it comes to android though.

I don't have an ancient phone FYI. And yes, having fancy crap on your phone doesn't make it any better for browsing. When you can type fluently with your phone's keyboard. I've used Opera Mini too, came with my Nokia 6267(or whatever it was). And me calling mobile browsing lame is purely based on my opinion, you don't have to attack people for their opinion. It's just that the screen is small, you can't type fluently, flash doesn't work very well... I want performance, usability, etc. And you don't have those with cellphones.

I don't have an ancient phone FYI. And yes, having fancy crap on your phone doesn't make it any better for browsing. When you can type fluently with your phone's keyboard. I've used Opera Mini too, came with my Nokia 6267(or whatever it was). And me calling mobile browsing lame is purely based on my opinion, you don't have to attack people for their opinion. It's just that the screen is small, you can't type fluently, flash doesn't work very well... I want performance, usability, etc. And you don't have those with cellphones.

I`m not attacking you dude, i`m just saying that all the big websites like newspapers and big forums have a mobile version. What does that tell you? I belive they are not doing that for just for fun, but because the mobile internet browsing is rising.

If you cant fluently type than you should get a qwerty phone, with the keys set just like on your PC.
In my opionion mobile browsing numbers will rise till the end of 2011 with 100%.

I`m not attacking you dude, i`m just saying that all the big websites like newspapers and big forums have a mobile version. What does that tell you? I belive they are not doing that for just for fun, but because the mobile internet browsing is rising.
If you cant fluently type than you should get a qwerty phone, with the keys set just like on your PC.
In my opionion mobile browsing numbers will rise till the end of 2011 with 100%.

The fact that mobile browsing is becoming popular doesn't change how lame it is. So in this, that just tells me that they're trying to grow their market share. Indeed they aren't doing that for fun, that would be crazy because it's lame.

Your opinion and statistics are two different things, keep them separate, please. And that qwerty phone must be pretty big if you think you can type fluently on it. Why not just get an Mac Mini or something, cheaper than the iPhone?

On small screen mobile browsing sucks. And you will get some trouble with reading as well. So yes, with bigger screen you'll have better browsing performance. Opera Mini's current version is completely useless for those who are not having touch-screen like iphone. In that case new interface of Mini is useless. If Firefox is coming up with something like that considering only those touch-screen mobiles. Then there is no point in downloading it.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

I don't know now what will be so good about Firefox mobile version? If it will be as resources hungry as on a PC.. I'm using Opera mini for a long time on my mobile phone and don't have any problems with it, the features it offers are really good and saves bandwidth, like converting all the images to small size, because when I was browsing with internal phone browser, oh my gosh it always took some time to load big images, where's Opera mini is great to do everything for you on every site..Mobile browsing sucks for a lot of reasons, but it's really really very comfortable to check something if you need to. For example, I don't have my laptop with me, but need to check my mail for something who asked me, or to check for a code I need now, I just take my mobile phone and if there is a free wireless in university I use it, if there isn't gprs is always there, especially when it's so cheap at my country, you can do it even in a bus while going home, or you talk with somebody and want to know what is the population of London, you just check at your mobile phone..Another reason I like mobile browsing is because when I travel to other countries, I can just enter a free Wireless zone like some restaurant which has it or a public library, you go there, use skype or use opera mini to contact somebody in another country by asking something or say something or checking for something or just anything you need, it's not like you're going to take your laptop with yourself just to read something quick every time, besides when traveling with a train, mobile browsing makes you do something better than watching through a window or listening to music when you don't want to read a book..I agree that it sucks to always browse with a mobile phone as it's not as comfortable as a laptop with a big screen and big keyboard, I doubt anyone could live these days without a mobile phone? I remember the old days, I needed to use a wired phone to call a friend, if he wasn't at home what could you do? wait? but somehow we lived like that :P now you can just call him or write an sms, as in my country it's usually free, depends on the plan and provider.

It seems to me that Firefox is entering the mobile browsing game fairly late. So many other browser developers either have A. contracts or B. long-standing relationships with mobile platform/device creators. Also, as it's been mentioned before, I would hope the mobile version isn't as resource-intensive as its desktop counterpart, relatively speaking. Personally, I think Firefox developers should just stick to working on improvements to the existing software, especially considering the advances Chrome, Safari, and (gasp) even IE are making.