xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deadmad7

Japanese Man Takes Video Game Character As Wife!

A Japanese guy married a video game character as his legal wife! They even had a honeymoon and put their wedding on youtube jp. He is a otaku or nerd in japanese culture. Well, thats one addicted no-life dude. They now live in tokyo...? Voice your concerns and discuss!

TOKYO (Reuters) – A Japanese man has married a character in a popular video game, taking her -- and his handheld game console -- on an overseas honeymoon.
The man, who prefers to use his online moniker SAL9000, met character Nene Anegasaki while playing dating simulation game "Love Plus."

They got married a few weeks ago, broadcasting their ceremony live on Japan's version of video-sharing website Youtube.

SAL9000, who did not want to reveal his real name for fear of being misunderstood, admits to be an "otaku," a breed of Japanese youth obsessed with video games, computers and fantasy worlds.

"In the Japanese otaku or nerd culture, there's a tradition of calling characters my wife, and I sort of thought of Nene as my wife. Since I was calling her that, I thought we'd just have to get married then," he told Reuters Television.

"If more people were to find ways of expressing themselves like this, I think it would make society a bit more interesting."

The newlyweds, who went on a honeymoon to Guam, now go on dates around Tokyo, with SAL9000 taking pictures of Nene, installed in his Nintendo DS, in front of famous landmarks and then posting them on social networking sites.

As the game "Love Plus" has voice recognition software, SAL9000 says it's possible to have a sort of conversation with Nene or even play simple games such as rock, paper, scissors.

He also has vowed to have and to hold, for better and for worse, even if another, updated version of the game is released.

"I think I'll probably continue playing Love Plus. I won't cheat," SAL9000 said.

(Editing by Miral Fahmy)

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

At first, I thought this would have been something that happened within a sandbox game, such as Grand Theft Auto, in which the player's character is free to roam about the city and do whatever one would do in real life. This seems to be different though - the Japanese guy pretends his Nintendo DS contains his wife! I wonder how he would react if a newer version of Love Plus replaces the character that he is in love with... or even if that happens by means of an auto-update (I do not know if the Nintendo DS is anything like an iPhone, but iTunes displays a very tempting 'Update' button and users are forced to update without prior knowledge of what changes are being made, unless they keep reading up on the news). I think he would then declare his wife legally dead and bury the Nintendo DS at a graveyard. Or perhaps sue the makers of the game for murdering his wife?

According to divorcerate.org, divorce rate in Japan is 27%. I wonder what the divorce rate will be with video game characters? It would be interesting to see who's happier with their marriage, a real couple or a semi-real couple. Did anyone watch the wedding video? I don't feel like wasting my time with it, but did want to know if it was a real wedding. There's no way I could ever 'accept' this as being normal though. In some weird way, I can understand a person falling in love with this perfect woman. I'm not insulting the people that do. A quick look on Google shows that this is not an isolated thing. Men are taking their Nintendo's to bed, to the bath, their real wives are getting angry. People fall in love over the internet, so it's not so outrageous to think that these men become attracted to a beautiful video game character who was designed to have an attractive personality. However, these people should admit that real life marriage with a game character -- carrying around a Nintendo DS -- just isn't normal. A person like this is either making a mockery of marriage, or needs mental help.

Only in Japan, is all i can say. If you did that in Australia you'd be an automatic out cast and would never here the end of it. Apparently the marriage was performed by a real priest but wasn't legally binding. He had a DJ at the wedding and some slides of the two together to demonstrate how stupid he is. She'll have to corrupt herself to get away from him! They could join the circus together and make people laugh! LOL

....... you can't be serious......LOLOLOLOLOLOLOWUT?omg, marry a video game? he must have mental problems.... like... he must have played that game so much that it made him crazy... and they allowed him to legally marry a game? ******* retarded. I wanted to go to japan but I never knew they were this obsessed with pixels!

I think that guy definitely needs help. He cant separate between reality and virtual. But then, with due respect to the Japanese, they seem to always come out with something amazing and shock lots of people in the world.

Hi!@rob86Apparently, in some parts of the Arab world, the bride does not have to consent to a wedding for it to be legal as long as the groom agrees to get married. I wonder how they would deal with the issue of consent or intent when the bride is a computer game character.@inverse_bloomI would imagine that the wedding isn't legal because they cannot demonstrate in a court of law that both parties, one of which does not even exist, were willfully wedded.@sheepdogIf a one-liner is worth 2 cents, you can call it your two cents worth :-P@Soviet RatheJust out of curiosity, what's the "WUT" in "LOLOWUT"?You could still go to Japan and then post about the stuff that you observe every day to earn lots and lots and lots of myCENTs.@kleongThe Japanese also seem to come up with the coolest of stuff. Unfortunately, most of it doesn't seem to make it to the rest of the world.

One thing i failed to see, in real life you can't make any girl love you or like you(Forecefully). Then how he manages to propose the girl in video game and she said yes. Oh galactus, video game gals are sober i guess. I can see there is some future business opportunity in this. (Expect Secondlife characters having marriage and divorce as well :P )

well, STRANGE the only word i can think of while my mouth is still wide open while my eyes are squinting, looking at the words i just read. to each their ownwonder what their kids are gonna look like.....

well, STRANGE the only word i can think of while my mouth is still wide open while my eyes are squinting, looking at the words i just read. to each their own
wonder what their kids are gonna look like.....

For all I know, he could just start telling the game designers to draw his "kids" into the game.

If he's rich he could probably get them to do that, i guess.

On a side note, he marries this in-game wife.

So what happens to all the other people who have Love Plus on their Nintendo DS with the same exact character, avatar, and Artificial Intelligence?
Is he going to sue all of them for kidnapping his wife? xP

Just as they say, possibilities are endless... literally.

For all I know, he could just start telling the game designers to draw his "kids" into the game.

If he's rich he could probably get them to do that, i guess.

On a side note, he marries this in-game wife.

So what happens to all the other people who have Love Plus on their Nintendo DS with the same exact character, avatar, and Artificial Intelligence?

Is he going to sue all of them for kidnapping his wife? xP

Just as they say, possibilities are endless... literally.

wow XD i have his girlfriend on my DS : ) shes cheating on him!

@anwii :

they will look probably like this -

Posted Image

edit: RESIZING THE IMAGE DOESN'T WORK!

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

Presently he is not bothered with kids, if we wants them or not. And anyways if there be kids of them the kids will be like their mother. So another weird peice. And there is a condition that I think is worth noting, there will be no gestation period so this Japanese muse can have as many kittens as he likes without any labour. Wow.