xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deadmad7

6 Cool & Useful Google Chrome Tricks Historys Fastest Browser

I use Google Chrome a lot on a daily basis and its been a hell of a browser. Its fast, skins are nice and but here are a few tweeks and tips for a better experience. Here are six such tricks.

1. Detach a Tab To a New Window

Firefox 3.5 now has it but it was Google Chrome which introduced it. You can easily click and drag a tab outside of the main browser window to a new window.

2. Drag Downloads To Desktop / Folder

Another cool feature similar to the tab detach feature. You can drag and drop downloads to any folder or the desktop directly from the browser.

3. Learn The Shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts help in increasing your efficiency while working on the computer. Google Chrome has its own set of useful keyboard shortcuts which you can find here.

4. Use Resources Page To Check Website Load Time

Right click on a web page and click on Inspect element . Then click on Resources tab to check what parts of a web page are taking time to load. Useful for developers and webmasters.

5. Make the Most Out Of Address Bar

Google Chromes address bar works as Google search bar too. Hence you could do things like conversions, calculations and dictionary lookups directly from the address bar.

6. Drag & Resize Text Box On a Web Page

Another cool feature. You can drag any text box at the corner and increase its size. Like in the screenshot below, I can resize the comment box of this blog easily by dragging it downwards

For more tips and tricks visit this site

I personally don't want google chrome browser to be with more plugins and features, I prefer it to be as simple as possible and fast and of course secure, because of the way I'm using my browsers.I use Google chrome as my default browser, whenever I open link on IRC, Skype or anywhere in a program or some installers open a page, it's viewed in google chrome, all those *BLEEP* links go to chrome, they open fast and I can view them, usually youtube links and etc. I later just clear cookies and everything, as the links I like I bookmark them on Opera.Opera is my main browser, It has saved passwords, cookies and opened tabs for sites I visit occasionally, in this way it doesn't get full of those chat links and everything is clean.So if google chrome will get more features it will definitely become slower, as I doubt it's GUI can be optimized so much as Opera, just that webkit needs to work well.Anyone knows any difference between Safari for Windows and Google chrome? :P When Safari changed their GUI more suitable for Windows it has become much better. :P

I can honestly say the Chrome is the best browser by far. In addition to the tips you mentioned, you can also use the url as a google search box. Just type in your search string and hit enter. It will bring up Google with your search results.

Yes, that search query to URL feature from chrome is cool. I wish it gets embeded in firefox. it may work similar but not exactly like chrome in FF. That is really a good feature that i miss on firefox. I second quatrux view on limiting the extra add-ons. They can embed some features in their browser and then compact it again but more add-ons will definitely slow it down. For example, ad-block plus strips out a lot of scripts and in turn slows the browser. Be it any browser firefox, chrome or opera browser etc. So there should be limit on number of add-ons.

1. Detach a Tab To a New Window

Firefox 3.5 now has it but it was Google Chrome which introduced it. You can easily click and drag a tab outside of the main browser window to a new window.

5. Make the Most Out Of Address Bar

Google Chromes address bar works as Google search bar too. Hence you could do things like conversions, calculations and dictionary lookups directly from the address bar.

I am already enjoying this features on Firefox since 3.3. To clone item 5, first set google as your default search engine and then type as you like on the address bar. If firefox detects that is it not a valid domain name then it will call up google.

Conversions,, calculations and dictionary lookups are being done inside google.

It will be nice that chrome will have more plugins to choose from. The good thing is that quality and checked/verified plugins for Firefox also works for chrome without downloading a chrome specific plugin. I am using 5 plugins for Firefox and all got imported to chrome. A friend have 11 plugins that are being turned on and off and was able to import 10 of them to chrome.

I am using chrome and firefox most of the time, spare time was being devoted to Opera. My least favorite is Safari due to think font rendering. They mess up precise styled divs. The browser that I seldom or never bother to use is IE, most of the time it was blocked to access the world wide web and don't ask me why :D. I will love to remove IE if only I could and won't need it to check for IE specific problems with my web layouts.

Google.com in english is nice search engine add-on for firefox. If you are using firefox with default google search then it always redirects to your local version. If you want to access wonder wheel and other US version features then you have to use the "google.com in english" add-on. I don't know if chrome allows this feature. I have not managed to work out with chrome on this issue for redirecting the search results to US page.

There is an addon in firefox (Omnibar) which gives you a Chrome-like address bar (full width) and hides the search box. If i type a url like kdjfhakjfhkajfh.abc it will call up the domain, if i type "dogs" i will get a google results page for dogs.There is nothing that Chrome can do that FF cant, except sandboxing....

2. Drag Downloads To Desktop / Folder

This is the only thing I am not sure that Firefox can do just for the plain reason that I have no use for this feature and I never tried it.

This is the only thing I am not sure that Firefox can do just for the plain reason that I have no use for this feature and I never tried it.

Ha ha. I didn't noticed that feature. I doubt if anyone of us ever need that feature for most browsing usage. On firefox you can set the directory anywhere you want with plugin - downthemall. So i doubt anyone needs it anyway for their browsing.

that is in fact an interesting feature. for the most part, people download to one directory already set in their browser and then apply it to the appropriate folder after the file is saved or unpacked. with this feature makes it easy to be more efficient when you can drag the file directly to the folder you want. interesting. i don't use chrome but am willing to download it just to see how that feature works. it efectively illiminates one step in the organization process of files on the computer that most everyone does. if a person only downloads a file a month, it may make no difference. but if someone downloads 10-20 files a day, it might be a real time saver. especially for those lazy people who waits until their desktop is full before organizing or waiting til their download folder has 100 files in it and forgets what each file actually is.