xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

New Rapidshare Rule

Rapidshare is always looking for an excuse to get people to pay for their services and that's the reason they're introducing rules like this one.

Is asking for money for service is excuse ? I mean free philosophy is good but you can't get food for free and same is the case for shelter and electricity and other things that include gadgets.

The reason some servers afford free service is because they buy bandwidth in bulk and some is wasted for them and from that they use adsense or CPM ads on site to cover any additional and earn from that. web1000.com before merging with theplanet did this stunt of file sharing and hosting. And it didn't worked. Everybody is doing this for money.

These rules from rapidshare are not excuses. Those who use the premium services of their site are happy with it. Most of the free users like us hate them cause it is hurting our free-piracy driven habit of downloading.

They're already making millions by selling millions so that people can download illegal content off the net but they're still not satisfied.

How you know that they are earning millions by selling accounts of illegal content ? even if premium user uploads illegal content he gets account removal. Check the free ebook sites, if the URL of rapidshare on those sites is reported then within 24 hours that URL is taken down. So i think you're accusing company without even knowing about their policy.

Is asking for money for service is excuse ? I mean free philosophy is good but you can't get food for free and same is the case for shelter and electricity and other things that include gadgets.
The reason some servers afford free service is because they buy bandwidth in bulk and some is wasted for them and from that they use adsense or CPM ads on site to cover any additional and earn from that. web1000.com before merging with theplanet did this stunt of file sharing and hosting. And it didn't worked. Everybody is doing this for money.

These rules from rapidshare are not excuses. Those who use the premium services of their site are happy with it. Most of the free users like us hate them cause it is hurting our free-piracy driven habit of downloading.

How you know that they are earning millions by selling accounts of illegal content ? even if premium user uploads illegal content he gets account removal. Check the free ebook sites, if the URL of rapidshare on those sites is reported then within 24 hours that URL is taken down. So i think you're accusing company without even knowing about their policy.

If they had a strong anti-piracy policy then they would have provided some sort of checking system (something like what youtube does) to check whether the uploaded files are legit or not-they remove the files only if someone pokes them to do so -otherwise they ignore the fact that they are a large source of piracy distribution -and we can safely assume that atleast a million people have bought accounts on that site so they're coolly counting their millions while ignoring the copyright infringements!

If they had a strong anti-piracy policy then they would have provided some sort of checking system (something like what youtube does)

You're kidding me right ? Comparing rapisdhare with youtube ? I have seen many movies floating on youtube for more than year now. movies like solstice, midnight meat train and the myst are there since last 6 months. I can show you latest DJ Sets which are uploaded in day or two after the show and not to forget there are many songs and videos which are not legal to be in youtube at first place, and you think they have anti-piracy feature ? another take on here is youtube is media distributor while rapidshare is file sharing network. it accepts various file formats. So comparison is not justified.

to check whether the uploaded files are legit or not-they remove the files only if someone pokes them to do so -otherwise they ignore the fact that they are a large source of piracy distribution

-

any file sharing site can be abused and i can show you amazon's storage service is also abused by many users. point is that not a single site have check for legit files and there will be always some way to get ahead of some check. As DMCA is removed from most of the movies/audio forms and once they are converted into file format which takes low space and encoded then after flv conversion. how you gonna find out that it is legit or not ?

and we can safely assume that atleast a million people have bought accounts on that site so they're coolly counting their millions while ignoring the copyright infringements!

Hmm, this is assumption that they are allowing users to create account and upload illegal content. What is your proof for accusing that way to this company ? you and me both can't do that without any proof. any warez friend of yours can prove that ? if so, then let's go with it we can bring it down just like some people took napster down. and there was one attempt against mininova as well but they closed down before that. If you accuse rapidshare openly for such activities with proof (if there is), do you know what copyright trouble they'll face ? Take my word,even if they sell rapidshare they'll not come out of debt(court fees and fine).

Rapidshare no longer has the stranglehold it once had. But to alienate users by moving the goal posts will be to its detriment.Such services need to be like web hosts... Secure, stable, and static!

You're kidding me right ? Comparing rapisdhare with youtube ? I have seen many movies floating on youtube for more than year now. movies like solstice, midnight meat train and the myst are there since last 6 months. I can show you latest DJ Sets which are uploaded in day or two after the show and not to forget there are many songs and videos which are not legal to be in youtube at first place, and you think they have anti-piracy feature ? another take on here is youtube is media distributor while rapidshare is file sharing network. it accepts various file formats. So comparison is not justified.

Youtube may be having tons of illegal content on it, but it's effective at least in some areas. For example, I tried to upload a small clip of The Simpsons (from an original DVD, just in case you got the doubt :P ) and it was blocked! This may be a stray incident but I'm sure there are many more such blocks placed on there. Youtube isn't doing anything about the already uploaded videos but it's certainly doing something about the ones being uploaded now :P

any file sharing site can be abused and i can show you amazon's storage service is also abused by many users. point is that not a single site have check for legit files and there will be always some way to get ahead of some check. As DMCA is removed from most of the movies/audio forms and once they are converted into file format which takes low space and encoded then after flv conversion. how you gonna find out that it is legit or not ?

Yes I agree that all good services on the net can be abused in some way or the other, but when RS knows about this matter and is still keeping quiet (unless of course, someone points out the abuse) it only means they're only happy about the current happenings...

Hmm, this is assumption that they are allowing users to create account and upload illegal content. What is your proof for accusing that way to this company ? you and me both can't do that without any proof. any warez friend of yours can prove that ? if so, then let's go with it we can bring it down just like some people took napster down. and there was one attempt against mininova as well but they closed down before that. If you accuse rapidshare openly for such activities with proof (if there is), do you know what copyright trouble they'll face ? Take my word,even if they sell rapidshare they'll not come out of debt(court fees and fine).

I'm not fully aware about the Napster case because I didn't even know about the internet at that time, but in the case of bit torrents everything is public, isn't it? But in case of sites like RS they have strong privacy policies so we never know how many people are buying accounts and what they are downloading etc. That's probably the reason the site is still alive and I don't need anyone from the warez scene to support my "million" figure. 1 million (10 lakhs, if you will) is hardly a huge figure. There are at least six million downloads of any big film/music album these days (got that statistic from a newspaper!) and can't we assume just 1 million of those 6 million have premium accounts? I was only guessing a tiny figure, to be honest!!!

Well, I think rapidshare won't be as popular as it used to be after this, for non premium users it really got a headache with all those waiting for download and later when you wait, it says that your IP is downloading something, when I know that my IP is not downloading anything and I'm the only person using it..Well, I don't really download to much stuff, but still I prefer a better service, than a bad service. :P

Youtube may be having tons of illegal content on it, but it's effective at least in some areas. For example, I tried to upload a small clip of The Simpsons (from an original DVD, just in case you got the doubt tongue.gif ) and it was blocked! This may be a stray incident but I'm sure there are many more such blocks placed on there. Youtube isn't doing anything about the already uploaded videos but it's certainly doing something about the ones being uploaded now

Hmm, you want me to tell you how to bypass that :P. Can't do that here as this is not warez or piracy support forum. :P You can easily bypass that. Trouble for your case is your are not aware of some encodings and file types. There are some family guy season 1 episodes floating in some places(just to give you hint). It is only effective if the uploader newbie,else people know how to bypass that.

Yes I agree that all good services on the net can be abused in some way or the other, but when RS knows about this matter and is still keeping quiet (unless of course, someone points out the abuse) it only means they're only happy about the current happenings...

Now you are targeting service without having any solid proof against it. If you report any warez link to rapidshare how much time it takes for them to remove that? if it takes months then i'll agree with you on this. Else there is no point in accusing them.

I'm not fully aware about the Napster case because I didn't even know about the internet at that time, but in the case of bit torrents everything is public, isn't it?

It's hard to take down private torrent sites(like demonfire) when they have their own server and just high BW line. So even if it's public it's illegal. And napster is not torrent site from beginning (it was p2p, it is supporting torrents these days maybe i'm not subscriber so can't comment on that).

But in case of sites like RS they have strong privacy policies so we never know how many people are buying accounts and what they are downloading etc. That's probably the reason the site is still alive and I don't need anyone from the warez scene to support my "million" figure.

Only company knows how many accounts they have sold and are marketing that figure without overselling. So any figure from press/blogs is inaccurate.
And if you think count of 1million or so with having illegal content accounts then that makes them much bigger than napster cause here the content is still illegal. So if you file report against them with this proof then i'm sure they'll be fined for it. But i'm not seeing any media or DMCA people doing that. Why so ?

what the heck first of all i don't like that rule hmm they don't even ask suggestions into their members also to those premium users they just declared it also premium doesn't have the freedom but they are paying

I think it's funny how people complain about FREE stuff.I never had any real problems with RapidShare. It was annoying that you could only download one file at a time and that you had to wait a certain amount of time afterwards (depending on the size of the last file you downloaded), but it was FREE. Of course RapidShare is going to want you to pay for their stuff... because on their end, none of the services they provide are free of charge to them. They're already doing YOU a favor by letting YOU use their services for FREE to see if you like it, and if you do, you can pay for it. My wife tried out MegaVideo and has been using it free for the longest time, but the 62 minute time limit drove her nuts, so she paid the $10 for a month's unlimited use... because it was a good service in her eyes. It's just how it is, and it works (evidently in this case).Being limited to a 100MB upload kind of stinks, but with millions of users probably uploading all of their crap, you can understand why there should be a cap to how much you can upload at a time, not to mention the expiration dates for files that don't seem to be of interest to anyone. If it takes two months for just ONE user in the entire world to keep a file alive, I think the 60 day expiration date will be fine.If you're unwilling to pay for your crap, feel free to go to another service or get your fix in another way, or figure out a workaround to make it free for yourself.

Hmm, you want me to tell you how to bypass that wink.gif. Can't do that here as this is not warez or piracy support forum. tongue.gif You can easily bypass that. Trouble for your case is your are not aware of some encodings and file types. There are some family guy season 1 episodes floating in some places(just to give you hint). It is only effective if the uploader newbie,else people know how to bypass that.

Thanks for the offer but I already know how to bypass it :D I just didn't mention it that's all. I was just highlighting the point that there was such a blocking system in place.

Now you are targeting service without having any solid proof against it. If you report any warez link to rapidshare how much time it takes for them to remove that? if it takes months then i'll agree with you on this. Else there is no point in accusing them.

It's hard to take down private torrent sites(like demonfire) when they have their own server and just high BW line. So even if it's public it's illegal. And napster is not torrent site from beginning (it was p2p, it is supporting torrents these days maybe i'm not subscriber so can't comment on that).

Only company knows how many accounts they have sold and are marketing that figure without overselling. So any figure from press/blogs is inaccurate.
And if you think count of 1million or so with having illegal content accounts then that makes them much bigger than napster cause here the content is still illegal. So if you file report against them with this proof then i'm sure they'll be fined for it. But i'm not seeing any media or DMCA people doing that. Why so ?

Well you make some convincing points but I feel that we've taken the topic elsewhere with out little argument. Let's stop the amazing battle here, shall we :P :P RS can keep on making weird rules and continue filling their pockets; there won't be any dearth of customers for them any soon...

Lol, i didn't thought of it as argument as i was interested in knowing what people think about sites like RS and i just made my views. Never thought of it as argument.

Well it is now very clear that Rapidshare are cutting down on Free users etc. Everytime I go to download it says the number of Free user slots is used up. Well what a load of Bullsh** that is... Well good bye rapidshare!

Ok Rapidshare is going bad with the pass of the time and maybe this is because there are a lot of people that use rapidshare because is the "best" filehosting in the planet... Not for its speed or its free service is because they have stored a lot of files and everything, and I say everything can be found on Rapidshare.com and that is a lot of people have collector?s account and prefer to use Rapidshare and not other services for the same reason...I am a Rapidshare client since I got this information.... however I only bougth an account since this and all others I got uploading files in my collector account but now rapidshare changes all the rules and you have 10000 "premium" Rapidpoints to get a free premium account and I have to say that is very difficult to get all that premium Rapidpoints because the most of people use the free services and gave you freerapidpoints... The file storage is not a problem at all if you use your collector account only to collect rapidpoints because I imagine that you upload only files that you know that the people is looking for and will download a lot of times from your account...MY recomendation:...continue using Rapidshare to get free accounts because almost all the others free webservers except megaupload and kittys with the power that Rapidshare have in this time...And if you want to go away from Rapidshare I recommend you Depositfiles.com that have a good revenue program and is the fourth filehoster most used...Bye...

Well guys if you want these issues to go away then just buy a rapidshare premium account. It costs like what... 9 dollars a month or something like that? I don't really use filehosting services anymore. Whenever I have a file of some sort that people would be interested in downloading I just upload it to my server and then remove it when it needs to be. I think Megaupload seems better though to be honest in terms of people who are "Free Users." With rapidshare, it tells you that you cannot download another file after you after just downloaded one. I have never gotten such an issue with MEgaupload. Though, with megaupload you are not able to download more than one file at a time, which is totally reasonable to me and exactly what rapidshare does as well. But anyway, point I am trying to make is if you are going to be using rapidshare or any other file hosting servcice for an extended period of time, then why don't you just invest the 9 dollars a month or so.