xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
H.O.D

How Good Are Digital Photo Frames?

Thanks to digital cameras most people have stopped purchasing photo albums, right? :P But thanks to digital frames, at least these accesories are back in demand. I was thinking of purchasing one as a gift to my friend, but I wanted to know if it's worth the price - are they really good? And are there are heavy disadvantages like short life, etc? I would still buy one even if it had a short life, but it would feel good to know in advance about such things. so please share your experience about these cool gadgets :P

My own personal opinion is that it really takes "digitalizing" too far. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea... It's just... I think it is more of a momento to have the actual pictures instead of letting something pixalate for you. There's just a different feeling to me.

actually, i see digital picture frames as a waste of money. a photo frame is intended for display, all day long, at a corner or on a cabinet or desk nook. who will watch the digital photo parade when no one is around? the cat? :P it's better to just have it hosted online, or just kept in digital storage on your hard drive.digital photo frames are not even that good. screen size? you'd squint your eyes just to see your pictures! resolution? cropping? layout? not every photo is taken the same way... some vertical, some horizontal, and at varying resolutions. if people are too lazy to edit their photos (which i assume they would be to use a plug-and-play digital frame :P), the aesthetic appeal of the pictures are lost! power? even if they are not power hungry, they would still need power. unlike old-fashioned photo frames. :)in conclusion, i thumb down on these digital frames. :) but that's just me. :P

I complete agree with the members of this forum here. I mean, I really don't get the point of having a Digital Photo Frame... they just cut out bits of your picture, and I don't think that it looks all that realistic and good. Well, OK, I get the point. It's not meant to be realistic, but take it this way. A real material photo frame actually protects the photo and makes it stand up.It is for memories and such. But a digital photo frame, on the other hand, doesn't exactly do anything but cut out the edges of your photo and replaces it with some random rubbish pattern and it doesn't even make the picture stand up properly, nor does it protect the picture from anything... it's just the same photo, technically, that is degraded.I mean, why would anyone want to pay for a digital photo frame so that they can cover up the background, if not the people or main content in their photos. To me, it's just well... pointless, you might say... :P

:) I am a casual photographer and I still feel Paper is better than electronic. Don't get me wrong but I feel digital photos are life less. I somehow feel that the printed photographs have a better and lasting effect than the digital ones. You can forget where you kept your digital snaps. And if your drive crashes everything is gone.Still.. Digiframes are much in demand. You save on the cost of printing the pic. No camera rolls etc. Just shoot and plug in a pen-drive :PThey have a good life as long as they don't get water in them :P ..

Those are some good points- while I agree that nothing beats printing on paper and storing them, putting pictures in frames and gifting them to someone is very thoughtful. I still take print-outs of my "digital" photos coz that's the best way to back them up. But here the point is about frames. In ordinary frames you only get to put one pic at a time while here there's a slideshow going on all the time. And if you ever get bored of seeing the same pics all the time it's easy to put in a fresh bunch.

Edited by The Simpleton (see edit history)

Dear friend even I have heard a lot about digital frames, albums etc. but what I think you may also give some contemporary one with jewels etc. it may cost higher than the normal frames but it can be given a thought is'nt it. By the way if you have made your mind for the digital one then go for it but please be causious about the make and brand, go for some good brand.?

wow those are some good-looking frames! But could you please mention their brands? I'd like to know more about their pricing, etc. And as for the jewels, well that depends on the price, right? But that's a good idea too :P

Edited by The Simpleton (see edit history)

i have to disagree with you. a frame is a fram is a frame. they are all meant for display. it's give and take though. non digital images are always the best in my opinion...but there is just so much you can do with digital. you said digital frames aren't that good. where are you getting your information? i have owned a couple and the pictures make the room. you can choose the pictures you want to display depending on your storage capacity. you have a lot of options with digital frames with VERY good quality depending on your picture taking skills.

i say thumbs up. it's also a good conversation piece when company is over. they are always interested in looking at all the pictures. a digital frame is always a nice addition but not all over the house like every other picture frame haha that would be too much and just look plain ugly for a typical home or office

actually, i see digital picture frames as a waste of money. a photo frame is intended for display, all day long, at a corner or on a cabinet or desk nook. who will watch the digital photo parade when no one is around? the cat? :P it's better to just have it hosted online, or just kept in digital storage on your hard drive.
digital photo frames are not even that good. screen size? you'd squint your eyes just to see your pictures! resolution? cropping? layout? not every photo is taken the same way... some vertical, some horizontal, and at varying resolutions. if people are too lazy to edit their photos (which i assume they would be to use a plug-and-play digital frame :P), the aesthetic appeal of the pictures are lost! power? even if they are not power hungry, they would still need power. unlike old-fashioned photo frames. :)

in conclusion, i thumb down on these digital frames. :) but that's just me. :P

It really depends on how many pictures you have then as well. For me, I don't have a lot of pictures up so there wouldn't be much use. I guess it's more geared to people who would normally have their walls completely covered with pictures (and even more that aren't up due to storage space) and want to have them in a more "compact" format. I could see it working for that use.