xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Would You Post @ Trap17 If There Were No Mycents?

Posting without myCENTs  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well I'm glad that there are some members interested in the forums and not just in the money. spammers do get kind of irritating but if there are a lot of active members then they can simply ignore the spammers and proceed with their routine. we've got a good team of mods so there's not much to worry about spamming ;)

Yes I would keep posting even if i did not get credits for it because I am not even hosted through mycents right now, i pay!

I think this is just a great forum community and I hope it continues to thrive, and I can continue to help with my posts and topics.

Long live t17!

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

Wow you really are an inspiration to us Tramposch ;) You and all the others who pay for their hosting and yet stay here on T17. I hope someday I too will be in a position to support T17 in the same way because I know as more and more members use the hosting the more Xisto has to spend on b/w and other features.

Wow you really are an inspiration to us Tramposch ;) You and all the others who pay for their hosting and yet stay here on T17. I hope someday I too will be in a position to support T17 in the same way because I know as more and more members use the hosting the more Xisto has to spend on b/w and other features.

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Xisto are one of the greatest communities out there. And they do that while offering free hosting to many of its users.

I just really hope Xisto has a long life.

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

This would be a multi-faceted argument for me.Free hosting for credits was my first draw to Xisto. I don't even remember how I found Xisto... I just remembered that it would have been cool to get "paid" to post and since I've always wanted to do a website, I signed up and started posting and hoarding credits.Then the myCents overhaul went into effect, and I lost my hosting credits, but it doesn't bother me now considering that I actually do post enough and contribute enough to buy myself a decent hosting package and sustain it for over three years (I think) without ever posting again.The myCents program is awesome. I love knowing that for every word that I contribute, I am getting "paid" in credit to host my website if and when I actually get around to doing it. It is one of the reasons why I'm still here, posting away.On the forum perspective, however, there are just too many people continually posting with what I consider in my harsh opinion garbage. I hate spam, I hate wasting my time with reading useless posts, and as unfair as it is to people with English as a secondary language, it sucks when I have to sift through their posts and even ignore some of them because they have no intellectual value whatsoever. Most likely, this works in conjunction with spamming... the same "offenders" do it over and over again, but with varying cultures, varying levels of language proficiency, and various outlooks on what a forum is, I can't exactly point fingers and say that they're doing it wrong. Yes, I have the option and the freedom of ignoring these posts, and fortunately there are enough topics to keep my interest on Xisto, but it irks me when I make up a topic and then someone chimes in with "Hi im joesnuffy134 and i understand your problem thanks." Maybe they meant well and were trying to sympathize, or finding a thread to skim and add a few words to increase their post count, or just spamming to see how many credits they can score. I have no idea. I don't mean to pick on anyone about it, but it's one of those problems with forums that you'll get anywhere, but moreso here with the incentive to post AND spam because no one reads the rules. They're too busy being excited over earning free hosting credits until someone slaps them on the hand, then they either clean up their act or leave us with crap and an inactive account... or they can't help it because they just don't understand the concept.On a more positive note, I have found some cool people here that I enjoy chatting with or reading their topics. I won't name them, but I'm sure anyone can figure out who actually puts thought into their posts and who just mindlessly post. That's what I like. But then again, that's completely subjective.

It's hard to say hard to say, like so many others I too came for the free hosting oh so many years ago, or rather I came for free PHP hosting oh so many years ago. For me I never really used my account until last year when I started up a blog and started moving my posting over there thus the reason I haven't been here much.Of course, with my personal life getting more concentration then ever I have an even harder time to post about stuff, but overall I try to come over and say hi to those who know me and stuff. The interesting part is in the last year or so I been talking to various people about what would happen to this site if the hosting element was taken out, granted the money generated from the ads would pay for the space on Xisto I know that much. For those who here in 2007 really saw me explode as I was posting everywhere and everything and I told many that I want to hit 10,000 posts on Xisto and then retire ;). So I guess I still have unfinished work here on Xisto and so I would hope it will be here for a bit longer to complete such goals.

On the forum perspective, however, there are just too many people continually posting with what I consider in my harsh opinion garbage. I hate spam, I hate wasting my time with reading useless posts, and as unfair as it is to people with English as a secondary language, it sucks when I have to sift through their posts and even ignore some of them because they have no intellectual value whatsoever. Most likely, this works in conjunction with spamming... the same "offenders" do it over and over again, but with varying cultures, varying levels of language proficiency, and various outlooks on what a forum is, I can't exactly point fingers and say that they're doing it wrong. Yes, I have the option and the freedom of ignoring these posts, and fortunately there are enough topics to keep my interest on Xisto, but it irks me when I make up a topic and then someone chimes in with "Hi im joesnuffy134 and i understand your problem thanks." Maybe they meant well and were trying to sympathize, or finding a thread to skim and add a few words to increase their post count, or just spamming to see how many credits they can score. I have no idea. I don't mean to pick on anyone about it, but it's one of those problems with forums that you'll get anywhere, but moreso here with the incentive to post AND spam because no one reads the rules. They're too busy being excited over earning free hosting credits until someone slaps them on the hand, then they either clean up their act or leave us with crap and an inactive account... or they can't help it because they just don't understand the concept.

On a more positive note, I have found some cool people here that I enjoy chatting with or reading their topics. I won't name them, but I'm sure anyone can figure out who actually puts thought into their posts and who just mindlessly post. That's what I like. But then again, that's completely subjective.

Yes there are lots of members like that (who knows I may be one of them ;)) who post without any meaning and it is indeed a bit hard to read such kind of posts. But for all we know they could just be people with a bit weak English and thus aren't able to put their thoughts in properly. Then there are others who spam on purpose but still manage to get away without any warning. You get to meet all kinds of people on this forum and that's one of the things that draws me closer.

Spamming is a problem that is faced by every forum on the internet but I think Xisto has a strange type of spamming and that arises due to the involvement of myCENTs. The desire to earn more and more with each post makes them post things that they don't intend to write! Anyway it's bound to happen with such a lucrative system so we'll have to live with it that's all!

Of course, with my personal life getting more concentration then ever I have an even harder time to post about stuff, but overall I try to come over and say hi to those who know me and stuff. The interesting part is in the last year or so I been talking to various people about what would happen to this site if the hosting element was taken out, granted the money generated from the ads would pay for the space on Xisto I know that much.

For those who here in 2007 really saw me explode as I was posting everywhere and everything and I told many that I want to hit 10,000 posts on Xisto and then retire laugh.gif. So I guess I still have unfinished work here on Xisto and so I would hope it will be here for a bit longer to complete such goals.

wow 10,000 is a very ambitious target and you really aren't very far from it :P You certainly seem to be the most active member here although I think for the past few days there's been a slight decline? Anyway, thanks to members like you the forums will remain active, although I don't know how many people would approve that velocity of posting!

Edited by The Simpleton (see edit history)

Truly speaking I would be posting here even if there were no myCENTs. Basically I join this forum and you guys because I want my site to get hosted in any circumstance. Even the reason of joining this forum is still unchanged. One reason of posting here is still this.However, there is a possibility that if there were no mycents before I join this forum I wouldn't be here. I would have gone somewhere else to get my website hosted at free of cost. So it is true that I join Xisto because of mycents but at the same time it is also true that I am posting here because of the good community that Xisto have got. In the future also I will continue posting at Xisto even if there were no mycents...however, no. of posts that I normally post here will decrease! ;)

I am new to Xisto and the reason I joined this forum is absolutely the free hosting it offers. Yes most of the people join such forums for the same reasons as mine. But after joining Xisto I realized the huge community it has and what it has to offer(content wise not hosting wise). It is definitely a place to visit quite often even if it is not offering any myCents. Xisto is not limited to technical forum or some any kind of a particular area wise based forum. It is a general forum where you can talk about almost everything including technology,spirituality,news,health,reviews and even personal problem and you have a whole big community to answer your questions. Its great even without myCents.So in my opinion I would come here even if it stops offering myCents. Yes, I know I would visit the forum only when I would be in need of some help. I would not come so often or regularly as I now plan to do.So definitely number of users and number of visits per user will decrease if Xisto stops offering myCents.

So definitely number of users and number of visits per user will decrease if Xisto stops offering myCents.

I think the effect won't be that much but there will surely be some decrease in the number of posts. Anyway, we needn't worry about the myCENTs system being taken off because that's something that's never going to happen - it's like imagining Google without it's search engine! ;)

Like most of us, I was attracted to Xisto because of the hosting. I have had hosting before and it was great. Besides that i enjoy posting in the forums. There maybe times where I would log in for a day or two so there would be some more topics to discuss about. I like the atmosphere of Trap and the people in the community. The admins are very helpful and the people are generally great. But I do say that hosting is a part of why I would stay here too.

I think the effect won't be that much but there will surely be some decrease in the number of posts. Anyway, we needn't worry about the myCENTs system being taken off because that's something that's never going to happen - it's like imagining Google without it's search engine!

I think most of the paid customers will remain. But those who opted for mycents and hosted sites and domains by purely on income of mycents will leave. Many people are joining and spamming because of mycents. So if mycents are removed then i dont think there is reason for them to join. Besides, credit system is old in post2host type hosting. So people will not come back if credit system is revoked. Though i feel there are chances of mycent system going down if spammer and un-necesary posters are not controlled. And about chances mycents will be taken away from Xisto and asta. Yes, there are chances. If people continue to post un-necessary posts(lines) in their posts then sure there is loss of mycents. Such users should be reported for spamming. If not reported then rest of the others will suffer if mycents shut down. So spammers and excessive-posters need to be controlled.

I think for me its half and half. I supplement the expenses of my hosting account with half of my own money and the rest with the myCents i obtain. Otherwise if i wasnt earning mycents, i'd probably do without hosting and i'd post twice a week on the trap rather than trying every day. But after saying that, its not even about trying to get as much myCents as possible, but more the act of "hoarding" or "collecting" which suits my personality. For me i enjoy reading what others have to say, i appreciate the opportunity to absorb opinions and to offer something which i believe others may value. Most of all for me personally, i appreciate the community aspect of Xisto. For instance the customary "hello's" offered every day and the various personality's evident here. It's a more enriching experience compared to Facebook for example, where you learn nothing, talk crud mostly and generally just waste bandwidth playing Mobsters or whatever.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Honestly,i wouldn't find this forum if there weren't mycents.But still i always want to talk on forums and i am registered on many forums.I am here because PHP (but there aren't people here which are asking for help) is my favorite programming language and because i know it.This forum helped me to get domain,and i am working on it and i love it.The idea is perfect,and 100th time,but on other way,with other words i will say: "I love to see creative people"I feel something with this forum,it is not just virtual image.

I don't think soeven with the existing mycent system implemented ; you barely see anyone posting anything at all! I don't quite understand thatbtw darkhacker I just noticed your joined date is on my birthday :)