xisto Community
Ash-Bash

My Suggestions To Trap17 Forums

Hi guys,

I have been a member at these forums for almost a year and have just seen it go down hill since I signed up and started posting.

I have been thinking in my spear time while logged onto Xisto and below are a few idea's/suggestions & Ways you could improve the forum altogether.

New Theme, This theme seems to be old and quite dull. Would make a great change!

New things to keep old members interested!

Less down time, The forum seem to be down alot. Try and keep 'em up!

Better Speed, Its always good to have a Fast forum!

Well there are a few I am sure you guys will approve and disapprove of some of them please feel free to add your own in the replies!

-Ash.

Hi guys,

I have been a member at these forums for almost a year and have just seen it go down hill since I signed up and started posting.

I have been thinking in my spear time while logged onto Xisto and below are a few idea's/suggestions & Ways you could improve the forum altogether.

New Theme, This theme seems to be old and quite dull. Would make a great change!

Less down time, The forum seem to be down alot. Try and keep 'em up!

Better Speed, Its always good to have a Fast forum!

Well there are a few I am sure you guys will approve and disapprove of some of them please feel free to add your own in the replies!

-Ash.

I'm kind of off-and-on the forums so I didn't notice the downtime or slow speed. About the theme, I definitely agree though. Or to make it even better, there could be *multiple* themes (with us being able to choose our own). Doing so would allow each person to feel more comfortable in the forums without making others uncomfortable. This is what I did with my forums and it worked out much better for everyone since nobody had to agree on a theme. Make some dark, some light, different colors, etc.

Do you have any suggestions for a new theme? Remember that everyone has different personal taste, so one thing to bear in mind is choosing a theme that most people will find OK. Also remember that, as far as I know, OpaQue has to do quite a bit of work to get each theme to work correctly with the various modifications he's made to the forum.

Again, any specific suggestions or ideas in mind? To be honest there isn't a lot of 'new' stuff you can do with web hosting :)

Less down time, The forum seem to be down alot. Try and keep 'em up!Better Speed, Its always good to have a Fast forum!

57,000 members and over 400,000 posts makes the database quite large, and therefore slower than on a forum that is much smaller. However, I haven't really noticed any speed issues myself - it may well depend on geographic location or Internet connection, which are much harder to change or fix.

Yeah, I like the new theme suggestion, this forums doesn't look professional, even though it's a web hosting site. But then, most web hosting sites don't look good anyway...There is still the new appearance contest, so anyone that want so join can do it. I won't be in it though, takes too long and I don't have time for it. But I'll be looking out for new entries (I don't think that there are any at the moment) and hopefully this will get more visitors to the site.The actual appearance actually turned me off, just to let you know...

I would just like to see a darker theme.. Reading white pages too long starts to burn your eyes. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way, I'm not sure, but just with almost the entire site being white or near-white, it's hard to stay on for extended periods.

for an unprofessional forum as you call it here, it sure is successful. it's one of the more busier forums on the internet. it also offers pretty much free domains and web hosting services. why don't you use your words more carefully when talking about this place because i am going to start wondering why you're here. this thread was about suggestions for trap. do you have any objective suggestion?

Yeah, I like the new theme suggestion, this forums doesn't look professional, even though it's a web hosting site. But then, most web hosting sites don't look good anyway...
There is still the new appearance contest, so anyone that want so join can do it. I won't be in it though, takes too long and I don't have time for it. But I'll be looking out for new entries (I don't think that there are any at the moment) and hopefully this will get more visitors to the site.

The actual appearance actually turned me off, just to let you know...

for an unprofessional forum as you call it here, it sure is successful. it's one of the more busier forums on the internet. it also offers pretty much free domains and web hosting services. why don't you use your words more carefully when talking about this place because i am going to start wondering why you're here. this thread was about suggestions for trap. do you have any objective suggestion?

Looking unprofessional doesn't necessarily reflect people's view of something. There are plenty of businesses that thrive even though they aren't the best looking or the best thought out, solely because they have unique ideas.

The look isn't what sells this site/service, it's the idea behind it.

What would really be good is something along the lines of what Deviantart.com has where everything seems all integrated as one site. We would have our account management area (hosting) and forums appear as they are/from in the same site. Obviously its going to be a lot of work developing something like this and I don't think anyone has the skills or time. This site works as its purpose and the way it looks should not matter all too much in my opinion. The only practical thing we can do to make it look better is change themes but who decides what looks good and what doesn't? I personally prefer a dark colored site with white text but its my preference.

What would really be good is something along the lines of what Deviantart.com has where everything seems all integrated as one site. We would have our account management area (hosting) and forums appear as they are/from in the same site. Obviously its going to be a lot of work developing something like this and I don't think anyone has the skills or time.

I think it would be impossible to do that. Everyone is now in the same billing system, whether they use Xisto for their hosting or buy it from Xisto - Web Hosting with real cash. To integrate the forums with the account management wouldn't work because there's a very large number of people in the system who have never used the forums, and have no use for them.

it's all relative. what looks good to one, may look bad to another. my point though, which you want to argue for some reason had NOTHING to do with what you just said.

Looking unprofessional doesn't necessarily reflect people's view of something. There are plenty of businesses that thrive even though they aren't the best looking or the best thought out, solely because they have unique ideas.
The look isn't what sells this site/service, it's the idea behind it.

Do you have any suggestions for a new theme? Remember that everyone has different personal taste, so one thing to bear in mind is choosing a theme that most people will find OK. Also remember that, as far as I know, OpaQue has to do quite a bit of work to get each theme to work correctly with the various modifications he's made to the forum.

Yes here is one I seem to like very much... Name: Just like IPB3 Preview:http://skins.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/8418/process/viewshot/size/lgDownload: http://skins.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/8418/

57,000 members and over 400,000 posts makes the database quite large, and therefore slower than on a forum that is much smaller. However, I haven't really noticed any speed issues myself - it may well depend on geographic location or Internet connection, which are much harder to change or fix.

Ok I understand about this Large database problem. But a new theme would be super!

For a skin, I have found a free one called "Black Crystals" from http://www.gpf-design.com/. Very professional an looks nice. As for "new things for old members" how about a double points month or week? MyCENTs would get doubled, and activity would increase. Of course there might be spam issues, but I think it would work out great.

This does look a nice theme I also found a free one Please look above ;) I think the idea about the Double points monthly or weekly would be great I am sure this would keep old members active and intrested in Xisto. - Ash.

I don't see a reason to boost the number of mycents earned. Just by taking part in the community in general you can easily earn your hosting. One post a day is roughly $3 a month. That's $36 a year ($24 for hosting, $10 for a domain are the costs, leaving $2). And that's just from one post a day.Of course bigger packages cost more, but it still shouldn't be an issue.