xisto Community
TheDisturbedOne

Are Torrent Files Allowed?

I'd say all torrent files are technically legal, even if its for an illegal file, it just the action of using it. It a suggested illegality, idk how to put it.
But yeah contact support just to double check.

Torrent files are all legal yes, Cause torrent engines such as Utorrent and Bitcomet are all freeware. The person uploading the file should be the one who gets the penalties. :)

Really, as many torrent file sites have found out through lawsuits, even torrents pointing to illegal things are still *legal*.Just like if someone comes up to you on the street and asks you where they can buy drugs. You giving them the information of someone does not constitute an illegal act. The person *selling* them is the one breaking the law.The same goes with torrents. Saying "John over here on IP 148.171.39.17 has the file you're wanting. I won't help you obtain it but now that you have his information you can just go ask him for it! You're on your own from here!"That's pretty much how the torrents work. They are solely messengers, and nothing else.

ummm...i disagree 100% with your comment. ever heard of conspiracy to commit a crime or aiding and abetting? maybe not. but let me enlighten you on something. you can get arrested for pretty much anything in this country. it's the judge hat ultimately says guilty or innocent after the facts are presented. i say better safe than sorry and no reason to risk anything on ignorance. if you aren't an attoney or never studied law, it's best to keep your trap shut on giving legal advice because that IS against the law. now in your senario, all three people are breaking the law. the obvious is the buyer and seller. the not so obvious is the one who(before he answers the question) knows that someone is going to be breaking the law soon and helps that person with information to break a law.

torrents get tricky in the legal sense because the issue arises of storage of files and what is legal or not. it's also hard to prove intent when downloading any file unless the file is advertized as an illegal copy. in order for a crime to occur, there has to be intent. if there was no intent to commit a crime, no crime has been commited. this is why the crazies get off and go to the hospital instead of jail. ignorance is no excuse though....but intent still has to be proven. most states have adopted this rule of thumb.

but even if this crap is determined illegal, it's not going to stop people. you used a drug scenario. so will i. arrest one drug dealer on his corner and send him away for 3 years. what happens the week after is someone else is there on that same corner taking that guys place. a better example that directly relates to this thread is napster....which was peer to peer. a lot of piracy was going on. people stealing or taking someting that wasn't theirs to take. napster got sued and a new precident in the computer world was created in a court of law. i suggest you read up on the law and also the past court cases that relate to this thread before you start posting stuff like you did. you'll get people in trouble that way and i am sure you don't want to cause confusion.

Really, as many torrent file sites have found out through lawsuits, even torrents pointing to illegal things are still *legal*.
Just like if someone comes up to you on the street and asks you where they can buy drugs. You giving them the information of someone does not constitute an illegal act. The person *selling* them is the one breaking the law.

The same goes with torrents. Saying "John over here on IP 148.171.39.17 has the file you're wanting. I won't help you obtain it but now that you have his information you can just go ask him for it! You're on your own from here!"

That's pretty much how the torrents work. They are solely messengers, and nothing else.

What i would do is i would upload the torrent files to a torrent website ( and only torrents containing legal files ) and then post the links to them on your forum.Also make sure that you mention with the post of each torrent that you are the creator of / have permission to use the torrent.And that way if you get asked to remove the torrents, the person telling you to do so will see that you took the few extra steps to ensure that everything you're doing is legal and ethical.

The only thing with that is The Pirate Bay can sue you for $5,000 if you do that, as it is commercial use of their tracker.I have found a better way anyway, I'm just uploading the files to sendspace.com, as the files are small in size and completely legal.

Well TheDisturbedOne, this is peculiar ocassion but I will make my comment about this. All the torrents are not illegal, this is true. But the illegal torrents are more than the legal. How will you prove that your torrents files are legal?...Don?t understand bad everybody included me love torrent and if Xisto - Web Hosting politics aren?t agaisnt the Warez for example, I am sure that in this moments my website maybe offers Warez.Althougth Torrent is not Warez they are used for the same purposes the most part of the time: Distribuite illegal copies without the copyrigths and that means a serious problem to the artist, software developers, and all the industries were the illegal copying is damaging their profits.The most intelligent form to know if Torrent is allowed on Xisto - Web Hosting is sending a support ticket to them and asking if the torrent linking is allowed. I am sure that they will allow you using the Torrent because if they don?t allow it maybe this point have to be wrote in the TOS.But I recommend you that if they aprove you to use Torrent in your website, don?t upload links that contains illegal files or you will lose your account here.I wish you good luck and I 100% that they will allow you to use Torrent files.Regards.

Illegal torrents only outnumber legal torrents on some trackers. I can name over 20 trackers that have thousands of legal torrents. And as I said before I found a way to do it without torrents, also saves me from leaving the computer on seeding 24-7.All these torrents that I was going to put up are copyrighted to the artist of the band (NOT the record company). These are almost always allowed to be given for free (with a few exceptions such as The Allman Brothers, and some Metallica), since sometimes these are sold at a profit to the recorder, which is ripping off the artist.

May I add torrents on my website?Are Torrent Files Allowed?

Can I add torrents that are legal to download( just the torrent file), but illegal to download when using utorrent or any other p2p... 

For example I have a video sharing website, can I offer movies/episodes in torrent format( just for download)?

-reply by Benjamin Vogt

Ok torrents are not illegal no matter what anyone says. even if their linking to something illegal, the torrent itself isn't illegal. the files it tracks are. and even those aren't illegal unless you download them I am actually shocked that xisto doesn't allow torrents? because when you use xisto your using a paid host weather or not your using myCENTs or real money because myCENTs are real money anyway and with paid hosts they normally allow you to host any content you like even if they are illegal because it would say in the TOS that the host is not responsible for the content of their clientsplus a torrent file is only around 60KB to 200KB in size because its basically just a text file with a .torrent extension well if you really need to use torrents just post up the hash number for your users to paste to utorrent.

Ok torrents are not illegal no matter what anyone says.even if their linking to something illegal, the torrent itself isn't illegal. the files it tracks are. and even those aren't illegal unless you download them

If any zip file contains illegal software inside then isn;t that zip illegal. Same way torrent file linking to any software which is shared illegally makes that torrent illegal. Reason xisto don't allow torrents is natural as all major and top hosts don't allow that. Softlayer,simplenet,The planet and many other datacenter doesn't allow any illegal things like that with reseller packages. Even FFMPEG server hosts will ask you to remove if you're hosting any movie on those stream based hosting server using software like phpmotion/vshare etc.

For torrents you can either use your own VPS/Dedicated server so that legal hassles are totally your concern. Or you can host them with warez hosts or adult hosting sites.

I think the thing here was me hosting the TRACKER on Xisto. The tracker would use a ton of RAM. As for torrents themselves, it is possible for you to hide them in other files. For example I know somebody online who hides torrent files in pictures. You download the picture and change the extension to .torrent, and you have a perfectly working torrent.

Oh if you was using the tracker then all you have to do is:make a torrent file with utorrentupload the .torrent to your server and post itSEEDwalaa. your computer is the tracker and when ppl download off you. if they keep seeding then their seeded :) the only drawback is that they won't see the status of the torrent before they download it.

i am sure you will getting all kind of nos and donts, as its true you cant get the torrent files in here as generally torrent files are considered to be illegal and i am sure the t17 community dont want any kind of trouble as its a big company and any kind of illegal will spread like fire on the web if this is screwed up. and also dont forget to read the rules and all in the forum its pinned in every subforum and i think the author is the other admin "BuffaloHelp' if the spelling is wrong then i am sorry admin but i guess you can get the most rules in there and i any doubt in a ny then ask via a ticket or just from the t17 answers you will get damn fast reply as its monitored alomst every two to 5 hours and also the support system of t17 is fantastic and if you submit a ticket most probably you will get it in two to 3 hours and at max a day