xisto Community
TheDisturbedOne

Are Torrent Files Allowed?

I read the Xisto Forum Rules and Xisto Readme, and it says nothing there specifically about torrents, but it did say no MP3s. I plan to launch a section of my site that has torrents on it of live Disturbed shows. All torrents will be personally checked by me, that they don't include any official releases that are copyrighted. Will it be ok for me to have torrent files of live shows that aren't copyrighted (that are in mp3, mp4, mpg, mkv or avi format)? An example would be a person going to a concert and bringing a recording device and recording the concert. The legality of bringing the recording device could be questioned, but the actual recordings aren't illegal, unless the person who made it copyrighted it.Kornspace.com is another site that does this, as another example.If this is not allowed, will it be ok if I were to link myself to the torrents remotely hosted on a site such as The Pirate Bay?Thanks

torrents do not count as wares. Torrents are just a form of transferring files. the stuff being transferred may be warez, but people often times get the wrong image about torrenting, they always things torrenting = illegal, where there are many legal things to torrent, it provides much much faster download speeds a lot of the times.

Any files can be illegal, ^^, he is just upload the torrent, none of the file data is actually stored on the server, it is all on peoples computers, a torrent does not get files from servers, it gets it from other peoples computers. There are many legal torrents, such as Ubunut, and it is completely legal, people just get the wrong image about torrents. I don't think you should have any problem, but a mod, or Velma should clarify this.

Often I wonder if people know how to read these days.*I am using torrents for legal means only*Torrents are NOT warez.*Torrent files contain no files, but instead a perfectly legal hash code.The only reason why I am using torrents for this means is because I have some live shows in HD/High Quality, and the file size is well over 2GB, which would be a pain to keep uploading to Rapidshare.Please, if you don't know what you are talking about, or haven't read my original post, don't reply. Thanks :)

lol.. This thread is funny.. Let's go into what a torrent is:A torrent is nothing but a file that says "xxx has xxx file." Think of it as a phonebook.The file the torrent relates to CAN or can NOT be illegal, depending on the file.For those *morons* (I apologize for being so harsh) who think all torrents are illegal, I suggest you don't ever become a lawyer because if you do you'll be suing every Linux distro provider, every patch provider, and most MMORPG companies.To break it down for you, Aion/Age of Conan/Warhammer all used torrents for their betas and for most client downloads now.Ubuntu uses torrents (faster than HTTP) for their distro downloads.There are literally millions of LEGAL torrents. Assuming every torrent is illegal is like assuming everyone with an IPhone downloads illegal songs onto it. Just because it CAN be used for such a purpose doesn't mean it IS.

Amen.Torrents are not only faster than HTTP, but uses less bandwidth. And with the mentality that some were expressing here, if I were to make a backup to my hard drive into a torrent file, seed the torrent, and access it on another computer that has more hard drive space, it would be illegal. To tell you the truth, I may just do that now, to free up some space and save some time :)

Having read through the Terms of Service and Acceptable Usage Policy for both Xisto and Xisto - Web Hosting, there is nothing that explicitly forbids torrent files on your hosting as long as they point to legal material. However, I would still recommend contacting Support to check, and basically let them know that the torrent files are pointing to legal material - they should be happy you're using them as it saves them bandwidth.

Tramposch is right, torrent files aren't illegal. But the it depends on the content in the torrent file location, or the host location. If you were hosting freeware through the torrent it is totally legal, but if you hositng warez through the torrent file, you'll be looking at a ban from the forum. Allthough to be on the safe side, don't put torrent files in any thread as it is a risk.

I agree, as long as the files are legal and will not affect the reputation of Xisto - Web Hosting, I.E. they don't want to get any takedown notices etc, then I doubt they will have a problem with you hosting files as torrents, as long as it does not cause a ridiculous bandwidth usage as Rob said, if you have the unlimited bandwidth option then watch out. I don't know if torrents would use a lot of bandwidth, I assume you will be the tracker but there usually quite a small file size.

Thanks for the answer, rvalkass. I will contact support sometime this week. I also have to look into the tracker addon, to make sure it doesn't use up CPU usage and BW like crazy.

And glad to know some people here know that torrents can be perfectly legal!

I'll post with the results when I get them.

I'd say all torrent files are technically legal, even if its for an illegal file, it just the action of using it. It a suggested illegality, idk how to put it.But yeah contact support just to double check.

disturbed- torrent files are not illegal nor would they be banned by Xisto - Web Hosting unless links are pointing towards something that IS illegal.saying that torrents are illegal is like saying our roads are illegal just because some people commit crimes on the road. it will never make the road illegal though.i do agree that when in doubt, ask admin, but i think you are wasting your time since i think i already know what the answer would be if they are at all knowledgable about torrents