xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Bandwith Stupid question I know

Stupid question and I kinda know the answer here but other's may not so I thought I would ask.Bandwith, just what is it and how is it juged on a site?

Bandwidth, on any computer function, is the measure of data flow from point A to point B. Normally, it's a term used only for websites and hosting, but it has a use in basic computing functions like hard drives and processors. The standard use on websites is a measurement of traffic to server capacity, and is often limited depending on the type of hosting you purchased.As a rule of thumb, bandwidth is taken more quickly when your website offers downloads, or has huge pictures saved in filetypes that aren't exactly economical (.bmp is a prime example). The best way to defend your bandwidth is to disallow hotlinking of images from your site, and perhaps put a limit on downloads per month.

Watching videos,listening to mp3's,viewing too many images.all online,will all eat up your bandwidth.Using Torrent download programs will kill it even more. I'm concernedabout this because I have a bandwidth limit and pay heavilyif I go over it.It doesn't take much really.

As you can see there are 2 different definitions (that are actually kind of the same).It can be your computer's bandwidth, as in you are listening to streaming radio, watching youtube, and downloading a 10 GB file: your bandwitdh is low. Or it could refer to what Forte said, with the content on your webpage. I wouldn't worry that much about how much you are using, as 10GB is hard to eat up in a month for small sites (I will likely only go through 1GB, and I have tons of pictures), but if you are using a lot, then you could probably afford paid hosting (but Xisto is just as good *waves fist*).

Yeah, my site is relatively popular, and I only go through almost 2gb bandwidth a month. I have tons of wallpapers, Mp3s, and various other things. It's kind of hard to generate so much you run out, but I've seen some sites do it (especially ones with tons and tons of images that people really rely on, especially in the spriting community. [People need to learn to save the images]).I would, however, like for someone to explain bandwidth in the sense outside of websites. I've never really understood it when people refer to processor bandwidth and the like.

some sites use more bandwidth than others. you dont want to have too many pages open when surfing otherwise it will become sreally slow as each page will want a sizeable chunk of badwidth!

To add on to his question...How is bandwidth made anyways? Like for example, why is it more for 100 GB's of data to be sent then 10 GB's? Obviously their servers would still be on for the same amount of time, so it's not an electricity issue or anything.I've been wondering this for quite a while now. Just how exactly bandwidth starts out, how it is actually used, etc.I have the same curiosities about the cell phones and stuff. For example, one call or two calls doesn't cost the carrier any extra money. So why do they charge you for the extra time?

Hmm well it depends bandwidth is first the amount of data flowing between point A and B like Forte mentioned, like hosting because it sayz on trap u get 10g Bandwidth And second bandwidth,in electronics, like the name suggest is the width of the band. :P

1) In computer networks, bandwidth is often used as a synonym for data transfer rate - the amount of data that can be carried from one point to another in a given time period (usually a second). This kind of bandwidth is usually expressed in bits (of data) per second (bps). Occasionally, it's expressed as bytes per second (Bps). A modem that works at 57,600 bps hastwice the bandwidth of a modem that works at 28,800 bps. In general, a link with a high bandwidth is one that may be able to carry enough information to sustain the succession of images in a video presentation.
It should be remembered that a real communications path usually consists of a succession of links, each with its own bandwidth. If one of these is much slower than the rest, it is said to be a bandwidth bottleneck.

2) In electronic communication, bandwidth is the width of the range (or band) of frequencies that an electronic signal uses on a given transmission medium. In this usage, bandwidth is expressed in terms of the difference between the highest-frequency signal component and the lowest-frequency signal component. Since the frequency of a signal is measured in hertz (the number of cycles of change per second), a given bandwidth is the difference in hertz between the highest frequency the signal uses and the lowest frequency it uses. A typical voice signal has a bandwidth of approximately three kilohertz (3 kHz); an analog television (TV) broadcast video signal has a bandwidth of six megahertz (6 MHz) -- some 2,000 times as wide as the voice signal.

And now for rpgsearcherz yes a phone call or two does not cost the carrier any extra money but u use his bandwidth his network and for this u have to pay, cause they don't just give it to you. They do this because it makes profit of course but also very important to regulate phone calls and traffic. Because their network could not support all they customers talking at once, you can observe these problems around holidays when ppl don't care about the cost and just call they rellatives and stuff and the network fails, because their antennas have a maximum width of band, and if it runs out other callers can not make a call.
Also if u want to really call someone just get in your car and get closer to other antenna in your city and maybe that one will have some room for your call.

So what you mean by that is the more or less the whole bandwidth issue isn't about how much it costs for them to use a difference between 10 MB's and 1 GB, but rather to keep everyone from keeping their bandwidth maxed out and slowing the server 24/7?

Bandwidth can mean to things:a) The speed of your internet service:P the amount of data allowed to transfer between a server and a computers user

To be very simple bandwidth is the amount of data you download or upload while opening a website on your web-browser.Upload data---Like when you write the address of site in the address bar and hit enter some communication is setup b/w you and the server and commands interchange. This usually consumes a very less data in kb;sDownload data---After the communication of server and your computer you get the website content start to download at your computer this is quite a large amount of data.Thus to sum up you can say Bandwidth == Upload data + Download dataHope i helped youregards,ragav.bpl