xisto Community
Spyda

Making Mycent Transferable

Okay, so you know how the old credit system allowed for credits to be transferable from one member to another? I was wondering if they same would be done for Mycent. I think that would be a great addition as it would make for meaningful transactions. Think about it, if you needed someone to install, let's say a script for you, you could offer then .50 cents or so to do this. Or, if you needed someone to make you a website, you could offer them a larger amount like 5-10 dollars, or so. I know this was offerable in the old system, but since now you are handling with "real money", it would make for bigger transactions.

As far as I know, (and I can't find the link right now), Opaque has declined the ability to "transfer" MyCents or XistoDollars. At least for the time being.Things change over time and the possibility exists to add that feature in the future. Not any time soon, as far as I know.

this could become bad. this could mean that people would just buy myCents of other members and would encourage members to make spam posts to get myCents to sell to other members. and besides in this community we like doing things for free for each other. making myCents transferable would turn everything into: i'll do this if you give me myCents and this could make everything anoying on Xisto. and if you really need myCents you can buy some of Xisto i think. some members could set up brand new accounts, make bull posts and get some myCents and then trade it off before their account could be banned.

this could become bad. this could mean that people would just buy myCents of other members and would encourage members to make spam posts to get myCents to sell to other members. and besides in this community we like doing things for free for each other. making myCents transferable would turn everything into: i'll do this if you give me myCents and this could make everything anoying on Xisto. and if you really need myCents you can buy some of Xisto i think. some members could set up brand new accounts, make bull posts and get some myCents and then trade it off before their account could be banned.

But didn't Xisto already do this with their old credit system. I mean it wouldn't be much different. And before nobody really bought credits off each other, as they could always just buy them off Xisto.

And how would you buy Mycents off each other? I mean if 100 mycents equals 1 dollars, then why would you buy it off somebody else when you can just deposit some money off into your account using paypal or a credit card?

One big difference between the "old" Credit system and the new "XistoDollars" with respect to the Transferring of Credits is that under the old system, you needed to be Hosted status and the recipient also needed to be Hosted Status, too, in order to transfer the Credits. there is no such distinction under the Credit System 3.0. hosting is paid in advance, so to speak, and does not require any "credits" on a daily basis, either.

The thing is they have to set up their myCent account and what not online first before they would even be able to transfer them at least I would think they should and then they could transfer. That way any transfers can be tracked and if this person is banned then one could just go back to look at their records and remove the myCents transferred and punish the members involved accordingly.

As for the actual question as to whether it'll be transferable in the future Opaque had said that it is not allowed at this time but I don't think he mentioned his plans on the future. I am sure it will take a lot of work to make this possible to make sure there are no loopholes.

what do you think has been happening ever since trap started offering free hosting? maybe not spam posts, but 1 liners or irrelevant posts just to get the credits so there hosting account can stay active. why there has always been a need to veryfy your posting habits before you ever do get hosted. why there is a need for so many moderators. what you are talking about is happening now but you probably don't see it all too often because the moderators are doing their jobs :) you have people on here that don't care about Xisto at all and just care about their free hosting. why i have always said. if people don't like the community that was built here, then they are just going to have a tougher time being hosted because it will be more like a job to post rather than an enjoyment.

as far as transfering mycents, i am 100% against it. there is only 99.99 mycents before it's converted and you go back to 0. so mycents will always be worth less than a dollar. more bad than good can come about any transfer options. although mycents isn't money, it's more like money now than the credit system we had before. so i am against it....even for the yearly trap awards

would encourage members to make spam posts

Oh, I don't really see it as becoming bad, I kind of wish they would implement a transfer system. It was really fun for the contests to have cool prizes and all the activity we had for the "Trapper of the Year" contest, that generated a lot of funny and interesting posts and gave some incentive to participate.

And then there are those times when you just need a little help. Sometimes life gets rather complicated and you just can't post as often as you would like too, with the transfer system you could get a little help from your friends during any hard times that pop up. It's easy to let other things get in the way of posting. And there are computer crashes, and other things that could take you out of the picture maybe long enough to loose your web site, which in my case would be terribly detrimental since that is how I make my living.

And then there are those times when you just need a little help. Sometimes life gets rather complicated and you just can't post as often as you would like too, with the transfer system you could get a little help from your friends during any hard times that pop up. It's easy to let other things get in the way of posting. And there are computer crashes, and other things that could take you out of the picture maybe long enough to loose your web site, which in my case would be terribly detrimental since that is how I make my living.

This shouldn't be a problem now. As your hosting is effectively paid for in advance (you pay for one month, even a year in advance), you are certain your hosting will be there for that time. If you do have a problem, which prevents you posting, you now have longer to recover. Under the old system, as credits were reduced day-by-day, your website could suddenly go offline if you had a problem. Now, you at least have a date when your next payment is due, and therefore more time to earn the myCENTs required. If things get really bad, you can always use PayPal or a credit card to top your account up (although this option is not available to everyone, me included...).

I wanted myCENTs to be transferable, but there are several issues that coudld go wrong. Also, look at the economy. Xisto has mostly un-paid members, and yet it's giving its top quality hosting on the net.Some problems would be:- People making new accounts to spam and get lots of myCENTS. Before they can get banned, they would transfer all those myCENTS to their normal account. There would be no actual real way to find out which member did it, since they would be using a different e-mail account. They could be using a public computer, so I.P. banning would be useless.- Xisto would have more debit than credit. If many members start transfering their myCENTS, that means more posts are being made, which takes away Xisto's space and cause them to buy more. More posts being made also means that more moderators are needed. Which also means the server would get overloaded with members and posts which causes lag which causes them to get a better server. There are only a few members that are actually paying for their hosting, and im not one of them.Solution to first problem: NoneSolution to second problem: Maybe they could charge for transfering myCENTS to another account. Maybe for every $1 in myCENTS you transfer, you have to pay $5 in myCENTS. Another solution would be to restrict transfering myCENTS to new users, and offer transfers for users that registered for maybe 1 year or more.

I wanted myCENTs to be transferable, but there are several issues that coudld go wrong. Also, look at the economy. Xisto has mostly un-paid members, and yet it's giving its top quality hosting on the net.
Some problems would be:

- People making new accounts to spam and get lots of myCENTS. Before they can get banned, they would transfer all those myCENTS to their normal account. There would be no actual real way to find out which member did it, since they would be using a different e-mail account. They could be using a public computer, so I.P. banning would be useless.

- Xisto would have more debit than credit. If many members start transfering their myCENTS, that means more posts are being made, which takes away Xisto's space and cause them to buy more. More posts being made also means that more moderators are needed. Which also means the server would get overloaded with members and posts which causes lag which causes them to get a better server. There are only a few members that are actually paying for their hosting, and im not one of them.

If someone builds up all of their credits and transfers them over, using a public IP or not, by banning both of the members all of the myCents are deleted as well as their hosting account so even if they do change IP's they would have to start all over. There has to be a history of IP's and member names that transferred myCents.

As for too much posting, the whole point of this forum is to have as many members as possible posting. The more posts and members there are, the more both the users and Xisto benefits. I do not think Xisto is going to have any problems with space seeing as there is almost 50,000 members already. The goal for them is to attract many people to their hosting services and that at some point they will transfer to just paying separately and using myCents as an aid or a discount if you will. Xisto I think has plenty of room for expansion which was probably taken into consideration when creating the myCent system.

if someone needs help with less than a dollar in mycents, then they are seriously hurting in life and probably by their own choices. i don't think asking for a measley 99.99 MAX in mycents would ever get them out of the postition they are.before, you lost a credit a day. now, you don't lose ANYTHING so there is less need for a system that would transfer creditsinstead of being happy that your credits aren't lost anymore, we got people who still want to impliment a system to give to their own selves. sorry. i have a problem with that because 1 dollar ain't gonna do anything for anyone's livelihood and keeping their hosting active

No, I don't support the idea of transferring myCents too, I just don't see reason why. I agree when you say that now posts aren't deducted daily but on a monthly basis so you have more time to make more quality posts and even leave for a while (like I did) and still have your hosting too!

Definitively not a good idea.

But didn't Xisto already do this with their old credit system. I mean it wouldn't be much different. And before nobody really bought credits off each other, as they could always just buy them off Xisto.
And how would you buy Mycents off each other? I mean if 100 mycents equals 1 dollars, then why would you buy it off somebody else when you can just deposit some money off into your account using paypal or a credit card?

i joined on the 10th of October 2008 so i haven't really known the credit system much. and also you had to have an approved hosted account to be able to transfer and recieve credits. now anyone really can transfer and recieve mycents. i see your point though.

Okay, so you know how the old credit system allowed for credits to be transferable from one member to another? I was wondering if they same would be done for Mycent. I think that would be a great addition as it would make for meaningful transactions. Think about it, if you needed someone to install, let's say a script for you, you could offer then .50 cents or so to do this. Or, if you needed someone to make you a website, you could offer them a larger amount like 5-10 dollars, or so. I know this was offerable in the old system, but since now you are handling with "real money", it would make for bigger transactions.

Well like it was mentioned in some of the posts spread out across the forums about this, the MyCent transfer isn't going to be running at this time, but of course I can tell you this though I highly doubt it will happen for awhile because its connections to the Xisto - Web Hosting packages, Xisto - Web Hosting is actually losing a lot profit from this. So if there was transfer system added then xisto could lose even more profits and so that is major factor why we won't see a transfer system any time soon.

As far as I know, (and I can't find the link right now), Opaque has declined the ability to "transfer" MyCents or XistoDollars. At least for the time being.Things change over time and the possibility exists to add that feature in the future. Not any time soon, as far as I know.

Pretty much it is a wait and see if the transfer system happens, but my above comments do make mention that it will be awhile before that happens.

Well just like the transferring hosting credits on the old system you had to give a very good reason why someone needed to transfer some hosting credits. Since more members only posted for a couple of weeks worth and then are gone during that time and then come back and do it again and since MyCent's has that long delay it could cause problems, especially for those who are doing monthly payment who can almost cover those payments.

Xisto did but because of new this system is OpaQue has to make sure it is stable enough to remove the old system from the forums and then go from there. Even then if you look at some of the comments about transferring that trying to earn MyCents is a bit more difficult then earning hosting credits and so if a transfer system is set up expect a heavy tax on what could be transferred.

One big difference between the "old" Credit system and the new "XistoDollars" with respect to the Transferring of Credits is that under the old system, you needed to be Hosted status and the recipient also needed to be Hosted Status, too, in order to transfer the Credits. there is no such distinction under the Credit System 3.0. hosting is paid in advance, so to speak, and does not require any "credits" on a daily basis, either.

Another big factor right there and so someone could make a couple of posts and then ask a friend to transfer the rest and could get hosting without much of an effort and then Xisto would lose even more profit and the friend could lose their hosting account if they can't cover their payments.

The thing is they have to set up their myCent account and what not online first before they would even be able to transfer them at least I would think they should and then they could transfer. That way any transfers can be tracked and if this person is banned then one could just go back to look at their records and remove the myCents transferred and punish the members involved accordingly.
As for the actual question as to whether it'll be transferable in the future Opaque had said that it is not allowed at this time but I don't think he mentioned his plans on the future. I am sure it will take a lot of work to make this possible to make sure there are no loopholes.

Well that is the first step in order to transfer MyCents is that everyone would have to have registered and what not, but I would think another step would that a person has to be hosted and so the script would have to have something to identify if those two members are hosted in order to transfer and the third step would have to be how much should MyCent should be taxed in order to cover the losses that are already made.

what do you think has been happening ever since trap started offering free hosting? maybe not spam posts, but 1 liners or irrelevant posts just to get the credits so there hosting account can stay active. why there has always been a need to veryfy your posting habits before you ever do get hosted. why there is a need for so many moderators. what you are talking about is happening now but you probably don't see it all too often because the moderators are doing their jobs :) you have people on here that don't care about Xisto at all and just care about their free hosting. why i have always said. if people don't like the community that was built here, then they are just going to have a tougher time being hosted because it will be more like a job to post rather than an enjoyment.
as far as transfering mycents, i am 100% against it. there is only 99.99 mycents before it's converted and you go back to 0. so mycents will always be worth less than a dollar. more bad than good can come about any transfer options. although mycents isn't money, it's more like money now than the credit system we had before. so i am against it....even for the yearly trap awards

Well you make a strong argument about that and I can verify that because of my longivity here that if it wasn't for the moderators then Xisto would be a spam filled, copy and pasted filled forum with no credibility. However, if you think about it getting hosting is a bit more difficult because of the delays the payment options and of course the fact a member couple lose just more then MyCents but could lose their hosting just like that and so people have to be up on their game if they want to get hosted here since second chances will be a bit rare now.

Oh, I don't really see it as becoming bad, I kind of wish they would implement a transfer system. It was really fun for the contests to have cool prizes and all the activity we had for the "Trapper of the Year" contest, that generated a lot of funny and interesting posts and gave some incentive to participate.

Well we all remember that I had to pull tooth and nail to get members to donate a few hosting credits to be used in the credit pool and that was knowing the fact they might not win and stuff like that. With MyCents it is a even rarely commodity since it takes a bigger effort to earn that dollar and so if your one of those hosted members who is paying $10 for hosting on a monthly payment, then you have to post a lot to make sure you get it on time and what not. So donating a dollar is going to be a bit difficult since everyone will be holding on to their MyEarnings like grim death.

This shouldn't be a problem now. As your hosting is effectively paid for in advance (you pay for one month, even a year in advance), you are certain your hosting will be there for that time. If you do have a problem, which prevents you posting, you now have longer to recover. Under the old system, as credits were reduced day-by-day, your website could suddenly go offline if you had a problem. Now, you at least have a date when your next payment is due, and therefore more time to earn the myCENTs required. If things get really bad, you can always use PayPal or a credit card to top your account up (although this option is not available to everyone, me included...).

That is true and since you can use myCents to help cover costs if you have a Xisto - Web Hosting account you could add money either direction and so payments options are there so just in case you don't have one or the other you can use another option to pay for your hosting.

I wanted myCENTs to be transferable, but there are several issues that coudld go wrong. Also, look at the economy. Xisto has mostly un-paid members, and yet it's giving its top quality hosting on the net.
Some problems would be:

- People making new accounts to spam and get lots of myCENTS. Before they can get banned, they would transfer all those myCENTS to their normal account. There would be no actual real way to find out which member did it, since they would be using a different e-mail account. They could be using a public computer, so I.P. banning would be useless.

- Xisto would have more debit than credit. If many members start transfering their myCENTS, that means more posts are being made, which takes away Xisto's space and cause them to buy more. More posts being made also means that more moderators are needed. Which also means the server would get overloaded with members and posts which causes lag which causes them to get a better server. There are only a few members that are actually paying for their hosting, and im not one of them.
Solution to first problem: None
Solution to second problem: Maybe they could charge for transfering myCENTS to another account. Maybe for every $1 in myCENTS you transfer, you have to pay $5 in myCENTS. Another solution would be to restrict transfering myCENTS to new users, and offer transfers for users that registered for maybe 1 year or more.

Oh they can be tracked regaurdless of what IP number there are using and most of the time people will be under the same IP address when creating new accounts because most proxy sites disable javascript in some fashion and it is also difficult to stay logged in on a proxy site as well as you usually get logged out right away.

As for the second problem I believe Xisto has enough hosting space to accommodate a thousand or so hosting accounts with any problems and so space isn't really a issue on Xisto as much as much as losing profit from this.