xisto Community
disneyreporter

Best Way To Transfer Files I just bought a laptop

For only file transfer (without the settings), a external/portable hard disk is recommended. They are relatively cheap. As you are only dealling with 15GB, a few rounds of 4GB or 8GB USB would be ok. You may also want to compress your files as well, but it is time consuming if you already have removable storage device. I would recommend a portable HDD or some USB.

Hi there guys,
I just bought a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop for $729.99. It has a processing speed of 2.0ghz, 3GB RAM, and a 250gb hard drive. I'm really satisfied, especially with the wireless internet and the fact that I can carry my computer around with me, allowing you to use your computer in comfortable spots -- outside in the shade, on the train, or even in your bed where I'm using it write now as I type. If you didn't already guess, this is my first laptop. But I do have some issues. Does anyone happen to know an easy way to transfer some of my files from my old desktop computer to my new laptop? Some files are easy enough to transfer with a USB flashdrive, like my website files and some family pictures, but transfering all of my music songs on a USB flashdrive is not feasible. It takes up way too much space to fit. A quick solution would be the best, as I cannot use my iPod on my new laptop yet without first transfering all of the songs because then all of the songs will be taken off my iPod because they are not on the new laptop. Any ideas, solutions, and just general comments are welcome and highly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve my problem.

Eric

Buy a cheap external hard-drive normally u would get, 120gb for about $100AUD, [http://www.xe.com/?r=1, to convert]
This is the best way to transfer.. :D

I cannot use my iPod

Not true. as long as its in disk mode, open it up and there should be a .ipod control folder, a hidden one, so you would need to turn off hiding hidden files and folders.

Try that out it worked with my shuffle

TRANSFER FILES AND PROGRAMMES ONTO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVEBest Way To Transfer Files

I am sure there is someone out there with the knowledge and know how so here goes.  I have just purchased a new laptop and a 640gb external hard drive.  I want to download my files and programmes from my old laptop which runs on XP onto the external hard dri ve and then I want to transfer all the files and programmes onto my new laptop which runs on Vista.  I need an idiots guide on how to do this, I have tried but am getting nowhere.  Please help me asap.

Any advice woud really be appreciated.

-reply by Patricia

I have found that the best way to transfer large files from desktop to laptop is by either taking out the harddrive from the desktop and creating it into an external harddrive for the laptop. By doing this i can copy and paste the files easily and it moves relatively fast. I have been doing this becasue i also have been having the same problems with creating networks and i still dont understand how to make one that actually works. Another way is by creating ur own harddrive enclosure (my friends dad made it for me). Although hardrive enclosure cost some money it is worth it becasue when you r friend is acking you to end him/her some files, lend him you hardrive and save your self a lot of stress instead of copying and pasting on a 1gb flash drive 15 times.

Here are some links that review the harddrive enclosure:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2027309_hard-drive-old-disused-pc.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-an-External-Hard-Drive

Be sure that you understand how to connect and disconnect you harddrive from you desktop
Don't go pulling all sorts of wires out of the motherboard!
Only take out the wire that is connected to the harddrive
note: harddrives come in different sized and type so be sure to get the right harddrive enclosure
or you may get a harddrive enclosure that is to small or two large for your own

Do Not format your harddrive as the link that i gave you stated
you want to tranfer file not creating a blank drive
formatting will delete everything off of your harddrive

I want to move files movies about 800 gig from my harddrive to media hard drive what is thefastest way?Best Way To Transfer Files

Hi guys I have a lot of movies I want to move from one harddrive to another and I want to do it a few times.

Could someone tell me is their a fast way to do this.At the moment I am doing it by usb and it takes foever.

It would be great if someone could help.

Thanks Regards 

Howard.

You can transfer them via external HD, Burn files to CD or DVD, Transfer via hub, router, etc on LANPlenty of options :P

The simplest way you can set this up is to run NetMeeting on both computers and send the files across from one computer to another. Enter the IP address of the other computer to connect. As this occurs over the LAN, this is quite fast. If you're familiar with sharing folders in Windows, that'd definitely be a better option. Or you can setup an FTP server (FileZilla, included with XAMPP) to copy the files across via FTP.BTW, 15GB doesn't sound like much - you can use a 16GB flash drive to copy them all across. Portable hard drives can store upto 500GB. Or, better yet, plain ol' external USB hard drives can store up to 2TB (2,000GB).Regards,Nitin

Networking Xp and VistaBest Way To Transfer Files

To network xp and vista make sure you have service pack 3 on the xp computer and change the workgroup to the same as the vista pc and then you should be able to see the xp computer on your laptop. All you have to do from there is share the music folder with the rest of the network and you can just copy the files over. 

The reason for the upgrade to sp3 is that vista uses a different way of communicating with other pcs that is not integrated in xp until you upgrade to sp3. Good Luck

-reply by Mike George

new Dell Inspiron laptop for $729.99.

next time consider getting value, reliability, and performance for your money:

https://www.falcon-nw.com/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

3GB RAM

so you're limited to running a 32bit OS that can address enough ram to function fully... vista/win7 is out of the question then

satisfied, especially with the wireless internet

you must not have many wireless neighbors.. or you're really close to the AP

and the fact that I can carry my computer around with me

:)

easy way to transfer some of my files from my old desktop computer to my new laptop?

Easy or faster?

easy: large flash usb drive from OCZ or Corsair

less easily: mount the old desktop drive to the laptop via eSata or firewire (with purchase of additional hardware)

Firewire400 is faster than USB2

eSata is faster than both

faster: mount both drives in the desktop as NON-boot drives and copy at will

faster and easy: share files on gigabit LAN

Edited by Time Warner Cable SUCKS (see edit history)

What you will need to do, is set up a "Hub" point. By this I mean, Take a useless desktop (that still works) it doesnt have to be wireless! Hook that directly into your Modem/ Router. Now anything you hook up to thiscomputer can become a network. For instance, I can control my printer wirelessly from this hub, Anything that isnt wireless can be made into wireless.</p><p> After you will want to go to your network settings, open to find everything that is connected to that computer. You can tranfer or anything. Another easy way is to "hub" your Xbox, Not sync it do not misunderstand my words. Then transfer everything off! I know this is a little vague, If you need any help let me know

I tried hooking up an ethernet cable to connect the two computers, but that didn't seem to do anything.

NOOOOOOO RULE ONE
Never connect two computers togather... NEVER
doing this you will run a high risk of shorting them out.
then you'll be out 2 computers :)

I guess you could use your IPod as a USB stick?

NOOOOOOO RULE ONENever connect two computers togather... NEVER
doing this you will run a high risk of shorting them out.
then you'll be out 2 computers :)

Erm... I've never heard of that happening :D Also, you can buy crossover ethernet cables specifically for connecting two devices together without using a router or switch. For example, a few years ago we had our desktop PC and XBox connected directly together via ethernet to share our Internet connection. Obviously nothing shorted out :(

Connect your ipod to the old computer and upload your music library using the SYNC command--then connect it to your dell and save your music into the MY Music folder using the sync process that is in Windows Media Player on the new computer. The SYNC command has never caused me to loose any songs.

Good Luck!

Oledog