xisto Community
adenrake

Firefox 3 Sucks - Time For Another Browser

2. That is completely easy ctrl+alt+delete to open the task manager

If you check the snapshot that i have posted, you will notice that it is a snapshot of all running processes on my system. The firefox process that appears there is the process for the messagebox itself, not the process of "not responding firefox", so when i press the O.K button in the messagebox, the process disappeares from the list. I don't know why firefox says that "firefox is not responding", actually it is not running at all !! So the only way is to restart the system..... Edited by patrick22 (see edit history)

hmm...what OS are you running? What version of Firefox are you running? Cause after having a clearer mind and thinking about it I do remember running across this problem and all I did was click ok and waited a few seconds then clicked on firefox again. As for a possible answer on that point hard to say except to press ok and wait a few seconds, but another idea I got is get RAM Def XT, it is a memory cleaner and if you run that program and clean up the cahce to see if that works.

Wow, I certainly feel behind the times. I didn't even know that a FireFox3 was released, even if it's stable or not yet. I'm still working in my version 2. I don't think that I'll update quite yet, but I think I'll look around for some more screen shots to see what it's all about first. Even if the default version that shows up after the download isn't quite what people want, I'm sure that there are skins that can work with it so that you can change the looks, so I'll be on the look out for that. I really find it funny though about how many people mentioned that they hid the home button in the favourites bar. Why there? I use that button all the time, so I'm definitely going to have to pull that one out. Mind you, maybe it's that a lot of people don't really use that button. I know that as web savvy people, the button makes sense to us, but I really had no idea how many people didn't even change their homepage, let alone use it. It seems to me that people who don't understand the web that much never bother to change their homepage from the page of their internet provider. I've also seen many people that want to, but just don't know how. Or other people that didn't even know it was possible, so they don't use the home button, because it's of no use to them.So maybe, the home button is more limited to the younger generation, and the web developer group, and the people that created the new FireFox version thought it got in the way of many people's browsing, since there's a big group of people that don't use it. But that would be a poor excuse because there is also a large group of people that do.Whatever the case, I'm going to have to look into it more. I'll probably download it in the end, and if it really is that bad, then I can always revert it back to an earlier version I guess.

-With the address bar it works with the bookmark system and using keywords from your book marks you will no longer have to open your bookmark folder and then click on a website.

That's annoying and unnecessary. I want my Bookmarks in my BOOKMARKS. Keep them there.

The browsers should now re-invent itself as as a platform for developing RIAs.

Right, because being a platform really helped the Mozilla suite, WMP, RealPlayer, and all the other crapware that's gotten bloated over the years.

To me, the only reason to use FF3 over any other version is a reduced memory footprint. If it weren't for that, I'd still be using 1.5

-reply by gerf

Replying to Saint_MichaelI agree. I downloaded it last night expecting some interesting updates-- but it was of a (down)date. None of the old extensions which worked previously on all the 0.X updates now don't work, or aren't supported.FF3 feels bulky because it is. I've noticed it actually running slower than all my other browsers- including YBrowser. Web sites take longer to load now.I'd actually re-download the last version FF before 3 came out. -reply by Jarred

Are you serious?

It's funny how people argue and yell about releases. Has anyone heard of Safari? IT IS FASTER then opera. IT IS FASTER then ff3.

I'm a web developer and deal with this EVERYDAY. Yes FF2 was a nice browser but it still doesnt compare to safari 3.

OMG have you tried scrolling this page up and down on FF3? Commpare that to safari 3. WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Just cause safari don't give you extensions and addons... Don't mean it doesnt have everything. You want passwords filled out for you? It comes with the browser. Your a web developer and need debugging... It comes with the browser. My gripe with FF is, in order to use a decent browser you need to download the app then download the addons/extensions/themes... Then... We get a new browser so now we wait for all the addons/themes/extansions to be upgraded too...

Vista anyone?

-reply by Rob C

I am going to re-install firefox 2.

I am going to re-install firefox 2, because:

1.Firefox 3 doesn't support phishing-protect of Northen Antivirus.

2.Firefox 3 is too slow when you are watching youtube.

I will waiting for release Firefox 3.1 or 3.2.

-reply by roheen

The darned address bar

Replying to adenrake

I could not get used to the address bar showing my bookmarks. I went back to v.2. I support Firefox, but this is just crap.

-reply by Superman

Replying to adenrake
I 'downgraded' (although it felt more like an update) to the previous version of firefox (2.0.0.14) which I am writing this comment from, and I plan to use this (and opera, although permanently opera if they don't fix ff3 in future updates) I agree firefox isn't as good without addons, but I guess I can get used to it... The main problems for me with ff3 were none of my updates working, half of my bookmarks lost in the 'update' to ff3 mysteriously, its slowness despite mozilla having claimed the speed was increased, and the new layout when I liked the ff2 one just fine.

-reply by Adam

Full Circle

I was always a Netscape fan... Yup... Anyone remember that being a first choice browser? Didn't think so.

Then because of tabbed browsing I switched from the default IE to Firefox. But I've had problem after problem with Firefox. The addons are great, but stability is not. IE7 seems to be solving many of these issues. I have a funny feeling that when people ask me for a browser of choice I'm going to have to start saying IE.

-reply by Robert

Firefox sucks

Replying to tricky77puzzle

I was always impressed with Firefox until last night when for no apparent reason my FF3 bookmarks disappeared. I did a quick google for any fixes and found some replies. I tried to recover them as directed and they just would reinstall. So off to get a copy of Opera, and as I had imported my bookmark recovery file into IE6 (which I don't use) Opera imported them and away I could go! What impressed me with Opera is the dispaly speed. Firefox 2 was ok but version 3 was slower than a wet week in the tropics. OK, now Firefox has a lot of useful extensions but until I see some improvement in multiple tab speed display I'll now use Opera.

-reply by sniperbait

Firefox 3.0 = thumbs down

I agree! I think it should give us the option to change it. I didn't realize that the changes were going to be this drastic! I wouldn't have upgraded! Deleting the cookies each time my browser closes doesn't solve the problem either. I still have to fish through the mess to get to the website I want to go to while my browser is open!

Firefox blows it big time with 3.0

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

-reply by Eric

Disappointed, will use Firefox 2 until Firefox 4

If "upgrading" means losing a mission critical plug-in, I'll pass. FF3 killed three of my mission critical plug-ins: tab mix plus, repaginator, and refresh blocker.

The "privacy" tab of the options would not work. It never updated the option's dialog box. The "security" tab only worked some of the time.

The Back and Forward buttons are now awkward.

Ctrl+MouseWheel towards you has always meant make the fonts bigger. It was like bringing the page closer to you. Ctrl+MouseWheel away from you always meant make the fonts smaller. FF3 has reverse these two effects.

No one ever wants to make the fonts smaller. They always want them bigger because dumb kids think it's cool to use really tiny fonts. So you're always doing the "make font bigger" mouse wheel gesture.

Pulling the wheel towards you is just easier than pushing it away. So the common gesture should definitely use it.

What Firefox should have done is the following:

1. Plug-in protection

Better protection against poorly written plug-ins. If a plug-in enters an infinite loop or causes an exception, the plug-in runtime should be able to recover. Currently, such plug-ins can bring down the Firefox process.

2. Plug-in lifecycle

All plug-ins should have a lifecycle, even if that means recycling the plug-in runtime. Installing, uninstalling, or updating a plug-in may restart the plug-in runtime for all plug-ins (suboptimal, but acceptable), but it should not force a recycle of the Firefox process.

3. No dialogs modal to top-level windows.

Web pages love to display a dialog box repeatedly until you click "accept" to it. Click "no" or "cancel" and they'll just redisplay the same dialog, perhaps after displaying another one saying you have to say yes. Talk about not taking no for an answer.

Firefox should treat all "modal" dialog boxes as being modal with respect to the tab in which they were spawned rather than modal with respect to the Firefox process or any of it's top-level windows. That way, users can simply close the tab whose web page is being obnoxious rather than killing the Firefox process.

4. Skinning

If Firefox had a skinning or theme creation tool, the developers wouldn't feel the need to "innovate" the UI so much. They could get their creative fixes by creating themes, which the users could install or ignore at our pleasure. Of course, users could create and publish their own themes/skins. Everybody has different tastes.

-reply by Daniel Barbalace