xisto Community
callme

I Have Received One File Called As { Read Joke.doc } it says your task manager is disabled

Can any one help out I have recived one file called as { read joke.doc } after download the file I open the file in the file contain is { read jock.exe } I did not fine any contain so I close the file I try to delete the file but its not deleting so I ignore then I try to open regedit, msconfig, task manager, etc its not opening its say your task manager is disabled then I thought it may be virus so any one tell me what to do I don?t want to format my system and I need best solution tell me how to enable the services

Okay. I would go to

http://www.mcafee.com/us/index.html and get their LIVE virus removal assistance. Someone connects remotely to your computer and sorts it out. I believe there is no, or very little software to install.

Or, what I find extremely useful and use alot to solve alot of questions or problems or viruses is

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

register on their forum and you will never regret, the geeks are always quick to fix your computer :P

BTW: don't open files you don't know, and use http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and use them as your virus, they are the best (thats not only my opinion either)

Edited by lemonwonder (see edit history)

Ah dear... Well next time you'll know what not to open! And what not to open is anything you didnt expect...Lecture over...As for deleting it have you tried safe mode?Generally hitting F8 or CTRL during startup lets you choose the mode to start up in, choose safe mode and try to delete it there. If that doesnt work then you may have a few issues....Try a standard virus scan using different software, and maybe a scan in safe mode.

Use your Scanner in Safe Mode is better. I always had the best results using safe mode. I run Nod32 now, so no worries. Very effective package, but $35 a year is cheap when you think about the pain that a re-install causes.

And after you're done scanning, here's a general rule to follow when reading emails: NEVER open ANY word documents or WMA files that you may find as an attachment. You can be 98% sure that it's a virus. If you want people to send you .doc files, ask them to go on MSN or something, but NEVER through email.

There's a difference between just opening an email attachment and opening one that you know is trusted. NEVER open oneby an unknown sender, just trash it, if you didn't subscribe for it you don't want it...Companies to send invoices through email, but with that you know the companies email and there branding when they send mail out. If you want to hear a joke don't open email attachments, go to lol.com or something.

There's a difference between just opening an email attachment and opening one that you know is trusted. NEVER open oneby an unknown sender, just trash it, if you didn't subscribe for it you don't want it...Companies to send invoices through email, but with that you know the companies email and there branding when they send mail out. If you want to hear a joke don't open email attachments, go to lol.com or something.

I was talking specifically about word documents, programs, and WMA files. Even a trusted email could have a virus.

What email service are you using? SOme email services scan files before they let you download them. I have never had an issue like this so thats why I wonder what email service you used. I agree with running a virus scan test on safe mode, it works a whole lot better, and in the future try not to open files that seem suspicious...

It definately is a variant of virus as it is just taking away your admin right and you are left with nothing but a dumb pc. You are at the mercy cause you cannot install or unstall anything. The problem comes when you want to add something to your current programs and you need admin rights. You are trapped. You now have to install windows all over again. And no gaurantee of any backup possibility. I had once similar problem , but could solve it by running Norton's standalone programs in safe mode. CombiFix.exe is one of the most useful tool, but for limited virii. There are other tools but having a boot antivirus cd/dvd with latest update is very useful.QuickHeal and McAfee are some very good boot cd/dvd versions. However Nod32 and KasperSky are excellent desktop solutions.

Edited by buxgoddess (see edit history)

If possible you should try and quarantine the file, although its most likely any damage has already been done.Check your startup and system processes for anything suspicious, or that you don't recognize...Just scanning your PC for viruses and spy ware would be a good move!Often a file cant be deleted because its in use, so its possible it contains a client which a virus is using to send information about your computer and what you use it for to a remote server...