xisto Community
jlhaslip

Html 5 Draft Report Released Read the changes from html 4 here

Link: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-diff-20080122/

I have just read it once, so I don't have an opinion to state, but the W3C has released the Draft Version of the HTML 5 Working Group.
Apparently, it will remain as a Draft version until at least 2 Browsers actually implement the changes.
The Document above lists the Differences between the html 4 specs and the proposed html 5.

Looks like some interesting stuff, with a <navigation> tag, <section>, etc.

Notice that there is a further separation of Structure and Style as a mess of Table attributes will be no longer supported.

Who will be the first Browser to meet the challenge? Another new Browser war? Stay tuned...

hmm... interesting.

i am also greatly looking forward to css3... the draft for that can be found here.

css3 includes some interesting new proposals, including a new format for text alignment, and my favourite change: the ability to open a link in a new tab, or if the browser doesn't support that, a new window. this will be the modern, valid equivalent of ' target="_blank" '.

my best guess would be that both html5 and css3 are incorporated into firefox 3 by the time the full version is released, and possibly ie8 (lets also hope that ie8 brings a more web standard-compliant internet explorer :o).

i am eagerly awaiting both these changes.

Well I can't see anything negative in the new standards. Everything seems far more logical and fitting to how the web is used today, such as the introduction of the various media control elements. The new selection of elements for defining which parts of your page are actual content, which are navigation and things like that is also a great move.

The bad news for users of FrontPage and other poorly-designed HTML creation software, I suppose, is the removal of tags like font (although they say it will still be allowed :D ), center and things like that. Everything that should be done with CSS.

Frames making a well deserved disappearance is also a relief. Now that CSS can easily lay things out in the way most people used frames, and SSI can be used for repeated menus in static pages, there is really no need for frames. Good riddance to bad rubbish :o

possibly ie8 (lets also hope that ie8 brings a more web standard-compliant internet explorer ).

Dream on...

Thats great that they are trying to improve the standards in web but let us not forget that its also up to the broswer makers to build broswers capable of supporting them. I am pretty sure fire fox will keep their reputation as being the best broswer When new standards come out you can almost bet they will deliver. As for microsoft I doubt they will make IE any much better then it already is now, I dont know what it is about them but maybe its because they make so many wide range of software they dont do so great in certain areas. I'm having a very hard time now trying to make my site work on IE7 but atleast I'm learning what I can and cannot do in it.

Apparently, it will remain as a Draft version until at least 2 Browsers actually implement the changes.

Opera's not that far behind. From what i've seen, Opera has implemented the most HTML5 features out of all the popular browsers. Firefox has implemented some, but not a significant amount; i don't know about IE, doubt it, though; i'm not sure about Konqueror either.

Well IE8 should be able to get CSS1 at 100% and maybe most of CSS2 and parts of CSS3, but of course I don't remember anything on the topic I made awhile back if IE8 was going to be doing any HTML 5 though. Although I wouldn't be surprise if they do a partial graft on IE8 in its release or when they do a SP on it. Of course the thing is though I don't want to relearn html again though, of course if I am remember correctly that HTML 5 is correcting the mistakes of XHTML, but if thats the case is XHTML 2 still in development because its been about 2 years since it was first mentioned though.little surprise though that more elements were not dropped off because of CSS use, but of course wasn't shocked that frames was not support. Although I remember a post by truefusion that they had set up a way to bring frames back to be more SEO friend, but some of those news ones should be interesting to use like header and foot, its almost like they are getting into some php there for a second.

I'll be getting Opera soon.

I have Firefox and Konqueror on My KDE, as well as just Firefox on Windows. I haven't seen anyone use HTML5 yet, but 'm sure it will become the standard in a few years.

They finally got rid of the <big> tag. It's redundant because you can't tell the browser exactly how big you want it.

We'll see how it goes...

We can only hope web standards get better. I remember back in early 2003 I did a short course on graphic design and one project was to implement it in html. so the project was to build a webpage nothing fancy. I think i have the site still somewhere in my portfolio I may even look at the code and laugh at myself since I did not know there was even web standards then. I think I only tested it on IE too lol. I'm only starting to understand what web standards are now and its hard to even imagine what it was like back then. I think the main problem holding us back is the different broswers not all conforming to the web standards. If they all could just agree on a model and stick to it we would be able to advance forward with new technology instead of worrying about what will not work for what broswer. I think right now its the best its ever been and we can only hope it only gets better in the future.

Well, personally, i believe that Opera and Firefox (and the now late Netscape, which was more or less the same as Firefox) pretty much followed the same standards, despite the fact that Opera is IE-based. At least they have ATTEMPTED to abide by the w3 consortium standards.IE on the other hand is every web developer's nightmare. i find it ridiculous that i have to make exceptions in my code so that the almighty IE can even view it properly.In IE8, they had better improve on their standards compliancy (i don't even know is that's a real word, it sounds good :o), because otherwise i have had enough of writing 'if' statements just so that ie can display something like i want it to even though the other browsers seem to have no problem. if IE8 is not web standards compliant, then i will greatly consider the option of simply NOT CARING how my websites turn out in ie. the bottom line: no IE or no website. i will base my website on Firefox, as i usually do (and by the way, this has worked out great for me so far -- my websites have always worked in Opera, Safari and the smaller browsers such as Maxthon), however, i will not bother testing it in IE.

They finally got rid of the <big> tag. It's redundant because you can't tell the browser exactly how big you want it.

I'm sure you could with CSS.

if IE8 is not web standards compliant, then i will greatly consider the option of simply NOT CARING how my websites turn out in IE.

I stopped caring a long time ago—even before i converted to Linux. :o My templates work great in Opera, Firefox and Konqueror; but i build for Opera regardless.

Web 3.0 is coming! Css3, Html 5.0, gonna be awesome. So many changes will happen to the internet world. I doubt many websites will use them untill ages though, normally what happens.Good find, nice read.

this is really a great news. The HTML 5 draft introduce a bunch of new elements and attributes to existing elements.The HTML 5 will make the web pages more sensible and the data can be properly categorized as header, content or side bar using the newer elements like <header></header>, <section></section> & <aside></aside>

this is really a great news. The HTML 5 draft introduce a bunch of new elements and attributes to existing elements.
The HTML 5 will make the web pages more sensible and the data can be properly categorized as header, content or side bar using the newer elements like <header></header>, <section></section> & <aside></aside>

oooo, nice. Looks intresting. But couldn't you already do all that with a <div> tag?

According to this link http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ , the header, Footer, etc tags will be used for structuring a page. Might be useful. Perhaps avoid problems with floats and div placement. header would always be at the top of the page, Footers always at the bottom.

How fast can we actually expect HTML 5.0 to kick in?I don't think it will be anytime soon, probably a few years down the road. And even so, what is the percentage of websites adhering to it? Browsers have to do lots of work too. FireFox 3 is highly unlikely to be able to support HTML 5.0, it isn't even officially released by W3C yet. Our best bet could be IE8 but I don't know about any plans regading FireFox, Safari and Opera