xisto Community
polter

Astrology Is Fiction

I do not believe in astrology. Never did, never will. Astrology for me is a fiction invented by men looking for easy money, especially in third world countries. Astrology is so unscientific and baseless, and if i had time, I'd always encourage everyone I know not to waste their time in such useless activity.

*Claps*Your completely correct. It has nothing to base it's so called "facts" on. When you check what your star signs is ment to experience today, it's always something vague. For example, "You will encounter a problem in your life...". Of course I bloody will, every person alive has encountered a problem. Astrology is dumb and quite frankly, should get banned.

Yeah I tend not to beiieve this kind of thing. I see the adds on tv telling me to call them up and find out about things for only 5 dollars a min lol yeah right. I'm not that gullible but you would be amazed how many people actually believe in this and do call. They must make alot of money since there are so many people in this world who do believe in these kind of things. Whats even more crazy is there are people who are buying land on the moon for real money beleiveing they own it now lol.

My reply to a statement like this is something like;
"What do you believe in?"

IMHO, this shows in the least a myopic view of objective reality.
At worst it's simple anthropomorphic arrogance.

Let's give our ancestors, and this subject, the respect they deserve.

Don't think that statement is true?

Look up the latest info on Stonehenge.
It matches the Solstices and Equinoxs with their Lunar Months.
This is because at the time the Neolithic revolution was going on and mankind was shifting from a hunting/nomadic social model to a sedient/agracultural method.
Laugh at the stars if you will but I live in the Pacific Northwest in the U.S. and the Elk follow the Moon.
Of course if I stop hunting and start growing crops, the frist day of Spring becomes a bit more important to me.

Still so smug?

Then consider this.
The average life span of a Neolithic farmer was probably no longer than the mid-twenties.
So those ancient monuments were built by what todays socity considers children.

I'll end this with a bit from a great comic writer (among many other things) named Tom Weller;

What is Science?Put most simply, science is a way of dealing with the world around us. It is a way of baffling the uninitiated with incomprehensible jargon. It is a way of obtaining fat government grants. It is a way of achieving mastery over the physical world by threatening it with destruction.
Science represents mankind's deepest aspirations - aspirations to power, to wealth, to the satisfaction of sheer animal lusts.
The cornerstone of modern science is the scientific method. Scientists first formulate hypotheses, or predictions, about nature. Then they perform experiments to test their hypotheses.
There are two forms of scientific method, the inductive and the deductive.

Inductive

1 formulate hypothesis

2 apply for grant

3 perform experiments or gather
data to test hypothesis
4 alter data to fit hypothesis

5 publish

Deductive

1 formulate hypothesis

2 apply for grant

3 perform experiments or gather
data to test hypothesis

4 revise hypothesis to fit data

5 backdate revised hypothesis

6 publish

So, having 6 steps instead of 5, deductive logic is better than inductive.
Quid pro you go, you go.

Sound simple? It is.Once, when the secrets of science were the jealously guarded property of a small priesthood, the common man had no hope of mastering their arcane complexities. Years of study in musty classrooms were prerequisite to obtaining even a dim, incoherent knowledge of science.
Today, all that has changed: a dim, incoherent knowledge of science is available to anyone. Popular science books, magazines and computer programs - with their simple, fatuous and misleading prose, their garish illustrations, their flimsy modern production values - have brought science within the reach of anyone who can afford their inflated prices or who can mooch off someone else.
Indeed, today a myriad of sources are available to explain science facts that science itself has never dreamed of.

Talk to me when I can feal it,please.
Hit me when I can understand.

Maou

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything you copied needs to have QUOTE tags around it.
http://www.besse.at/sms/smsintro.html

Notice from Maou_Tsaou:

Sorry, I'll remember for the future!

Edited by Maou_Tsaou (see edit history)

The way I see it, astrology is basically just something to look forward to. It may warn you about struggles that you may encounter but you encounter struggles everyday, astrology just emphasizes this and makes you look for them more because it is on your mind sub-consciously and you become obsessed with it. As for fortune telling and what not, that is all also a joke in my opinion. Before they tell your future, they most likely ask you a few questions about how life is going and what you have been doing, this gives them information to base their foretelling of and they then make a general forecast that is most likely to occur. Then the same process for astrology in which people subconsciously look for it to happen.

I think they are referring to the zodiac signs and things like the horoscope, where they tell you that x planet is aligned with x and because of that your lucky numer is # and you are going to have a good day today... bla bla bla. Astrology is obviously really important, it has been very important throughout the evolution of mankind, but the horoscope and things like that well, I dont know, it is really vague

Jung called the process in which people subconsciously look for something to happen that they've recently become aware of Syncronicity.Now as far as the planets posistions determining our destinies, my point is not that this is the correct belief but rather that the two concepts of planetary possision and the posistion of the planets at the time of ones birth determining an individuals destiny were obviously intermixed to begin with.It was only much later that these concepts became sorted out.Kepler, a truly underlooked individual in the History of Science IMHO, died from an illness contracted by walking a long distance to collect a debt owed for a horoscope drawn up for a nobleman if I recall properly.He didn't get paid.Einstine said that it had always pained him to know how shabbaly Galaleo treated Kepler.The man who made one of the most profound mathmatical discoveries ever concieved practiced Astrology.Newton got his clutzy Calculas from Kepler.I try to imagine pre-neolithic culture which was pretty stable for tens of thousands of years before the "Revolution".Have you ever seen "The Gods Must Be Crazy?"It is important to know the seasons.The easiest way is to check the sky.The shortest day of the year occurs during the coldest time of year.6 moons later comes a day with 12hrs day and 12hrs night.What would the tribe think of these times of year?Would that affect the way they view children born on these days?Again not that we should believe that way, but don't you think that some of the "silly" parts may actually have quite a bit to tell us about ancestors who could leave no other records?Maou

are you aware that politicians in Third world countries, especially India, rely on astrology and forecasts to determine their electoral votes? they worship godmen and seek their blessings so they could win elections. It's kind of funny but sad at the same time. A country with nuclear power still relying on horoscopes and astrology. hope those war heads don't fall into the wrong hands...

The Regan White House wasn't above such matters.Also many of the Eastern augries such as the 'I Ching' can be seen as a way of focusing one's thoughts on the question, rather than as directions to be slavishly followed.Anything that makes a World Leader stop and think a bit before they act can't be all bad can it?FWIWMaou

I love astrology, and when it is done by someone experienced, with the proper books and with the proper knowledge of the stars, it is really interesting, i do not spent hours in that field but sometimes i do love to see my expectations according to the stars, and that includes money, health, friends, family, work.

I think we are talking about two different things because you say you don't believe in astrology, but surely some of it is true. Not saying I believe in star signs etc, but there is some patterns in the universe that occur in which we cannot explain. Quantem Physics I know little about so I can't go into details but someone please explain to me how all the pyramids, stonehenge etc are all in line with the key points of the stars etc. spooky :o

Astrology, look it up in the dictionary... I'm pretty sure it is something along the lines of this.A quick pick me up and/or source of general gossip for women between the ages of 14 and 40.Really there is literally no evidence supporting these immenesely vague magazine columns that tell me I may have some kind of financial problem within the next 49-153 weeks.I hate you astrology.

Many of the descriptions of the zodiac signs are vague to the point where they can apply to anyone. So when you read one, you think "yeah, that kind of does sound like me." I find that the descriptions of my type hit my personality about 50/50; some of what it says is true, but other parts are so off. I like reading my horoscope for fun, and I think many of the times the advice they give is good for anyone since it's stuff like "don't spend too much money" or "take some time for your friends." I think that as long as you take it lightly, astrology is fun and entertaining, but like most things, should not be followed without discretion and common sense.

well, i don't believe in the general mumbo jumbo that you can find in local newspapers. if they were true then all signs would be living the same life and we all know that ain't happening :)on the other hand, to get information from the more experienced astrologers that can do a reading on specific information about you, i DO believe in.i've always been facsinated by astrology but never really got in to it much. just in general and i have to say from what i have seen and learned, there is truth to it. at the same time, there is fiction to it as well. i don't think this science has been perfected at all.with that said.....it's documented proof that when the moon aligns to be full, there are more police calls than normal. with that information alone we can assume with little doubt that the moon affects people in different ways depending on how the moon is aligned(full or not). if the moon can affect people, why can't planets and stars?does our own planet affect us when it's aligned a certain way?(day or night).now i have read about who i am in general from some good resources on astrology. i'm a pisces and the information given was about 75% acurate. i then read the other signs in who they generally are and i have to say that the percentage that was me doesn't come close to what i read about with my own sign. is that just a coincedence to the non believers?do your research before you post to this topic rather than stating a belief without any knowledge or facts to back it up :D and because this science is far from being mastered, any post will always ust be an opinion

It never ceesed to surprise me how people can believe in this.Just think about it... What it's more likely to influence your character? Your genes, your parents taking care of you when you were little, your first friends and so on.... or just how some planets were aligned?And there is also that thing, like , if you are born on 24 of the month or so... If you were born 4 days earlier your personality would be totally different? I don't think so. It can't depend on that.But there will always be people eager to believe stuff without actual proofs. That's why we had tones of Greek gods, Roman gods, people going to crucades and so on. Poor mankind.