xisto Community
KansukeKojima

What Would Happen If We Nuked The Sun?

First of all, it would be impossible for it to actually get there, because of the amount of energy needed.Also, if it ewre to come near, it would be disapourated by the suns imence heat, also, the sun is imence in size, many many times the size of earth, nuking it, would have no effect, as it is just really a ball of gas, It would probably not effect us, also, we would probably never know, as it is so far awa, it would be years before the light changes actually reached us...

I dont know about freezing if the sun "blew" up, but more of being dark 24/7 rather and having to rely on solar power and the like, which probably wouldnt be good enviroment wise and earth would be worse off in environmental terms, especially those that have to rely on nuclear power in various areas worldwide.

Like I mentioned in my first post, in order to even reach the sun those nukes would have to withstand thousands of degree's of the suns temperature, plus they would have to reach the suns core in order to blow it up. On top of that I wouldn't worry about being in complete darkness because you won't get to enjoy that because when the sun explodes, everything between the Sun and at least Jupiter will be wiped out and so not being able to see blue sky is the lease of your problem and using solar power is pretty much useless since most batteries last a few days give or take.

Silly people. It's basic astronomy 101 type knowledge that the sun is a star. Like all stars it's in a perpetual state of nuclear explosion, specifically the combining of H atoms resulting in He. Once all the H is converted to He, the sun goes in to the next phase of its life meaning the inner planets, even Newfoundland, will be consumed by the resulting expansion caused by the off- balanced mass/ gravity equation. Anyway, while in its controlled state of fission, throwing all the nukes on planet Earth at the sun, even the core of the star, would have exactly NO affect whatsoever. I'd be like throwing a fire-cracker into a pool of molten steel. Or think of the Terminator lowering itself into the liquid metal at the end of the movie. Did it have any affect on the pool of metal? No? Why? Because they were both metal, so no reaction was caused. Further, the mass of the pool was so much more than the mass of the robot, it was easily absorbed.

Well I know it would not even be able to make it to the sun but, it seems like an interesting idea. Seeing as the sun already has nuclear energy and reactions it would have no effect if it were to make it there. Now if we had some sort of antinuclear technology we could try and test that on the sun but, that could cause an ice age. I think if a nuclear bomb were to hit the sun it still may disrupt something if it made it there though but, not enough for anyone to notice.

It would barely be noticed. As Pleno says, the Sun is one big nuclear factory.Sending a Hiroshima-level bomb there would not even register on any scale.The sun would deflect it like a horse's tail swipes away flies.

I'm wondering if he meant "nuke" as in send a nuke up there or if he meant "nuke" as in just theoretically blowing up (much like "nuking" a hotdog or something of that nature).Everyone has pretty much nailed down the basis of sending a nuke up there, so I'll hit on the latter.If the sun were to explode our lives would be over. We rely on the sun for our energy purposes (sunlight feeds plants which feed animals which feed us, assuming you're a meat eater. Regardless, plant life is essential to our existance). Without it, we all die.In that time, were the sun not to burn us up during its "explosion," we would experience two things; freezing cold and starvation. I guess in a sense it could be seen as another Ice Age. If the cold didn't kill you the lack of food over a period of time would.Interesting question you have but I feel my answer is very accurate, were said event to take place. Luckily (hopefully) it won't.

This is a reaction some people who said that the sun runs on a nuclear reaction witch is WRONG.The sun runs on FUSHION witch means that two cores melt together at a certain heat. With that progress an enormous amount of energy comes free witch is the reason the sun keeps 'burning'.Anyway if you would nuke the sun you won't notice anyting imagine:you would see a frag grenade explode form 20000 miles? Of course not.(i'am NOT a native speaker so my spelling fails)