xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dagoth Nereviar

Is Animal Blood Drinkable? And why is raw meat now bad for us?

Can we drink animal blood? If we boiled it or something, would it still be bad? Or is animal blood why we can't eat raw meat? And how come we can't eat raw meat anymore? I'm guessing at one point in time, we did eat it raw without cooking it, so what's changed? Could we slowly ween ourselves back onto it or something?Sorry for the 21 questions :) And if you're wondering, this came about while I was watching Ray Mears (The survival legend xD) and it was one about some guy walking across the desert, meeting a caravaner....But I was just wondering, if you had a camal with you, could you use it for both food and water, if you could drink its blood?

As for the safe to drink the blood part, i'm not sure about the implications for that; however, the eating raw meat, you cook it just to get rid of potentially unsafe bacteria/diseases so you could eat the raw meat of a perfectly healthy animal and be fine, of course, it probably wouldn't taste as good without ketchup :).

Ahhhhhh...so it's the bacteria/diseases that are bad....hmm...well, what about with like chicken and stuff? You're not meant to eat pink chicken, coz you can get real bad s***s...I mean :) runs...

It's not just the blood that can contain deadly diseases. But i have a question for you: Why in the world would you want to drink animal blood? Also, i wouldn't be suprised if you barfed up the blood while dirinking it. And if you want something raw to eat, go eat sushi.

In Poland there is a soup which is made from duck blood which tastes rather good. You can drink the blood of an animal (well, eat if you really want to be smart), but like all products from an animal you should purchase something which is deemed 'safe', and be sure to cook it well. You might want to look at a recipe for the soup to see how the blood is prepared. The Vietnamese also have a blood-based food, which is called Tiết canh, which is made with raw duck blood rather than cooked blood like the Polish dish.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

And how come we can't eat raw meat anymore? I'm guessing at one point in time, we did eat it raw without cooking it, so what's changed?

According to my Bio teacher, humans constantly have mutations. Most are not serious, and we dont even notice them. He says that every human has at least 46 mutations, but are so minor that you would not notice them.
I heard on the news not long ago about how half the population have back molars(those are the teeth at the back of your mouth), and half the population do. This is a mutations, and according to natural selection, will continue to spread in humans, and eventually they will be gone permanently. Another example is with milk. Apparently all adults could not drink milk, but they could as babies. They were all lactose intolerant. There were a few exceptions, and some adults could drink milk. This was a mutation, and spread. And now most adults can drink milk. I think most people in Asian and Africa are still lactose intolerant? Thats what I was told.

I think this is much the same with eating raw meat. It was a mutation that spread in humans. So there will be humans that can eat raw meat, and some that cannot. Although you would have to argue which is the mutation... whichever one came first, but we dont really know because it happens over such a long period of time.

well if you drink it won't you get hepatitis or something?but there is a food called 'pork blood' well the name says it all its pork blood, they put pork blood in a container and boil it, it tastes quite nice actually, but it does contain a health risk and because I amd now a christian I am strongly against eating/drinking blood.

As noted the only reason you shouldnt eat raw blood or meat is because of bacteria, chicken is very risky as chickens can catch/carry very bad bacteria, thats why chicken eggs are vaccinated.I think we can ween ourselves onto raw food, ive seen several survival programs where they drink blood straight from the animals body and also eat the organs such as the liver raw. If we wanted to eat raw meats i think we would need to slowly introduce clean raw meat in very small doses so our body can make a defense against the small amounts of bacteria so that we can eventually eat more and more raw products. Im sure i saw a TV show about someone who only ate raw meat.. or maybe i read it on the internet, maybe even on this forum :)

Thank you all for your replies B) Big reply coming up :D :D

It's not just the blood that can contain deadly diseases. But i have a question for you: Why in the world would you want to drink animal blood? Also, i wouldn't be suprised if you barfed up the blood while dirinking it. And if you want something raw to eat, go eat sushi.

I was watching Ray Mears and I was just wondering, if you could find an animal but not water (Say you was in the desert with a camal I dunno B)) could you use it for both food and water, thus not need to find water/live longer :P

In Poland there is a soup which is made from duck blood which tastes rather good. You can drink the blood of an animal (well, eat if you really want to be smart), but like all products from an animal you should purchase something which is deemed 'safe', and be sure to cook it well. You might want to look at a recipe for the soup to see how the blood is prepared. The Vietnamese also have a blood-based food, which is called Tiết canh, which is made with raw duck blood rather than cooked blood like the Polish dish.

Hahaha, cool! Thank you for the reply, but I don't think I'll actually be making a blood dish..I'm not too good with cooking chicken, so with cooking blood, I'd be terrible...although, I guess it can't be hard to get it right, it's raw blood :D

According to my Bio teacher, humans constantly have mutations. Most are not serious, and we dont even notice them. He says that every human has at least 46 mutations, but are so minor that you would not notice them.
I think this is much the same with eating raw meat. It was a mutation that spread in humans. So there will be humans that can eat raw meat, and some that cannot. Although you would have to argue which is the mutation... whichever one came first, but we dont really know because it happens over such a long period of time.

Yeah, I thought it would most likely be that we've "worked" our way off of it, since cooking is alot better.

I heard on the news not long ago about how half the population have back molars(those are the teeth at the back of your mouth), and half the population do. This is a mutations, and according to natural selection, will continue to spread in humans, and eventually they will be gone permanently. Another example is with milk. Apparently all adults could not drink milk, but they could as babies. They were all lactose intolerant. There were a few exceptions, and some adults could drink milk. This was a mutation, and spread. And now most adults can drink milk. I think most people in Asian and Africa are still lactose intolerant? Thats what I was told.

Wow, I wasn't sure about the molars possibly becoming extinct. And I really wasn't aware that adults used to be lactose intolerant. So does that mean that it's only adults who will be lactose intolerant?

well if you drink it won't you get hepatitis or something?but there is a food called 'pork blood' well the name says it all its pork blood, they put pork blood in a container and boil it, it tastes quite nice actually, but it does contain a health risk and because I am now a christian I am strongly against eating/drinking blood.

I'm not sure, depends if the blood has hepatitis in it I guess B) Hmm...too bad you're not one of those weird people who drink blood and sacrifice small goats, eh? :D (Btw, not knocking christianity or sacrificing-small-goat-ianity)

Of course you can drink animal blood. After all it is just food.Even when you drink your own blood it will be digested just like any other food.

Yeah, but your own blood is most probably clean, especially to yourself. Hmm.....I wonder if you could cut yourself and use yourself as a source of drink :)

As noted the only reason you shouldnt eat raw blood or meat is because of bacteria, chicken is very risky as chickens can catch/carry very bad bacteria, thats why chicken eggs are vaccinated.

Ahhh....Well, I guess you can't really clean raw meat/blood, coz then you'd have water :D Unless you boiled the blood/raw meat together...

I think we can ween ourselves onto raw food, ive seen several survival programs where they drink blood straight from the animals body and also eat the organs such as the liver raw. If we wanted to eat raw meats i think we would need to slowly introduce clean raw meat in very small doses so our body can make a defense against the small amounts of bacteria so that we can eventually eat more and more raw products. Im sure i saw a TV show about someone who only ate raw meat.. or maybe i read it on the internet, maybe even on this forum :P

Yeah, I thought if we slowly ate/drunk it, then we would eventually build up defenses against it. Those TV shows sound cool too :( Wish I'd of seen them :D

Once again, thank you all very much for your replies B)

Blood is a perfectly good source of protien, and in many cultures animal blood is made up into various tasty dishes, however, in most cases it is cooked. I think people get a little too worked up over bacteria. There is bacteria in EVERYTHING. The air you breath, the water you drink, the food you eat. All of it. A healthy body protects it'self from bacteria as long as you are healthy and everything is in working order. If you constantly attempt to avoid contact with bacteria eventually you will weaken your own immune system and loose the natural ability to fight off bacteria. But that is a bit off topic. It isn't the bacteria that is the entire problem with raw meat. It is the internal parasites that live in the muscle meat that when ingested, can infect the host. So...if you get stranded in the dessert and have to eat your camel, just make sure you get a good dose of wormer when they find you. :) You'll be fine.

Blood is a perfectly good source of protien, and in many cultures animal blood is made up into various tasty dishes, however, in most cases it is cooked.

Ahhh, sweet :D Thanks for replying

I think people get a little too worked up over bacteria. There is bacteria in EVERYTHING. The air you breath, the water you drink, the food you eat. All of it. A healthy body protects it'self from bacteria as long as you are healthy and everything is in working order. If you constantly attempt to avoid contact with bacteria eventually you will weaken your own immune system and loose the natural ability to fight off bacteria.

Yeah, that's why I thought you could slowly make your body accept raw meat, by having a small bit each day, then you rbody would defend itself, and then you'd have more and so on

But that is a bit off topic. It isn't the bacteria that is the entire problem with raw meat. It is the internal parasites that live in the muscle meat that when ingested, can infect the host. So...if you get stranded in the dessert and have to eat your camel, just make sure you get a good dose of wormer when they find you. :rolleyes: You'll be fine.

Haha, if I ever go to the desert then, I'll try and keep some wormer in my pocket xD Although I'm sure a tin of food would be better ;)

;) Some radikas drink blood frequently, others more infrequently, and yet others not at all. Being a radika does _not_ mean that you'd had to do it. Actually, if you don't really need it, you'd better not. Blood is simply energy in concentrated form. If you can get enough energy, you don't need blood. Think about it. I know it's hard like hell, and you most probably feel like dying if you're used to drinking and won'tdrink. But it won't kill you. If you end up with the fact that you really need to drink blood, consider how much you need. Our eyes are generally bigger than our stomachs. Human body does not digest blood well. It's the energy in the blood you're after, not the blood itself. Besides, when the skin is broken, there is a great amount of energy bleeding from the wound at the same time. You can feed from that too. Though the possibility of becoming ill from Pork blood is small, why risk it at all? It has nothing to do with pathogens, but instead with parasites. Trichinosis is a gastrointestinal illness caused by the intestinal roundworm, Trichinella spiralis. Trichinosis is prevented by cooking all pork and pork products at a temperature and for a sufficient amount of time to allow all parts to reach 71? C. The eggs of this parasite can be found in a certain percentage of all pigs raised for dietary uses ... which is why everyone always tells you to be certain to cook pork thoroughly before eating. It can also be found in the blood of the animal. Unfortunately, heating the blood to the suggested 71? C essentially destroys it, as far as it being "fresh" any longer, though you can make a nice blood pudding from it (I hear, I don't do cooked blood). Along with drinking blood of almost any animals ,there is high risks of contacting ,indigestion of parasites that could live inside your own stomach and create extreme amount of harm within your own self .So really there is no true way to rid self of harming areas in drinking animal blood or humans .So why? Even tempt it as part of your own Life. :rolleyes: Although some cultures all over ,use Blood as part of thier daily diets ,in creation of soups,regular dinner meals or just simple glass of blood juice as part of thier daily diet as some believe it creates more energy within thier own body .

Is Animal Blood Drinkable? - And why is raw meat now bad for us?Is Animal Blood Drinkable?

Any meat you eat will have a bit of blood in it, especially if you're eating red meat like a juicy rare piece of steak. 

-reply by Kali