xisto Community
street

Microsoft Search Engine Getting a huge upgrade to compete with google

"SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp., the No. 3 Web search provider in the U.S., is rolling out changes to its search engine aimed at narrowing the gap between it and market leader Google Inc."

Source
It looks like microsoft is trying to make a super search engine to compete with google. I thought what they did to the live search was a big change but it looks like they have a lot planned for live search. There are some features that i like that they are going to add but some that is just going to put to much junk on the page when you are searching.

"It's a huge improvement," Nadella said. "We believe we can now compete with Google."

When i read this line i just started to laugh it looks like microsoft believe that they can compete with google. I think they dont understand that google users are not going to change to there live update just cause they added a lot of tweaks to there search engine. But we will just see in the future.

Targeting existing users will increase search volume, but also help Microsoft gain momentum, Weiner said. He expects the software maker to go after Google's market share in 2008.

It looks microsoft likes to put there plans out for everyone to see instead of keeping it to themselves. But seeing that they are so confident in there plan they dont care that google knows. It would be funny when 2008 comes around that they dont get google market share.

Hehehehehe.Microsoft competing with Google?Microsoft COMPETING???I think there are very few, even MAJOR search engines out there right now that can compete with google.Let alone a little known (at least, I don't know anyone who's heard of it) M$ Search.

Microsoft definitely have the capital and manpower to compete with Google but the question here is the giant who knows everything VS the hack expert kind of scenario. In order for microsoft to compete with Google, they must first know why google is more successful in terms of search engine and try to do a significant improvement fast so that they will come up with the next-gen search engine where everyone can find anything they want with ease and speed.

What i see is some competition to google, and competition is always good because it is not good in any way for a search engine to have almost all the monopoly of the internet searchers this days, no company should have the monopoly in any situation, in any product or service or that same company could do whatever it wants.I just wish Microsoft creates a very good search engine to compete with google, at least with good features so that we could use it wisely and also to change a litle bit, i am tired of going to the google search engine page to search for something but it is the search engine that i trust the most.Good luck Microsoft!

According to me no one can attain the status of Google. No can collect data crawling the internet as Google has done so far. even if they begin crawling now, they'd be still lagging behind Google on the amount of data collected.

But I've noticed in Microsoft Live Search that it provides more relevant results than the results by Google.

But Google provides more results nearly double than that of Microsoft Live search.

Proof: the word "the" is usually searched to find the total number of English pages indexed by the search engine. Here are the results from both the browsers.

Google - 4,810,000,000 results

Live search - 2,598,561,116 results

Edited by delivi (see edit history)

Well I tried out the new live the search and the one thing I do like is how the image search has change, as you can do a lot more with it then google image search does. As you can resize the results meaning you can add more photo to the result page or only have a few up. So I can tell that microsoft did some great ajax work to it search engine. They do have some great stuff to bad they try doing this early and maybe they would have an edge on google's search engine.

Yeah and they tried to compete with the ipod with their thing which I already forgot what is called, and where is it? I dunno...... I never really liked their search engine =b , I couldnt really find what I was looking for.

Probably good news for google users, because they will try to improve their own search engine. Let's face it, I don't think microsoft is going to win this battle... at least not in a few years time.

I don't think Microsoft has any chance. They are not used to competition and when they do have competition they try to eliminate it as soon as possible thru more or less legal ways. But unlike other times the competition is a lot more powerful in all terms. Google does a great job, the search engine has become quite a habit for us. Today Google is even the icon of the Internet.Just imagine Google would stop working tomorrow... the search engine, the email, everything. It is the first true sign of Armageddon :P . Now picture same thing happening with Microsoft... what a nice world would that be! :) . But I guess none of that will ever happen.In a few words... Microsoft! You don't stand a chance! Google rocks!

Well microsoft has always been told they will never stand chance when they went in to the gaming business and look at them now they are on the top right now. It did not take long for them to have the best gaming system it is going to be a matter of time that the microsoft pulls off something so super that it is going to blow google out. I dont think defeat is in microsoft vocbulary. :)

No way, microsoft can never, ever, ever, ever^398573456345387456overtake google.Google is so many peoples homepage, and most peoples favourite search. it is also the best. by far.microsoft obviously underestimate the powr of google. Adding new features to a search engine is no good, in the end, its the size of the index, and the best results.

Some people have shorter memories than others. I recall having similar thoughts to minimcmonkey when I first heard about Google. "No way they will ever compete with Altavista, the biggest and most popular Search Engine around, Altavista is the best!" And at the time they were, everybody that I knew used Altavista as their preferred search engine back then. That was before Google moved in and set up shop. These days you could almost be forgiven for thinking that Google invented the idea of Internet Search Engines. They didn't. It was being done long before they came around. They just found a way of doing it better. It is just as conceivable that somebody else, setting up from a geekshop in their garage could create another new idea that surpasses even Google. Remember their roots. Google started out as a college project operating out of somebody's garage. If they can get to become the megopoly that they are today from such humble beginnings, imagine how a company such as Microsoft, with a huge R&D budget and a whole horde of eggheads in their army, imagine what they could do in the Internet Search Engine market if they put their minds to it. I think it is possible that Microsoft could overshoot Google if they applied themselves, but no more possible than some previously unheard of startup company with a great new idea coming along and overtaking Google as the next big thing.

Edited by travstatesmen (see edit history)

travstatesmen said it all, no company nor nobody or no human is the best at something forever, it always appears someone or something else later on that had a greater and more inteligent idea, a more organized, creative and coordenated and inovative idea, no to talk that if you invent a better technology too, then if you have a better and faster and effective technology like google had at the time and developed it during this time, as well as their programming (their algorithms, mainly).So, street, next time when you try to predict something with your "super powers" (joking), try to use your better judgement and good sense, because myself and travstatesmen have it in high quantities.

Erm, actually freeflashclocks, it was minimcmonkey amongst others in this thread who were upholding the negative opinion about Microsoft overtaking Google in the Search Engine wars. If you read through street's post again, you'll see that he/she is agreeing that Microsoft could overtake Google, and I agree with street that "I dont think defeat is in microsoft vocbulary".

My advice to you freeflashclocks: read more, post less, and that way when you post it will be more meaningful. :)