xisto Community
megabytemb

30000 Terabyte Hard Drive

its the size of a normal hdd but when it gets released it would be like 10 grand but sooner or l8er u would fill it it upi r member when i though i would never use a gig when comp's first came outsims 2 will soon become a 5 TB game :XD: :) it would most likely come out in 2020 or something???ps: i couldn't find the mag it was in i have millions lol

Edited by megabytemb (see edit history)

I thought I get my two cents in since google nor yahoo pulled up a search result for this yet, it would seem to be at this time all fluff at this moment since the author failed to mention the name magazine or scan the article to read more into it

Just for you I researched it a bit and came up with a lab that is using halographic storage methods... and this is what I came up with...
Story 1... "Add water and get 12.8 Petabyte on 1cm˛ "

If they would be able to make this invention work commercially you would according to Jonathan Spanier be able to create a memory that can store 12.8 Petabyte (12.8 million gigabyte) on 1 square centimeter.

Source: http://www.aol.com//

Story 2...

A FIRM which makes a disc that can hold 60 times more data than a DVD said it is ready to release the product next year.
InPhase Technologies, based in Colorado, has developed a commercially viable version of a holographic disc which can hold 300 gigabytes of data and can be used to read and write data 10 times faster than a normal DVD.

InPhase Technologies spokesperson Liz Murphy said that unlike other technologies that record one data bit at a time, holography allows a million bits of data to be written and read in parallel with a single flash of light. This enables transfer rates significantly higher than current optical storage device.

The discs, are 13 centimetres across and a little wider than normal DVDs. They store data in a light-sensitive crystal material using the interference of laser light. A single light beam is split and passed through a semi-transparent material. This acts like a filter, changing different parts of the beam to encode bits of information

Source: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread185529/pg1

there are two completely different stories I had no problem finding... and you guys should definately read the first one. I assume that's what this thread is talking about.

Hmm... that is a lot of space. It might come in handy for a web server. Too bad you would need an insane computer to be able to search through all that space in a timely manner. I'd rather just stick with a network of smaller HDDs. Faster and more efficient I think - considering the technology available currently. Man... I have a 20GB hard drive and I still have plenty of space. And I am running Visual Studio.NET with the whole MSDN Library. And we all know how much memory that takes up!!! Damn you Microsoft! Memory hoggers! Having a 30PB hard drive would just allow microsoft to create even more memory consuming software. Just imagine Microsoft Office 2020 - required HD space - 980TB required RAM 128TB... :XD:

Just for you I researched it a bit and came up with a lab that is using halographic storage methods... and this is what I came up with...

thanks i thought it would be on the net somewhere lol
i my memory is bad. its heaps bigger then i thought

I find it hard to fill 100GB in a year, I dont think anyone could use 10TB without trying very hard for a long time, with a fast internet connetction, and a lot of full DVDs. But 3000TB would just be stupidly large, who could possibly fill it up? Although research like that is useful, as it would be good it they made smaller ersion like 20TB, which would bo more than you would ever need but not quite as extreme as 3000TB!

I have had my 30Gb hard drive for 5 years now, I've still only used a bit over half. The only reason anyone could ever, ever, EVER need 30,000Tb of space is if they're wanting to save the history of the world and the universe up to 50 billion years ago in AVI format. (A bit overkill, I admit, but effective)I would love to find a use for the huge hard drives that seem to be so massively popular today, but I can't really think of anything that one person could do with that much space. Maybe people who are really into making movies and saving them or something... As for me, I'm fine with at most 100Gb.

Sounds un real and apparently the scientists in America have found out how to split water into hydrogen and oxygen using sun light so *cough*bull*cough* If it is real imagine defragmenting it =0

I don't believe we'd actually need that much of space in 30 years...

Oh, wait! Well, Bill Gates had a similar prediction, so I'll take mine down :)

Hope no one sees this! I'd actually keep my all of pr0n collection overthere! :)

Well, something to keep in mind is that you guys are comparing the size of the HDD to the stuff that we use right now.In all actuality, the size demans will increase as time goes along as well.For example, I remember when I was a kid, putting 8-9 full games on a floppy diskette(1.44 mb's) and now there are games(Age of Conan) that take up over 30 GB's of space.For another example, look at videos. Whereas normal DVD's hold 4.7 or 8.5 GB's(I think DL is 8.5?) Blue Ray holds over 40 GB's. Yet a Blue Ray movie will take up the entire disc.So really, as our quality of information(Graphics, clarity, etc.) goes up, so will our demand for more and more space.It's perfectly logical that when the 30k TB drives come out to the public, we'll be sitting there saying "Man...I ran out of space already. Only had the drive for 3 days too!"

It would fail pretty quickly you would think, but they are able to use this nano-technology in such a way that it is almost fail proof. I wanna buy it

The funniest part would be that our brain is limited to experiences and with experience we learn. A HDD of such proportions will store something that will take half the life to go through once, forget about remembering. Even if the indexing of Windows keeps track of what is in there it will be a hell of a problem to track changes that will go into it. Just imagine that you are reading a peice of book from the disk and then you decide that you need to find something related to it even if specific on a particular issue, the result like a google search will give more options than required and actually more time wasted in searching relevant topics even if pre-done.Some one said "Little knowledge is dangerous", but forgot to say "Too much knowledge is a burden". Such a magnanimous HDD will create more chaos than help, untill ofcourse the world is ready for another information overflow.

hey i read in some windows xp magazine that scientists over in America made a 30000 terabyte hard drive by using nano technology and adding believe it or not, water to the hard drive.how sick would it be to have a hdd that BIG

Dear friend if it is true them think about that no body will have no problems in storing any number of games, songs, movies etc in his system and I am exited to see it soon in the market. Obviously I don't know the cost factor is it easily affordable in cost or not. 

30000 terabyte?!Oh,my god!How much is it?If it's ture,i think people who love movies like me will excited very much.30000 Tb means 30000*1024 Gb.If one movie comperss using rmvb arithmetic will cost 1Gb to store,so there can store 30000*1024 ,equals to 30720000 movies in a hard disk whose capacity equals to the number which you have said.if it's true,i think i would not delete movies in my HD forever!What's a good news:)Wish it come true soon!good luck!