xisto Community
soleimanian

Increase Internet Connection Bandwidth

Increase your internet connection bandwidth

There is a feature in windows xp (Packet Scheduler) which take 20% of your internet connection band width. You can disable this feature.

1- Go to Start Menu > Run and then type "gpedit.msc" to run Group Policy.

2- Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates.

3- Under Administrative Templates, expand Network and then Qos Packet Scheduler.

4- In the right panel, right click on Limit reservable bandwidth and then select Properties.

5- In Limit reservable bandwidth Properties, click on Setting tab and then enable Limit reservable bandwidth.

6- Here you can change Bandwidth Limit from default (20) to 0.

7- Now , go to your Connection properties, select Networking and be sure Packet Scheduler is enabled . click ok and the restart your computer.

This is old news, and some people have fast internet connections already (8mbps+), and some of us (like me) are running windows vista, still great to see people posting the tips, it keeps the tips alive

I read somewhere that this only works in Windows XP Professional Edition but if you wanted to do it in Home Edition all you have to do is click Start > Run > Type in services.msc and then find the QOS service and disable it. I am not sure if this works, I read it and haven't tried it so be careful that you know how to bring it back. As for side effects to doing this, as far as I know mojoman there aren't any. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3688 This link here says it only affects LAN traffic and not the internet itself. I would try it but I don't want to screw anything up plus I'm happy with what I have at the moment so I'll let the scheduler do it's job.

I tried this and my and I was able to get a new maximum upload speed by about 27 kbps, and download stayed the same. Other than that, nothing went wrong...at all.

okay.... that was only for windows community. but is there any way for increasing the bandwidth for Linux using community. i am using internet facility through a LAN connected to a centralised web server.is there any way to steal major amount of bandwidth to my computer? is there any software which could do this?

Downsides of this is that if you are on a network and are transfering files and then also going online, it will not prioritize or distribute a certain percent of the bandwidth to each operation. Instead if will completely fill your connection with one or the other if your connection can not handle both streams based on their size and such.

The post seemed to help me and my fiance quite a bit, we're still having problems with our net, but it's made it at least livable until we get the service tech out here. Nothing is really going to stop a 75% packet loss due to signal and other issues >.> btw I dislike Brighthouse Networks Road Runner cable internet with great intensity. But once again thank you for helping me and my fiance out, we were getting constant signal loss, and almost always disconnecting every few moments, but now we're able to stay on, slowly but better than unable to.

NO BANDWIDTH RESERVED BY WINDOWSIncrease Internet Connection Bandwidth

Replying to soleimanian

WRONG! Windows does not reserve any bandwidth for any purpose. This myth has been circulating way to long. Where do prople get this rubish?

-feedback by ROBERT WILLIAMS

I think that if you bypass your bandwitch, your ISP(Internet Service Provider) will be very angry, and they might even ban you from using their services, or even charge you more(the charging probably won't happen). I was looking for this kind of stuff for few days, but that it came to me, what's the point if they ban me? I won't get any use of it. Anyone tried this?

Well for a start i thought this was illegal, since it is in the terms of use of the provider - virgin media says that your avaliabilities should not be tampered with. And seconds ive seen this on youtube many many times, and it just doesnt work for windows xp home since "gpedit.msc" doesnt exsist. And also - why would you need to increase it? Im supplied with 5TB of bandwidth, and that is pretty much an endless supply :DThe new 50meg broadband (40meg guarunteed) that virgin media are giving out has 8TB of bandwidth. (i think)

Please note in doing this is you are caught you maybe suspended or banned from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) as It is against there TOS (Terms of Service)!Do it at your own risk :D.

Hmmm is this real? It seems like it isn't but I guess I don't lose anything by trying.I doubt Windows can do that thought, reserve 20% of our bandwidth?However the names of the things you change and the numbers make it a weird coincidence...After I do it is there a way of knowing if my connection speed improved or if it is the same?

are there any downsides to doing this?

This is really to answer everyones' questions about "Is this bad?"

It's pretty simple, really. It's bad if you're a gamer.

What happens is when you play games your game takes up 100% of your bandwidth(assuming it's a broadband game...and you're surfing, on Ventrilo, etc. at the same time) while you play which causes lag.

This 20% decrease keeps the "active programs" from taking up the entire 100%(instead just 80%) allowing 20% for the broken packets and to keep down lag. Disabling that will cause more lag(generally speaking) but will speed up download speeds.

By gaming it also includes things like web cams, microphones, VoIP, etc.

If you experience a lot of game lag on broadband when you are on Vent, for example, your router will have settings to slow the router to a certain maximum bandwidth. If you do this, you want to set it at ~85%.

And yes, it helps. With broadband being fast these days the 30 kb/s won't make much of a difference to your eye but in terms of the speed and efficiency of the network it's much greater.