xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

Think I've Perfected It Please Review! DailyRant

Daily rant has been running for about 3 months now, and I think I have completed everything! Thanks to SM for a previous 9/10 review :D - topic seemed to have disappeared, so I created it again! It's got a lot of content up and I would say I have finalised the design and finally got it perfected from my point of view! - Does anyone have an opinion on the upper-right searchbox?

Please review my site critically for anything you think can be improved :P

Daily Rant

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

Really nice site! Clean layout and a funny and straight logo, which I loved the most about the layout. Colors seem to go well and loved the idea. :D The only thing I didn't like is the content placement, for a guy like me, who would just stumble upon a site and drag his eyes around for 5 seconds, you get a feeling of being lost for a minute or two. I guess you have just recently started. Good luck with your site! :PI have a rantblog too but it isn't much though I plan on making it bigger and better. :P

The only thing I didn't like is the content placementI have a rantblog too but it isn't much though I plan on making it bigger and better. :D

thanks sy, you said the layout might be a bit confusing to start with. I have made that wolf welcome pic quite a bit smaller, and I would say it makes everything much better, makes writing look "wider" in the middle and more text shows before people have to scroll down as well... what do you think?

If you wanted, I'd be happy to make you a publisher account, so if you wanted you could come along with us and have dailyrant as your rant site?? :P

Of course he didnt "make ot" cause he used joomla, but he did have to you know add the content chose the skin, and a lot of other things too :D. I like it, i forget if i reviewed it before, but its great. But please I think u should remove the administrator bar from the hompage, just seems weird to have that there. Overall 9.5/10 just cause I've seen that skin on a lot of other sites

Thanks both of you :P It's great that you like it SM and yes Mr bk is right. I used joomla with rockettheme template. It took a lot of work changing things to the way I liked it and stripping down the page, also ordering and customising everything. Also did a lot of behind the scenes work too :D You like the banner??Oh and bk, by administrator bar, did you mean the admin link? Well I guessed it was the link so I've removed that... if you really meant the login box, please speak up!!

Well, you've still got quite a few tables in your design, so it might be a good idea to clean those up. Visually the site seems quite good, and it seems the template wasn't ripped off from some site, so that's even a better plus. You've already got the content setup for the site. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Thank you :D 4/5 is a great result!.. I sorta had that table issue coming!! I think for that, I really don't have the skill (or the time!) that it will take to remove those tables from the design. Its working well x-browser, and I fear if I start messing with stuff like that all manner of things will go wrong! - I did actually try to de-tabularize a different design of mine previously. It was very, very simple and yet I failed dismally and broke the template!! so I'll have to save that for when I have more skill...Do you have an opinion for styling of the top-right searchbox?

Is that site on a CMS? Kind of looks similar to a Joomla or Xoops setup?Anyway, I think the site is great. I have wanted to do an idea like that for sometime, and I think I am going to incorporate a similar idea as a module in my new project. Definately a nice site to add to your portfolio. As for the design, I love the top/bottom banners, with a center console running down the middle. Definately a common feature you see in designs now-a-day and you pull it off fairly well. The gradient colors work very well.Negativities? Something doesn't seem right. I think its hows the middle section is deisngs... Latest Rants / 2 Articles / Popular...... perhaps you could run latest articles on the right... and keep your articles to be the first thing you see.

The website is beautiful. I love the menus how they are expanding as you mouse over. Nice JS my friend. One suggestion if you don't mind? That search bar just feels kind of strange to me, sitting where it is. I think that it would look better if you lowered it so it was sitting right above the nav bar, and perhaps give it an image to make it settle in more. Perhaps have a rounded box coming out of the bottom of the nav bar and have the search sit in there. I don't know, I'm sure you can think of something even better, I just feel like the search box was kind of slapped on there at the last moment in a space that was available. And if you want safari users to love you you can take a look at this for your search box. :D

9block, good suggestion. what with the main articles being the first thing you see.. I think I might take your point and put the latest on the right, or something. First though, I'll take the searchbox mods - I seem to be having success with that! And yes, It is actually a Joomla! setup :D I would highly recommend it if you're willing to go through the hassle with templates and customising it to compliment you're content!..

That search bar just feels kind of strange to me, sitting where it is. I think that it would look better if you lowered it so it was sitting right above the nav bar, and perhaps give it an image to make it settle in more. Perhaps have a rounded box coming out of the bottom of the nav bar and have the search sit in there. I don't know, I'm sure you can think of something even better, I just feel like the search box was kind of slapped on there at the last moment in a space that was available. And if you want safari users to love you you can take a look at this for your search box. :P

Thanks Alex, that's a really nice link. Very well laid out, so I've decided to take it all on board!! I've got two notepad windows open right now, trying to mod the site's php for those nice safari features (type=search and also the history search feature) :D *It's done! so basically it seems to fall back nicely and i'd like to know if those two safari features worked...I was thinking it would be nice to style the searchbox with those rounded corners, like it appears on a mac. If you know how to do this, I'd love to hear it :P

Here is a link to an article which explains a method for styling of Input fields.
Be warned that the input field stling is Browser dependant and may not work in all Browsers exactly the same.
Even still, it might be worth a try. :D

http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/inputfile.html

topic seemed to have disappeared, so I created it again!

It was moved to SPAM because you had no contributing post except for your URL. This is just advertising your website for link traffic. It's against our forum rules.

Although this time it's an improvement but in the future, if you want to have people review your site, try naming your topic title differently--say I would like your opinion on my web site--and try to be descriptive in your post.

It was moved to SPAM because you had no contributing post except for your URL. This is just advertising your website for link traffic. It's against our forum rules.
Although this time it's an improvement but in the future, if you want to have people review your site, try naming your topic title differently--say I would like your opinion on my web site--and try to be descriptive in your post.

Wow... I'm not quite sure what to say! I'm sorry that was what happened, next time as you suggested I'll use a different topic title.
You can have my word, I'm not after link traffic. I don't have any ads or get anything from it, so there's nothing in that for me! I suppose I would always like more visitors, but I've gone after that by joining with thedailyrant.co.uk and we get a couple of visitors from them....