xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

My favourite Anti-Virus programs...

I have 3 programmes I use regularly to keep the nasty bugs out:

1) Norton Anti-Virus (which came with the computer)

Not bad, when I first got broadband, it was flashing on and off as sooo many viruses seemed to come in (we had hardly any on 56K dial-up, but suddenly - wow!)

2) Zone Alarm firewall

Absolute MUST have if you decide to venture onto the internet... it's really cool, asks you about all your programmes and you can configure it to always allow or disallow something (as opposed to other programs which secretly block things that haven't got viruses grrr).

3) Yahoo! Toolbar Anti-Virus

This is a brilliant program that comes with the Yahoo! toolbar companion (it's the little yellow icon with the crosshair). It's even better than Spybot Search and Destroy! The scan doesn't freeze your computer and takes only seconds - it even catergorises the adware and spyware it finds into "dangeous" and "be aware of" categories! The Yaho! Toolbar Ad-blocker is also very useful... I like! :D

I don't use any antivirus protection, but if I had to pick one I'd go for Mcafee. I heard it's very good... and even better than Norton!

2) Zone Alarm firewall

Absolute MUST have if you decide to venture onto the internet.

I had ZoneAlarm for a while & my PC virtually ground to a halt with it on. :D

So I got Sygate Personal Firewall instead - does all the things ZoneAlarm does but without the poor overall performance and my antivirus is Avast!

I don't use any antivirus protection, but if I had to pick one I'd go for Mcafee. I heard it's very good... and even better than Norton!

150421[/snapback]

I also do not use Anti-Virus but if I did pick, I would go with Sophos.

I had a computer with 177 Virus's infected on it. Norton did not find 1 even after Updating. I installed Sophos, updated and found all 177 and disinfected, computer runs so much smoother now.

I had ZoneAlarm for a while & my PC virtually ground to a halt with it on.  :D

So I got Sygate Personal Firewall instead - does all the things ZoneAlarm does but without the poor overall performance and my antivirus is Avast!

150426[/snapback]

True dat. Zonealarm is for newbies on the internet, so naturally, it's really not that good.

If you wanna know which antivirus programs are the best (detection rate and how much memory they use), then I recommend you look at this post: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Follow the links in that post also, so you can see how each popular antivirus programs performed. The results will be quite surprising to some.

Follow the links in that post also, so you can see how each popular antivirus programs performed. The results will be quite surprising to some.

None of the links work.

None of the links work.

150434[/snapback]

Eek, you're right....

Hmm, well, the post is a pretty good read, and it pretty much summarizes what the tests results were. Basically, Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Pro and Outpost Firewall Pro are the best antivirus and firewall programs because Kaspersky has a detection rate of 99% and Outpost was the firewall that performed the best in the leak tests.

Basically, Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Pro and Outpost Firewall Pro are the best antivirus and firewall programs

Maybe I'm not reading it right but I don't see any mention of Outpost in there. Sygate & Kerio are the 2 best ones mentioned.

The Shield Pro 2005 is the BEST on out on the market. It provides essential virus protection from viruses, hackers, and privacy threats. Easy to use, protect yourself, your family, and your PC online with The Shield Pro 2005. The Shield Pro 2005 gives you 1 year of protection and PCSecurityShield gives you all the free technical support you need to successfully protect yourself. Other virus company charge a fee just to get help installing their program.

You can try out the new beta of mcaffee for free at:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You can also download the firewall, the privacy service and the anti spam service. I dont know how much longer it will remain free but it looks like a really good anti virus program. I just ran a virus scan last week and it found 2 viruses that my old norton wasnt even aware of. It also eleminated a couple of unwanted programs that could be related to spyware. Im probably going to buy it when it comes out.

I am not much of a computer expert, so most programs I use, my friends recommend to me... So, for anti-virus program, I can't really say which is the best, but I use AVG anti-virus. It is free, and has kept me pretty safe so far (knock*knock*knock on wooden desk :P)...

You can freely download it from here AVG Anti-virus Free and try it