xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

I have disabled the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Firewall. I think that Zonelabs Zone Alarm is much better to handle my protection. It's free and you can configure almost anything. I love the fact that I can enable or disable internet access for every program that runs on my computer. I also use freeware antivirus software.

Definately dont use windows firewall, i dont trust them that much. Although i do use a firewall, i use Nortons FireWall, but i also recomend ZoneAlarm, which is freeware, well you can also get pro tho but that cost some $$$.

I think some of the best are Zone Alarm and Norton Anti-virus and Error Guard are really good. I have all of them and In a long time I haven't gotten a virus in a while. I used to get them a lot and I would have my cousin drop the computer and put everything back into it. If I had to pay for all the times he had to do it I would be broke. But yes those are all really good and just scan things before you open them.

And what exactly do you "design" on linux? can you tell me one vector based application for linux, that works with industry standards?

35217[/snapback]

FinalDesign, there are too many Linux software, I can't simply pick it out of SourceForge or Tucows to find it, you must go around the internet for that. Since I'm not in designing, I don't know any Linux design software. The GIMP which has the same standards as Adobe Photoshop and that's all I know actually.

xboxrulz

I recomend Norton AntiVirus. I have always used it, and it has proven to be reliable. The only disadvantage is it is a drain or resources. I notice my boot up time to be a lot slower with Norton installed.

So as most of the members have written here it seems that windows firewall is not good for use. Now I am thinking again to switch back to zone alarm from windows sp2 firewall.

For free?

I'm using Avast Antivirus now, great, I think!

Avast Antivirus

To Buy?

Before Avast, I was using Panda Antivirus, a good virusscanner, and not expensive :)

Panda Software

If I were you?

First, try the Avast Antivirus for about a month, and then try the Tryversion of Panda Antivirus. After that you can chose what you want.

I wouldn't buy the Norton antivirus if I were you. It's a number one computer slower... :)

I use service pack 2, but I turn off the firewall that comes with it. It blocks certain applications without notifying me. I personally like Norton Firewall the best, it has proven that its reliable, and it always warns me when a application trys to get access to the internet

Hi all,Just a few notes on firewall functionality.First, Windows firewall DOES NOT BLOCK ALL outgoing ports/processes/applications etc. from accessing the net. This is a MAJOR security problem if you get a trojan/worm etc. that can turn your puter into a "zombie" & could get you "blacklisted" by your ISP. Blacklisted means your ISP will cut off your internet access & it's extremely difficult to convince them to re-start your service(ie. LOTS of begging etc.).Second, Zone Alarm & Kerio DO BLOCK all outgoing access permissions to the net unless you specifically tell them to allow the program to go there. Have heard some complaints here at the forums re: this - but HEY -thats what a good firewall is supposed to do. Just as a side note - personally heard Kevin Mitnik say that Zone Alarm "is the best" firewall out there. Yes thats a real quote from a broad cast radio interview. If you won't take my word for it maybe you'll take the word of a master hacker or maybe check out Kevin's security site on the web.True these firewalls are not for "beginners" but when was the last time you got something really top notch excellent without putting at least some personal effort into it?Hope this helpsRGPHNX

I have also installed Windows XP SP2 firewall. It is working fine, but there is a problem with my antivirus.

I am using Norton Antivirus 2004. Wherenever, my system boots it shows "Unable to protect C:" and I have to close that message box to use Norton Antivirus.

I have scanned two or three times my computer for any virus threat, but it has shown only one or two viruses.

What does it mean? Is it due to XP SP2 firewall, because earlier I this message was not appearing.

63639[/snapback]

Try reinstalling your Norton Antivirus, and if that doesnt work, look on Symantecs site under troubleshooting. I had a similar problem with Norton 2005.

HiWhen I had my first PC a few years ago, people started mentionning viruses and that protection was needed, I never bothered thinking that viruses were not directed at simple users like me but companies until the day when I got nailed with a worm of some kind that paralysed my system.I went to the store after talking to a few friends and bought Norton anti virus, installed it and it fixed the problem, I was very pleased.I have been updating it for about 6 years now and haven't contracted any viruses that I am aware of.For me it's a small price to pay, so norton gets my vote.Patrick