xisto Community
OpaQue

The Younger Generation Is More Intelligent ! Do you think so ?

they new generation is more use to newer stuff, like programs and stuff,and they learn quicker because they are yonger...more intelligent... not really...

It appears to me that today's society does not accept people who are smarter, or as they see it, "better" than them. This is why there are so many people who are idiots and who act liek idiots. If being intelligent wasn't rejected by society, than I would say that my generation is smarter, but I can't.

It's important to nail down what's really being asked here. 'Intelligence' can mean a lot of different things. Older folks tend to use their experience to make quick, intuitive decisions, and younger folks tend to adapt quickly to new ideas or ways of thinking. These are just different kinds of intelligence (experiential and rational).

There are several systems for classifying intelligence - I had only heard of the first one before today.

Be careful not to equate knowledge and intelligence. Even an idiot can memorize information, but it takes intelligence to put it to use. And let's not forget wisdom... wisdom and intelligence are closely related.

"Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." (unknown)

So we have knowledge, intelligence, and wisdom. And multiple kinds of intelligence.

33360[/snapback]

You hit on the point I was going to make, the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

I say this the younger generation may be more intelligent, but has less wisdom and common sense and knows less truth.

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I just do my work, go by my own rules, stay nice, don't make fun of people (unless they ask for it), kick butt, eat food, go to sleep, and repeat.Being 15, I feel that there are a lot of people out there with less than the standard I.Q. as far as common things go. I find a lot of this while I'm either at school or online playing World of Warcraft. Some people just don't get things and it makes me upset because I've always known some sort of answer to something.I've been GT since about kindergarten but I was late in developing mentally. My mom taught me how to read when I was two and I mastered fractions by second grade. I'm on more of an average level here in High School but I'm a whiz at Latin, being Certamen captain, and I'm also a member of our JV Academic Team. I love to express myself, and I try not to be snobby while doing it. But I feel that my genes came from somewhere else than my parents at times. They're from India, but they're fluently tri or quadri-lingual. Yet, sometimes, they don't seem to grasp the innate workings of things that I'm all too quick to shout out. It drives my mother and me into fierce arguments about how "I should have been quiet so I wouldn't make people look bad" whereas my defense is that "they should have known that - I know that and I can't do anything about it!". Another annoyance of mine are gameshows. The things I learn in school helped me get about $250,000 on the online version of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, but I feel I would have far less success on the show regardless of the questions. So yeah, I like being intelligent, but I despise ignorant people. I won't yell at you but I will pound furiously on things.

I don't know about the younger generation being more intelligent... I've noticed them actually getting a bit dimmer, if I may say so myself. They way they talk, the way they write and type and spell, and the things they do and they ways they act. Rather scary sometimes. I don't know how much intelligence is behind some of those kids. Though some youth are very intelligent, I know. I just don't know how intelligent the younger generation is getting as a whole...

My thought is that every generation is equally intelligent. The reason for this is each generation has the same amount to learn and continue to learn because it is proportional. The younger generation ends up taking a lot for granted that the previous generations had to learn about.

the reason is, when you are growing up, u think of unneeded stuff(dirty stuff and such) which takes up the spaces in brain used to think about the stuff u were thinking (duh)well, at lest thats what my uncles said...

looking at the question from the angle of an "old person" the younger generation always thinks that they are more intelligent! I remember at 15, 16 thinking that I knew everything that I needed to know in life. And adults would say, "when you are my age you will know that... blah blah blah" and it would just go in one ear and out the other. Now I am a grown up and I want to say things like that to kids everyday.

Not because the current generation is exposed to the latest technology means theyare more intellegent. Some of the technology today make people more lazy, they do not study their lessons the way our parents did. They would just search the internet for their reseach papers, and they do not actually read them. Some do not acknowledge their sources, printing those search studies as if those were of their own writings and study.But the children's brain now are more advanced than people of yesterday, i guess, because there are sciences that deals with how the children should be brought to life. Before, parents would just let kids as kids. The gifted are not well taken care of because the parents do not know how to deal with their gifted sons and daughters. Unlike now, children are considered gifted and are being thought how to use musical instruments and drawing materials to know their abilities.

Nowadays they are teaching stuff you learn in 6th grade to like 5th graders. Just advancing ahead. They have all this technology and new teachers with new methods of teaching and it works. I feel stupid when this little kid knows more than i did when i was in that grade.They have like touchable overhead screens, new computers, and all this stuff. I'm jealous. Well it depends on what part of the country or city too. Some cities can provide their children with the best things.

My opinion is that it is doesn't matter whether the younger generations are smarter or not. It depends on what are they doing to be a intelligent person. If like sitting here, doing nothing then the next 10th generation of ours would be a kind of nerds or something like that.These are my opinions :)

Hm...this is a realy interesting topic for discussion,why?Because,I do have a few positive and a few negativ critiques about the younger generation..First of all,yes they are more inteligent then some of us but why?I don't know about you but in our country there was a few person before 10-20 years a computer in their home...today,almost every home has one,so they can see some stuff and things,what we only saw in some movies or something like that,mobile phone?Hm...that was a rarity to..technology is amazing today,you don't have to go anywhere and you can learn many things from your home...that is the reason for their intelligence,I think..but there is something else..there is their and the olders generation behavior..I think that the tecnology of today,has a bad influence on their behavior,their communication with other people,their respect for all the people.They think that their are the only smart persons,nobody is like them,etc...that is my negative critique.Simple,if we had so many options for learning..we would be inteligence too.. ;)

Well... It is very disputable if young ones are more intelligent, or just more informed...In my opinion, they aren't more intelligent, just better informed than we were when we were their age. There is distinct difference between intelect and knowledge & informness... I agree with kitty, and several others, when I say they just think they are more itelligent, and smarter than us. In some fields, yes, sure they are smarter... But, what about experience (if my dad could hear me now :P he always says to me "you will never have my experience", even though I'm 24 ;))Perhaps some later generations will be more and more intelligent, as human kind evolves, but I think at the moment, thei're just as intelligent as us...As for the respect of the elders... Don't even get me started on that :P They don't have any! They think just because they can turn on their new computer, they know everything about computers, and if they know how to get to the internet, they call themselves hackers :P And it's the same in all aspects of life... They thing they know everything about everything... That's their mistake... Never give yourself more credit than you deserve...So, to all you youngsters outthere: show more respect for us elders, you're gonna be our age soon :P

maybe in terms of technology but as for general knowledge, no chance .... I'm shocked at how little the younger generation seem to know about the "real world" ....

of course this is a generalisation .... they're will be exceptions ....

Posted Image