xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cool_Freaker

Age Of Empires I

So I got the original Age of Empires. I set it on easiest and tried to get a feel for the game. I got owned. Hard. 1 enemy heavy calvary killed all my villagers, entire army, and all my priests.Then I started a new game. I got 10 calvary units, 10 Academy units, and I stormed their base. I got owned. Hard. Catapult triremes and catapults owned me.Unlike AoE 2, in AoE 1, whoever has the most catapults wins apparently. Then I made a lot of Helipolises, which worked, but they had like 20 priests which converted half. After I killed all the priests, they made more and converted the other half...

I've played that game a lot. Actually, I have it! It's really easy on easy once you get the hang of it. like get food and stuff first, and then get the military. You have to upgrade to get higher and more stuff. You need food and 2 buildings from your current age. Just keep trying and you will be sure to be good one day!

2 is pretty easy. Haven't played 3 yet. I know it is crazy. My bro is 8 and he is like the master at #1! I guess the first one is more challenging that the others.

I have the first and the third one. The first time I play AOE 1 I got owned too, but you have to realize what's important to win. Get LOTS of villagers and then try building an army is my advice. I do think 1 is harder than 3. Good luck and keep trying!

So I got the original Age of Empires. I set it on easiest and tried to get a feel for the game. I got owned. Hard. 1 enemy heavy calvary killed all my villagers, entire army, and all my priests.
Then I started a new game. I got 10 calvary units, 10 Academy units, and I stormed their base. I got owned. Hard. Catapult triremes and catapults owned me.

Unlike AoE 2, in AoE 1, whoever has the most catapults wins apparently.

Then I made a lot of Helipolises, which worked, but they had like 20 priests which converted half. After I killed all the priests, they made more and converted the other half...

Haha for the most part a lot of RTS's are like that. To be honest the stratedgy in most of the games is actually just to go in fast than anything. I loved AoE and I wasn't too bad at it. Then again, I just play defense and let the Wonder do the work (Win automatically in 2000 "days"). It was a little cheap but still got the job done. When I played without wonders I usually still set up a wall and played a little bit of defense while my other men went around the back way. If you just try and hold out while the enemy attacks you, send your men around and take out their village which is often ungaurded. And yes catapaults do own :unsure:; priests own more though! haha.

Jester

I played number one also but it was long time ago and I officially stopped playing when age of empires two got its expansion package. So one is good and interesting and it has great campaigns however as I see some of you played defence. Well my tactic was usually ofensive for the bigger time of the game. I could say that first several minutes I was playing like defence to dvelop my units but than I started attacks.It is easy to some extent but in this case we could say that number two is really betterthen number one and it is really more interesting and funny and it had multiplayer so it was my multiplayer game.I still remember how I played it over slow dial up :unsure:

Age of Empires I I thought was a lot better than it's successors (I've never played Age of Empires III but I have played Age of Empires II and I was a bit... disappointed). It was a lot more fast paced and it's graphics were pretty amazing for the time they came out. But some of the controls in the game were annoying, but that was maybe because I was too used to playing Starcraft, Warcraft II and Warcraft III as well as the Command and Conquer games. There were so many different civilisations, but they lacked variety, although some techniques of gameplay required only using certain civilisations, which made it slightly more interesting. In terms of difficulty, Age of Empires I was also a hell of a lot more harder than Age of Empires II (I loved the Castle in Age of Empires II though!). The cheats in Age of Empires I were also... amusing.

Age of Empires I I thought was a lot better than it's successors (I've never played Age of Empires III but I have played Age of Empires II and I was a bit... disappointed). It was a lot more fast paced and it's graphics were pretty amazing for the time they came out. But some of the controls in the game were annoying, but that was maybe because I was too used to playing Starcraft, Warcraft II and Warcraft III as well as the Command and Conquer games. There were so many different civilisations, but they lacked variety, although some techniques of gameplay required only using certain civilisations, which made it slightly more interesting. In terms of difficulty, Age of Empires I was also a hell of a lot more harder than Age of Empires II (I loved the Castle in Age of Empires II though!). The cheats in Age of Empires I were also... amusing.

I completely agree with this post here. It seems to be this way with most games though. The first one is great, and really builds up anticipation for the next ones, and then BAM! they shoot down our wishes by giving us a piece of crap. If you notice, it is as if the game companies decide that graphics are more important than the gameplay(but then again, a lot of people won't even play games with bad graphics, solely because they just bought their new $3000 pimped out computer and do not want it to go to waste.)

As for the cheats thing, I loved making the cars and just pounding buildings in like two or three hits. I think that was in the first Age of Empires at least, might have been the second one.

I did like, however, when they upgraded the farms by allowing the villagers to auto remake them. That's probably the best upgrade they ever added to the series. Nothing sucked more than looking at your farms and finding out you had 40+ people just sitting there due to having already cleared their farm out.

This all seems to be a little different when it comes to Command and Conquer, though. In my personal opinion Red Alert 2 and Command and Conquer 3 were by far the best of the series(excluding of course Renegade)

Me and my buddies used to play AoE online all the time. As was stated earlier, I always used to play heavy defense and wait for the wonder to win the game for me.One of my buddies was mega good at the game though and could break any defense I set up. I would have layers and layers of walls with loads of towers between each layer. He would bring in siege and as soon as I brought in my force to take the siege out, he would have the perfect counter for that, normally elephants of horse archers.AoE 2 and 3 really never did anything for me. AoE the original will always be where it's at!

Agreed, but AoE 1 was also pretty easy compared to the rest. I mean, you could sit back for 45 mins and build up your base so you'd have an actual war, or you could opt out of that and just go rush their base within the first 10 minutes and pretty much guarantee your win.I guess that's the only real bad part about npc's. They concentrate on the same thing everytime so when you play against them you can already tell what they're going to do, and when they're going to do it. Against other players, it's a whole different game. Sadly I never really played it online due to my slow ISP.Now I just play mmorpg's instead of rts's, :lol:.

I don't really remember the original Age of Empires to well, but I have the game and I used to be pretty good at it. I remember playing maps that had a combination of land and water so I could use siege and those catapult boats. (Don't remember what those are called.) I always hated how the computers would have hundreds of priests converting your units. Oh well it offered a challenge.Age of Empires II is probably my favorite. Even if it isn't as hard as the original. It takes place during my favorite period in history, I guess that was a plus for me. I also loved the scenerio maker... That was always fun to make huge battles with.Age of Empires III is great to. I think it's lacking a few things though. I think it takes place during the most boring time period... One reason why I somewhat dislike it. Overall all three games a excellent. Their my favorite RTS games.

XD. I never actually played Age of Empires online, by the time I actually TRIED, the Internet service thing was already quite dead, so there were no games available apart from the usual primitive method of Local Area Network connection games. Something else I noticed too, you only need one CD for 3 people! How convenient, most of the time you need one CD per person.If the controls for Age of Empire 1 was more starcraft/warcraft RTS oriented, and that the population was raised to say... 200 or so... then that would be mad. Massive army fights. Just a bit harder to control.