xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cool_Freaker

Age Of Empires I

I think i spent a lot of hours on it since 1997 but as soon as AOE 2 was released , i began playing it .The third game in the series is not as good as the first two , at least that's what i think .

I completely agree with this post here. It seems to be this way with most games though. The first one is great, and really builds up anticipation for the next ones, and then BAM! they shoot down our wishes by giving us a piece of crap. If you notice, it is as if the game companies decide that graphics are more important than the gameplay(but then again, a lot of people won't even play games with bad graphics, solely because they just bought their new $3000 pimped out computer and do not want it to go to waste.)

What are you talking about, you agree? Seriously? AoE 1 had civilizations that were much the same, the gameplay was the same every time you played, and the graphics for the first were decent for their time...

I like AoE II much better. The strategy of base building actually comes into play. A poor layout can cripple you, while a good layout can make you invincible.

Plus, you'll run into generic race types no matter what rts you're playing, merely because too many playable races cause repetition. You can't make races both simple and unique, unless you have about three or four race types. If you have ten to twenty races, all you're doing is modifying certain aspects and keeping the rest.

Starcraft is a good example of this: they're able to have unique races by keeping down the number. Jack up the number of races and pretty soon you have to start generalizing the units.

AOE 1 would have to one of my fondest games. In high school i set myself the challenge of finishing it as quickly as possible. So i would come home from school and allow 3 hours for it. It took me 3 weeks which probably isn't extraordinary but i appreciated the challenge nonetheless.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

ive gotta say, I'm replaying AOE 1 and its pretty difficult, to actually play you have to rush, you have to start off and take your enemy right off the bat, and take thier resorces. Its pretty fun, tho I'm used to the later games way of playing. #3 was a bit.. Lacking, but amazing graphics... Which prolly held my attention. Plus I like all history so its different sence in units def kept me thrilled until... I grew up. Lol

but I gotta say # is my favorite. I went thru everything, and nothing beats the expansion, with the aztecs. Thier jag. Worriers rule out every other unit... They are deadly! you have 20-30 of them, you win the game. Simple as that.

but I still get amused for the graphics of weapons and boats from AOE 3, but one has its difficulty that the others don't have. It took me several times to beat the first scenerio, kept getting owned, finally devised plan that was fool proof. Defeated all enemy's... But had to build farms... Never explained how to do that. Spen half an hour figuring it out. ... Tough.