xisto Community
drh

Living Without Computer Today - Is It Possible?, How much time eats your computer? ;)

For me, it depends on how much work I have to do. Basically, my schedule is built asking me these questions in this order:1- Do I have important work? Yes, so spend time doing that.2- Do I have something to do out there with my friends? Yes, then use remaining time for that.3- Do I still have spare time (i.e.: nothing to do)? Yeas, then go on the computer.

Well, there are still a lot of people in the world who don't have a personal computer. They seem to make by just fine without one. For most people it's because they grew up without one and were used to not having one but I'm sure there are others that just have grown up without the need. As for myself? It could be sort of hard to get rid of my computer habits. I spend a lot of time in a day on my computer, usually depending on what I do after school or whatever, but my computer time may cut down some once I'm able to drive starting next week because I'll be able to go out and do more than I can normally do. It'd be hard though to do it altogether because now that they are so common, teachers require students to type up work, which ya can be done at a library but it's nice to have the resource at home. I can spend as little as 1 to 6 hours a day on the computer, it ranges though a lot.

Somehow I doubt I can live without computers, or even the internet. It would kill me to have to edit a hand written essay, and it would cause so many problems if I needed to use the library for resources, and talk to people on the phone. In fact I don't remember using a phone for quite a while. Computers are really amazing if you ask me.

Like many others, I tend to use the computer lots for many reasons (at work, at home, and the like). But have to say that most wont be able to live without a computer today, and even if they werent invented. There will still be some form of technology, which will be a neccessity.But in my experience, yes I can balance things, eg go a weekend without it and the like. Eg head out and do something, spend the night at the pub and the likes. Even on holidays I can go some days without it. But since work involves using a computer, I'm pretty much on it a lot.

I've go the same problem with my family members :P, and I spend like 10-12 hours a day in front of my computer, so if you call yoursell an computer maniac then i'm one too :P. These days it's hard to survive without the computer or the internet, in my opinion, because computers manage everything I'm not just talking about your little PC at home think about the Industry and all the computers to control or manage the robots in the factories

Edited by DarkSpike (see edit history)

I really dont think i could live without my computer - It sounds sad, but i kind of use my computer to escape the way ii have no friends. Strangely, having no friends is not a result of being a 'nerd'. Infact, when had friends (they were not really, computer users - Just instant messaging, Social networking, and the odd piece of work) They found me being a 'nerd' hillarious. It was a great laugh!!But no, I couldnt live without my computers. Im infront of a computer the moment i get in.When im not ice skating, or scuba diving, im in front of my computer. (or 'nerding,' as i call it!)But its not just me - society wouldnt work without computers - even large clocks rely on computers so they dont drift, Shops would have to use manual cash registers, TV wouldnt exist. Virtually all electronic devices are controlled by some kind of microcomputer.The world wide web - how would the world cope without it - comunications would colapse.And more and more things are controoled by desktop and laptop computers.NOTHING WOULD WORK WITHOUT COMPUTERS.

Wow. I didn't know that there were so many people like me too. My parents are like the original poster's, they think that I spend too much time on the computer and that I am only using for 'fun' and 'games' and stuff. Actually, I do spend a lot of time and do have fun on the computer but it is not only that. The computer is how I get my source of news everyday and how I connect with others outside of school. To answer the original poster's question about living without a computer today, I think that is nearly impossible. There are computers in many things today that we don't even think about - such as appliances and devices and phones. I probably spend about 5 hours a day on a normal school day and since it's summer right now, I definitely spend a couple more hours than that. But the time I spend is not just 'fun' and things like that. I treat the internet as an opportunity to learn and soak up as much information that I can.

Sure, I use the computer a lot and everyone whines, but I can live without it. When we went on vacation, I used to bug my parents to go to internet cafes every day. Now, I don't care about internet cafes. I found out that there are better things in life than computers, such as going out with friends, meeting new people etc....One of the activities that I found enchanced with the lack of a computer... was the ability to sleep more... heheh... :)

I spend a large portion of my time on computer for various reasons. ( 00.01% = gaming. )I tend to mostly read/learn/and code when I am on my computer.I however only spend time when I have nothing else to do. ( Homework or friends )I also sorta "need" my computer though. I need to for email and looking up information. So in the end, I do rely heavily on my computer...when I use it.

As a computer science student, I spend a lot of time on the computer doing my schoolwork. Even non-computer coursework, I complete most of it on the computer. It's just so much easier and faster to use the internet to obtain the information I need. I find though, in my leisure time, I'd really prefer not to use the computer. I like reading off-screen material more since it isn't as hard on my eyes, and I feel that crafting and working with my hands is more fun than playing computer games. Usually I turn to the computer for entertainment if I don't have my other materials around me, or I'm bored with the reading material I have.In terms of information sharing though, the computer facilitates it immensely. If I want to learn something quickly, I go straight to Google or Wikipedia. If I want to tell someone something, I'll post it on my blog. It's much easier and more convienent that way.

yes still possible but i think you cannot live in the city. almost all things are made out of computers. guess youll be stuck in your bathroom :) (even my bathroom has a audio player guess im stuck in using computers :) )

I use computer 8+ hours/day, and this is my first PC. :lol:

Workplace requires use of a computer, so I'm stuck in front of a screen for 7 hours a day. Also add 3-4 hours usage at home at night. So on average thats about 10 to 11hrs in front of a screen all day. It's pretty tame as opposed to back in my younger days when every kid would have a computer and play games at their house, their mates get a new game and goes over to their house, copy it, etc and so forth. Yes it seems messenger has brought people closer together, even if its only through a computer screen. But one positive about Instant messenging/video messenger programs is that it definitely saves on phone bills, especially if the friend or relatively lives a great distance (eg either interstate or overseas).And if computers weren't made back then, there would likely be an invented alternative that we don't know about which would likely be used in a alternate timeline.

When I had to choose between computer and cell phone. I would get rid of my computer. I would be upset. because first of all I would not be able to browse Xisto forums and reply to posts. I use my computer as my radio. I got myself a logitech 5.1 speaker set, that nearly costs as much as my computer and would miss my music very much when my computer had to go. I would still choose to keep my cell phone. I live alone, and can be afraid of just that at times. But really, i need to stay in touch with my friends and family...so i need my cell all the time. I believed one month i received a text...6 times a day, every day. No world record, but LOL.