xisto Community
Mafian

Favorite Os? What is your Favorite Operating system

Hi everybody. :) Actually, I think each OS has its advantages & disadvantages.Windows 98 is good for office works, because it doesn't require so much PC power (RAM and HD usage is low) and quite fast. But for Internet Win98 isn't advicable (low security).Windows XP is suitable for both internet and office works.Win Vista requirements are very high (uses more storage, RAM, shortly not for weak PC's). But it has very nice interface.Actually, Linux was built for networks.I haven't used MacOS and that's why cant say anything about it.Now I am useing XP. :) No complains...

ok well I've tried many operating systems so far. starting with windows 95 up till windows vista. and I tried Linux as well but I had some bad experience with it. so anyway, I think the best operating system so far is windows vista. It's really fast, the graphics is awesome, the performance is relatively good, it's well organized, but I had some problems using it for games. and too bad I didn't have a legit copy because over here in my country it's hard to buy legit software. so I used it for around 2 months and then I had to remove it after all the cracks wouldn't work.

I'm currently running Linux Mint. It's a modification of Ubuntu, which adds an all-in-one menu with search feature (like Vista), includes w32codecs and DVD support from clean install, Beryl by deafult and also some extra cool tools which help you when you need to configure stuff. It's got its own look and feel which I prefer to Ubuntu's by far.

My favorite Operating system would be Windows xp at the moment, I have it tuned so that performance is increased, it hasnt given me a lot of problems. Though I would really like to try linux with beryl.

I like Ubuntu the best. Its a free Linux distro available from shipit.ubuntu.com.Kubuntu, a sister/brother project, is good too. But a bit slower.

Ok i love any OS actually since i use all of them. Currently i am on my Windows XP laptop but i tend to use my Vista laptop the most. I also have a Linux laptop that i use for a bunch of my classes since we have to use the gcc compiler and develop on my schools server so i can X-forward very easily if i just use Linux. Also, i have a copy of Tiger on my old dell desktop using some tricks on the internet to allow the new intel tiger os to work on any intel pc as long as you have a SSE2 processor (but it prefers SSE3).My favorite linux distro has to be SUSE. The reason is that it just was the one that i felt the most comfortable with when i initially started using linux. Now they all feel very similar but i like SUSE's tools for their version the best.

Although I do not use it, I've always liked OS/2, or rather its successor eComStation. It's quite nice and can run several binary formats, but unfortunately it wasn't made for my computer, so I just use Ubuntu and Windows. For some reason it doesn't support most of my hardware, just like many Linux distributions I have tried. One of the biggest problems is the lack of support for my widescreen monitor.

I am new to the forums and im posting to get free hosting, and i would like to know what people like to use on there computer Ive played with ubuntu, but a friend of mine said go straight to linux so i wanted to hear a few suggestions about what he has considered do you think i should try linux?

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution.....its what i'm using
a few other Linux distributions: Red Hat, Slackware, Suse, etc.

I know I've have test ran between 11 to 13 Linus ditributions namely: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, ReactOS, Redhat 9, Redhat 10, Mandrake Linux, mandriva Linux, Berry Linux, Damn Small Linux, PCLinuxOS, etc.

I have also test ran the Sun Operating system called Solaris. U know, I just love to have a feel of what these OSes are like and depending on the situation and environment I fnd myself in, that will determine what I am gonna use.

At the moment, I am using only Windows (XP professional w/SP2 and Vista Ultimate) on my PC and currently downloading Windows Server 2008 Beta 2 (Web Server version and Datacentre version.) I am most probably gonna install them to my System after download, but that will be after I upgrade my Computer. Currently using 240GB (80GB x 3) and thinking of going up to 2.35TB (750GB x3).

I don't have a favourite OS, because I'm not a slave of the software companies, I'm just use what I need.For design I go always with OS X.For research, I love Linux.But, for fun and productivity, Windowze. I hate uncle Gates, but this man spread this OS worldwide and most of the people use Win System.So, there's no favourites, just convenience.

I've always liked Debian-based operating systems and have used pure Debian for a number of years. Most recently, I have switched over to Ubuntu for my home servers, and use Linux Mint for my desktop. I have Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop (dual-boot with XP), that I'll be wiping out soon to put Linux Mint on it. Check it out; they have GNOME and KDE editions.I also think Mepis is an excellent choice, but honestly haven't tried it in about a year or so. But back when I did, I was highly satisfied!p.s. I also use Windows XP when need be.

I am currently using Windows Vista Ultimate. Despite having Windows Xp Professional and Windows Web Server 2008 installed in the same system, I rarely use them

hi friends, I have used OS X for the last few years (sorry) and Ubuntu recently, however prior to that I used Windows exclusively and I still do for work. I have run everything from 3.1 to XP. I have not had Vista on my own computer as of yet, but I have used it at a local computer store (1gb RAM). If you open a Vista interface, ie Aero or Media Player, and move it around your desktop with the mouse, watch what happens to your CPU, it pegs it,So much for multi-tasking on Vista. From what I have read though, it's security features are much better than XP (read on) and its Networking is far superior to any other version of Windows. Personally, my favorite version of Windows is 2000, it is stabler although a little slower than XP. I also like 98. I do not like XP as I have had to fix problems on an ungodly number of computers that have had OS problems running XP. XP is not bad,IF you know and understand how to maintain it, unfortunately there are far too many people out there who just want to turn their computer on and surf the web, email, etc. and do not maintain their OSMore over Win2k Server. It is way FASTER than XP and I'll tell you why.XP is the abbreviation for experience. Which in Microsoft's understanding means they have included a myriad of error catching code to try and interpret every potential USER input that could cause a fatal error. This additional data validation is what slows it down. With the high speed processors, you don't see it as much, but I am using a 400MHz Celron with 512MB ram and running the same software at home (3D Modeling) as at work, my system is faster than the 2.3GHz XP machine at work.It is extremely accessible for tuning and tweaking, and it's rock solid. I have never had a blue screen in 6 years of use. The server version has a large selection of system tools and Microsoft has lots of free downloads of diagnostic and repair utilities. There are fewer hardware conflicts than any other Microsoft OS. It was the last OS by Microsoft that didn't have to be registered or activated to get updates. It will be supported until 2010 according to MS.bye for now.