xisto Community
jlhaslip

Windoze Live Updates Bug Me [resolved] They wont quit prompting me to restart ...

I need to send Mr Gates an email. Does anyone have his Address?These Updates which run automatically are really bothering me. I am busy trying to do stuff and every 5 minutes the stupid software keeps flashing up and telling me to re-start this machine so it can do its thing (whatever that might be). And that's another problem. What is it trying to update? It does tell you. Another sore point about the Live Update system Mr Bill has come up with. He tells me when and what I need to update. I'm sorry, I am busy. And furthermore, I don't need anything updated. I just got this box and it works fine just the way it is. But what do I know... I just runthis thing, so my opinion does really count, does it?Can anyone tell me how tom shut those annoying Updates off so i can select when and which updates I get to receive? Is there an 'off' switch?Windoze XP SP2 and IE6Thanks, I think I feel better now. Moving this to the Vent Sub-Forum.

oh i thought you were referring to windows update. if that's what you're talking about, i think you could turn it off in the control panel (start > control panel > windows update).the last time i had that same problem, i found out that it was a virus that attacked my pc. you might want to give your system a full scan just in case. sometimes the virus mask itself as a normal winodws program and install itself in the system so when the computer starts, it would run or if you connect to the internet it would "download" stuff that would harm your system.

Does anyone have his Address?

1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052
As for turning off the updates, go into Control Panel and open the Security Centre section. Click the Automatic Updates icon, then select the 4th radio button to turn them off. This means you've got to manually check the Microsoft site for the various updates that are no doubt going to be released for the infinite number fo security holes. Perhaps try the 3rd radio button, which will tell you there are updates, but should ask you first. I got very annoyed with it, so I have set it to check for updates at 3AM on a Tuesday, when my PC is always off. That stops it :P

You go on the website the updates website for windows, then you Click turn automatic updates off.I hope this info was helpful. :P

to turn off Automatic Updates, or change the way it behaves:

1. Log on to your system (Windows XP I am assuming) as an administrator if you aren't one.

2. Right click My Computer, and select Properties.

3. Click the Automatic Updates tab.

4. Set your preferences.

5. Click Apply and then OK.

If you would like a different way to install updates (by hand though), or if Automatic Updates or the Windows Update site don't work, there is an application called Microsoft Baseline Secuity Analyzer. It performs a plethora of security work, from checking password stregnth to (most importantly in this case) scanning for missing updates, and providing links to them. You can fidn the tool at Microsoft's Web site (see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184924.aspx

above replies just about covers it all, jlhaslip. :P [mine goes: start > control panel > system > automatic updates]

Posted Image

and here's bill's email. :D

Well if you dont like it and want to know what it is installing, just have it prompt you when new updates are available. Basically, when new updates are available it will put the yellow shield in your taskbar. Then you can click on it and choose to manually tell it which updates to install. This way you know what is being installed and when you want the updates to install. Personally, i would rather have a secure system rather than not being annoyed but update options.

Thanks everybody. I found the right place. And for now, I choose to have them downloaded, but let me select the time for updates. The first button below the green shield.that should work for now. And I'll change it in the future as I need to. At least this posting is now here as a reference.

I am glad that we all could help! :P ( Personally I think Macs are better! )

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
You should know by now this is a spam post.