xisto Community
jcreuter

Which is a better search engine?Google or Yahoo

is google or yahoo a better search engine?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I was a kid I used to use Yahoo all the time for all of my searching needs. As time passed, eventually I discovered Google, and now it's the only search engine I'll accept for the best results possible. Yahoo was good in the old days, but Google seems much cleaner.

Google is the best for me. It doesn't have a full professional webpage or anything but man, you can search like anything. You can find alot more videos/pictures aswell.Usually when someone asks a question I hear someone say: "Google it"

Hmm what happen to dog pile and the other search engines haha. I think they are the same. but also google I think is only better to some eyes because it is more popular but they do the same thing for search wise. I would go with google tough because its faster to load without all those extra stuff in the way.

In my opinion (keep in mind, that at times I can be very picky) google is a better search engine than yahoo. I find that at times when I search for something on yahoo, very rarely does what I'm looking for come up. Usually just some random stuff with those certain words on it. Dont get me wrong, some stuff is sort of hard to find, but between the two, I think that for the most part google would come up with better things than yahoo. Another site that I would try is ask.com, that one also comes up with some pretty good sites when I search. However, your best bet is google, ask.com is second, and yahoo is third in my opinion. If you try tehem all, I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

hi,Just because something is the most popular doesn't make it the best. Google is generally the choice of the inexperienced internet user because Google have been clever in their advertising and marketed a simple to use search engine. Yahoo on the other hand offers much more to the user and is generally used more by the professional and experienced user. I personally prefer Yahoo and have been using it for around 7 years, but I think that they need to advertise themselves more.On the other hand Google became popular for having reasonable results, but mainly for having the cleanest interface, one text box on a nice clean screen, so it loads quickly, you can find what you want easily, and you don't have to look at lots of graphical ads in the results. Yahoo and altavista, Google's main competition at the time, both have very graphics-heavy, over-loaded front pages in comparison.

Google is great for text searches but some say that Yahoo is better for image searches. Ask.com supposedly has the best image search and I have to agree. Ask even has AJAX to an extent so I feel that it's even greater. I really like Clusty for text searches since it allows you to wade through the crap you only want to wade through. For example, if you were to search for Half-Life, and you wanted information about the scientific phenomena and not the game, you can choose which one you want to search for. There are better examples, though.

I'm not really fun of using google because it kind of a boring site. but as I review some comments and try to compare it slowly with yahoo.. it is more convenient and effecient... LOL-amir

hmm... well to tell you the truth, the only times i have ever used yahoo are when i have needed to use yahoo answers. otherwise, i use google.however, i believe google is becoming polluted. before, it provided search results with the most relevance and best content. now, it is heavily influenced by the so-called 'search engine optimisation', and by its advertising partners... it tends to place websites that advertise on google nearer to the front of your results...also, i have found google to become too dominating these days. i have liked google because it seems to suppoirt open source projects such as firefox. its services seem really neat (im in love with gmail). finally, it has always aimed to put an end to microsoft's evil regime. however, these days i have found google to be just as annoying, corrupt and evil as microsoft... they misuse their great influence over the internet...

hmm... well to tell you the truth, the only times i have ever used yahoo are when i have needed to use yahoo answers. otherwise, i use google.
however, i believe google is becoming polluted. before, it provided search results with the most relevance and best content. now, it is heavily influenced by the so-called 'search engine optimisation', and by its advertising partners... it tends to place websites that advertise on google nearer to the front of your results...

also, i have found google to become too dominating these days. i have liked google because it seems to suppoirt open source projects such as firefox. its services seem really neat (im in love with gmail). finally, it has always aimed to put an end to microsoft's evil regime. however, these days i have found google to be just as annoying, corrupt and evil as microsoft... they misuse their great influence over the internet...

now THIS is the thread that opinios are great....even when people are in disagreement :)

and i am in disagrement with you except when you talked about trying to put an end to microsoft's evil regime :D i loved microsoft back in the day. they created a great operating system and created great programs. problem i have with them today is everything microsoft does now is dependant on what they've done in the past. also, they are are thieves. they buy out the smaller companies that might give them competition in the future or companies that have something they want and when they buy people off, they take the credit. microsoft has gotten way too big and they are a force to be reckoned with now. this is why they find themselves in court all the time because the u.s. government has stepped in. google on the other hand is a reletively new company and hasn't really dominated any one area except for their search engine. they are even in the midst of losing their copywrited name since we are turning their company name in to a word in the english language. google is too new to be too big bud :D i am happy with google right now because they are offering things that no other company has offered in the past. i love new technology that benefits society in general. i don't like the misuse of it like microsoft has done. this is why i am a firm believer in open source.

yes, google put ads on their search results. i didn't like that either BUT if i have to accept them just so google gets paid for all their wonderfull efforts and hard work then so be it. it was also genious of them to start that trend. google adwords was great for small businesses so they could compete even further with the big boys. yahoo hides their paid ads. did you know that? they trick you in to thinking it is part of your search result. google doesn't do this. google is #1, they are not too big, since how can they be when they are a relatively new company? and they continue to offer great services. i hope to god that they never take advantage like microsoft has to where i eventually hate google. i hope that never happens.

also, btw, yahoo isn't a search engine. yahoo is a directory like dmoz. GOOGLE is a search engine why do people not know this yet? yahoo's search results are mostly dependant on other results of other companies.