xisto Community
Matt2

Windows Vista Will you be upgrading?

How contradicting some of the things in this forum htere is post how vista rules and how it is the best windows and so on. And then there is post how vista sucks and so on. It is a bit stuppid wouldn't you agree come on. VIsta is eye candy that is true and it ought to be more stable then windows xp it has still many issues but they are corrected on daily basis in connection to the xp when one should wait several months before he could recieve updates and security issues corrected.Microsoft is doing better job with windows vista then it has doen with the windows xp.

Well I guess Vista is one of those things; you either love it or you hate it. Just remember what your pop always told you, "don't knock it unitl you try it." Personally, I'm not knocking it and I'm not trying it.I'm not going to upgrade. I'm using XP and plan to switch to Linux by 2009? (when XP is no longer supported). I've always wanted to use Linux so this is a good time I guess. I may indeed dual-boot Linux and Vista but that's not my immediate plan.The one thing I don't like about Vista is idea of eye candy over performance which emphasis it's pull on resources.

Well, if you like the graphics, chances are you are going to have to upgrade hardware. I don't know what you have, but if it's more than a year or so old, the best choice would probably be Linux and Compiz. Does pretty much the same as Aero, and has done for years.

I really don't want to start flaming people for installing or *gasp* using Vista, but I will say that you, sir, deserve a severe beating with a number of sticks of varying dimensions. With nails in them.

Why not to buy Windows 1. Security Long-overdue User Account Protection, blah, blah, blah. Every single UNIX varient on the planet has had this for over twenty years. Starting to catch up, ay Microsoft? What are the odds that this will happen without more new holes? 2. Internet Explorer 7 Firefox is avalable now. With better tab handling. And better rendering. âBut IE7 has âprotected modeââa limited-rights mode that prevents third-party code from reaching your system.â So? Itâs all just a fancy name for turning off ActiveX. And you can turn ActiveX back on⌠3. Righteous eye candy Allow me to call OS X, e17, X.org, etc. Plus, you can make the Unix interface look like anything. Even something that lets you get work done. 5. Better updates Yâ know something? Windows is the only operating system that updates using a web browser. Itâs stupid, itâs always been stupid. Need I mention that OS X and Linux donât do it? 6. More media Wow! Microsoft can copy Apple by making clones of the iLife stuff. Not even good clones. Use this handy chart to figure it out: Windows Media Player - iTunes The Windows Photo Gallery - iPhoto Movie Maker - iDVD Did I mention that everything will be DRMed? âThere are even some nice new games tucked into the bundle.âIâve seen some of those new games. Solitaire, even when rendered in 3d, is still boring. 7. Parental controls Third party software has been able to do this for eons. The sad thing is that, knowing Microsoft, the third party software will still be the way to go. 8. Better backups Already have good backup software on Windows, already have good backup stuff on UNIX. Heck, you can back up all your stuff using cron, if it came down to it. 9. Peer-to-peer collaboration This is called a âwikiâ. Yeah, we all know how great it is. Having in embeded into the OS, though, you just *know* itâll be a great way to spread viruses. 10. Quick setup In the words of someone on Slashdot; âWhy am I running setup more than once anyways?â And, finally, here is reason 11 - Digital Rights Management [slashdot.org]Do you care if your computer is spying on what you do and reporting it? Do you care that Windows Vista supports this crap? Itâs amazing that people are even considering using this stuff. So, what should you do instead of getting Vista? Install Ubuntu. If you donât want to use Linux, get something from Apple. But seriously, for your own good, donât use Vista!

I upgraded to Vista a while back, and OMG! I LOVE it!It really is very nice, but then i found out....that...omg...Steam wasnt working properly on it *cries*. I couldnt even run CS: Source.when i get a new HDD, ill be installing Vista back on here though.To be honest, i do miss Vista and its shinyness.Also, i love the WindowsReadyBoost feature...cant wait to get it back again :lol:

If you guys remeber correctly, when 98se first came out, everyone had to get at least a P1 with 32mb ram, recommended 64mb. That was HUGE back then because everybody had a 486 with 16mb ram. Eventually, everyone upgraded to 98se, but when it was first unveiled it was accused of being a system hog, just like Vista is today. Vista has amazing securities, polished networking features, TONS of drivers, and of course, lots of eye-candy. The only real con is the software mis-compatability, JUST LIKE 98se. But, give Vista about a year--no, no, 6 months--and I guarentee the software issue will be very very minimal. You know, they say that history repeats itself...and as time advances, so does the technological standard. The main reason that everyone hates Vista so much now, also, is because the Beta versions were so easily accessible, and all of the betas were very unstable.I-love-Vista.--Laz

Hey,
Windows Vista was pubically realised worldwide yesterday my time. Will you be upgrading to Vista? Have you upraded to Vista?

I haven't upgraded to it and probably won't. The only time we would get it is if we bought a PC and Windows XP and this PC are doing fine at the moment. The price tag eventually should go down to a price that people would actually be prepared to pay at the moment the most expensive package is around $1000. Most companies will be waiting around a year for everything to settle down before they will plan to upgrade to it.

It looks quite cool but I haven't seen many screenshots of it. I'm just wondering if Apple will have to update their boot camp software for Windows Vista. I think they will be, but it will be a while I think as they are still in beta with the Windows XP version of Boot Camp.

It doesn't look anything amazing to me, it just looks like they have improved on Windows XP.

Heres 100 reasons you'll be speachless with Windows Vista, I'm looking through it now. Click here.

It's okay if you make errors with ur language in typing, but after editing it, it's still wrong and look at the word! Do you know what 'pubic' means? lol :)

Vista looks good, but I hear it buggy, and messes up your computer. There are four types:

Windows Vista Home Basic

Posted Image

Windows Vista Home Basic is ideal for homes with basic computing needs like e-mail, browsing the Internet, and viewing photos. Easy to set up and maintain, it enables you to quickly find what you're looking for on your PC and the Internet, while providing a more secure environment to help protect you from an unpredictable world.

Windows Vista Home Premium

Posted Image

Windows Vista Home Premium is the preferred edition for home desktop and mobile PCs. It provides a breakthrough design that brings your world into sharper focus while delivering the productivity, entertainment, and security you need from your PC at home or on the go.

Windows Vista Business

Posted Image

Windows Vista Business is the first edition of Windows designed specifically to meet the needs of small businesses. You'll spend less time on technology support-related issues-so you can spend more time making your business successful. Windows Vista Business is the definitive choice for your business today and tomorrow.

Windows Vista Ultimate

Posted Image

Windows Vista Ultimate is the choice for those who want to have it all. Easily shift between the worlds of productivity and play with the most complete edition of Windows Vista. Ultimate provides the power, security, and mobility features needed for work, and all the entertainment features that you want for fun.

Windows Vista Enterprise

Designed to significantly lower IT costs and risks, Windows Vista Enterprise meets the needs of large, global organizations with complex IT infrastructures.

Edited by Zachy2411 (see edit history)

Ugh..Vista lol. The only version worth getting is Ultimate, the others are just mix-ups of the features.Vista is vastly superior to XP in many ways.1. Eye Candy: Like everyone says, it is pretty, and so so much prettier than XP.2. Media: Media Player 11 is amazing and pretty (even tho it comes on XP too)3. Games: Wow! Look! A built in X-Fire type thing...how cool is that?4. Security: Vista is alot more secure than XP, and you can also properly rstrict what other users do on your system.Yes everyone will/may have problems with Vista, but just like with XP nothing will be properly fixed until at least SP2.

I decided not to upgrade to Vista until it had reached at least service pack 1. This was mainly because for previous operating systems like XP, when it finally became stable....However, for those who want to "try before they buy", and have a broadband internet connection, just search google for:Microsoft Vista leaked linksFor links to direct downloads from Microsoft's host website of Vista upgrade, which if you have a computer with a large harddrive, you can install over a trial of xp etc. on a seperate partition...